Stomach growling on "long" run

fmr_sailor

I am on Day 13. (However I had about 19 compliant days in July during my other attempts.) Yesterday my stomach growled for the first time on the Whole30. I get hungry but never had a growl. Today I got up and had a hb egg before leaving for my longest run of the week which was seven miles, taking me one hour and 20 minutes. I took a mix of 4 oz coconut water with 12 oz of water because the slight taste of the coconut water helps make me drink. However, the last mile of my run my stomach growled just about the whole way back home!

My question is: should I try eating more pre-WO, or should I take something with me to eat on the run? And if I should take something, what should it be? Thanks!

This may seem like an obvious question but were you actually hungry for the last part of your run? You mention stomach growling but does that mean you were super hungry? Or was the growl more of a noise vs. an actual hunger cue?

I think much depends on how you've been training, how often you run, what your general eating patterns are etc....so overall, what your body is accustomed to prior to running. If you've been doing your long run consistently on Sunday mornings plus eating a bit of protein beforehand and there was no issue, I'd try to narrow down any new variables.

Most runners (myself included) don't like to run with much food in their stomach so we don't tend to eat much beforehand. If you're hungry during your run, I'd probably look at your dinner portions the previous night (before tinkering with pre-WO meals).

I get hungry in my long runs too, and there's two types of run hunger. The bad one is the glycogen depleted, mentally drained, don't want to run anymore, lack of energy. For this you must eat to recover. The other one is growly hunger, I feel like my stomach is an empty black hole ready to suck in any food nearby. It's a desparate feeling of HUNGER but I'm still moving and don't feel like I need to walk. It helps to eat, but I'm ok and often the feeling will pass in a mile or so.

I've learned to avoid the latter by a bigger M1.

My long run this weekend was just over five hours, I ate M1 around 6am, started running around 9am: banana, tablespoons of coconut oil, two eggs, small potato. Stomach didn't growl until noon! *editing also to say that although I follow whole30 guidelines, I'm not in a whole30 right now, this was not an as-recommended template meal, and I'm a FODMAP- and starch-limited athlete. There are no vegges as you don't want those in the gut for a long run like that. This was my M1 blended with a preWO that really only works if eaten hours ahead of the run. On Sunday's 8 miler, I preWOd with three eggs. Just want to be clear on this. My point in detailing the meal was to show that you can keep hunger at bay with a bigger meal. **

If I thought I was in trouble getting home or too distracted to focus, I would have eaten the banana, or maybe half of one and maybe the other half once I got home. (Unless there is another reason you're avoiding fruit?) A 'naner would have quieted your tummy so you could focus on the run. But as you learned, your stomach was empty but your energy stores not depleted. Good lesson to learn!

edited to finish my thoughts!

What time was your run? First thing in the morning? If I only eat a PreWO meal and do a longer run in the a.m., I do get hungry. Good idea to try two eggs next time.

I can't eat meal one before the run. I get up at 6, drink coffee, eat pre-WO and leave. It's was only seven miles, but right now that's my long run. I'm thinking of maybe sticking to just one hb egg, but having some fat with it like mayo or olives, then taking a baby food pouch with me. Should I make sure it just a veggie blend, or can it have fruit and veggies?

I get hungry in my long runs too, and there's two types of run hunger. The bad one is the glycogen depleted, mentally drained, don't want to run anymore, lack of energy. For this you must eat to recover. The other one is growly hunger, I feel like my stomach is an empty black hole ready to suck in any food nearby. It's a desparate feeling of HUNGER but I'm still moving and don't feel like I need to walk. It helps to eat, but I'm ok and often the feeling will pass in a mile or so.

I've learned to avoid the latter by a bigger M1.

My long run this weekend was just over five hours, I ate M1 around 6am, started running around 9am: banana, tablespoons of coconut oil, two eggs, small potato. Stomach didn't growl until noon! *editing also to say that although I follow whole30 guidelines, I'm not in a whole30 right now, this was not an as-recommended template meal, and I'm a FODMAP- and starch-limited athlete. There are no vegges as you don't want those in the gut for a long run like that. This was my M1 blended with a preWO that really only works if eaten hours ahead of the run. On Sunday's 8 miler, I preWOd with three eggs. Just want to be clear on this. My point in detailing the meal was to show that you can keep hunger at bay with a bigger meal. **

If I thought I was in trouble getting home or too distracted to focus, I would have eaten the banana, or maybe half of one and maybe the other half once I got home. (Unless there is another reason you're avoiding fruit?) A 'naner would have quieted your tummy so you could focus on the run. But as you learned, your stomach was empty but your energy stores not depleted. Good lesson to learn!

edited to finish my thoughts!

Only supposed to eat fruit with meal, not workout. At least that's my current understanding.

Ah, yes. Fruit is not a preferred fuel source for WO. But it's not to say you can't eat fruit if you need it. Fruit like a banana has roughly 50/50 glucose/fructose. The glucose would have helped with energy to get you home if you were facing an out-of-gas situation. 

And no, you don't want to eat a M1 before a run. That is why I eat a modified M1 if I know it will be a few hours between eating and running. 

For the baby food packs, you can try one with fruit and veggies or sweet potatoes. I would look at the fiber content and type of sugar to pick one. Unfortunately with my FODMAP limiters, I'm unfamiliar with these packs as most I've looked at are sweet potato and apple based. (and they're so expensive!) 

PS -- One runner to another -- please stop qualifying your run with words like "long" and "only" and "but". You're a runner! You ran 7 miles and that's awesome! I don't know how to put this into words, what I'm trying to say is please don't judge your runs by the distance. Hope what I'm trying to say is clear. :)

PS -- One runner to another -- please stop qualifying your run with words like "long" and "only" and "but". You're a runner! You ran 7 miles and that's awesome! I don't know how to put this into words, what I'm trying to say is please don't judge your runs by the distance. Hope what I'm trying to say is clear. :)

It's "only" because I was regularly doing 10-12 before Whole30. :-)

I had a long run also this weekend, around 4 hours. I got hungry earlier than I anticipated on my long run and so had to fuel earlier which in turn left me without anything to eat towards the end of my run. I was able to finish, but certainly my energy and spirits were drained the last 3 miles. I think 2 things went wrong for this run (not that it was bad run). I didn't eat enough for my M1 (I had 2 eggs, sweet potato and 1/4 avocado). I will add one more egg next time, I think that will help sustain me for a longer time in the run. Also, I didn't carry enough food with me, so I will be sure to put more in my pack next time. I think I ate enough the day prior, but that is another piece of the puzzle that can be looked into.

Archived