At what exercise level do I need a pre/post WO snack?

CRI

I just finished my first Whole30 with great success (!!) and am now eating pretty much the same, but am looking to increase my exercise. Up to this point, I haven't been eating pre/post WO snacks, because my exercise level has been so light (walking and very light weights). I'm now going to start a bit more exercise - swimming (30-60 min) 3 days a week, and then exercise classes 3 days a week (pilates, barre, step, etc.). Do I need to start eating pre/post WO snacks? If not, at what level of exercise do those become necessary?

In case the context is helpful, I'm a 27 y/o female and I'd like to lose about 10-15 lbs. (I'm 5' 10" and ~165 lbs.). I used to be a competitive swimmer and athlete, so these exercise levels are low compared to what I used to do, but definitely reasonable for me.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

I would personally add at least a couple bites of protein post workout on your class days or if you're in the pool for an hour. If you notice an increase in cravings or a decrease in energy or mood you'll know it's time to add some carbs to that post work out snack too. I personally only do a pre-WO snack if I'm working out before breakfast. I prefer to eat a full breakfast meal (but no carbs) prior to workout if I have enough time to digest it. If I'm working out later in the day I just skip it.

Archived