Seafarer W30 Log

Seafarer

NY2LA2Montreal suggested I try a food log... not something I have tried before (at least not publicly LOL)... but I see some nifty bits of advice showing up on these logs, so thanks to NY2LA2Montreal for the suggestion!

Yesterday (Day 3): On the road at 5 am with grandaughter & ex-husband in tow to drive 4 hours, then sit on a beach for 7 hours (holy sunburn!) cheering on the athletes at the event (wonderful son being one of them), and drive home 4 hours. Not being prepared or willing to explain W30 to ex or to child I packed a cooler & grabbed a smoothie on my way out the door.

M1: Smoothie: 20 oz, dried kale, 2 raw eggs, almond milk, flax oil, flax meal, blueberry juice, strawberries, banana, probiotic pill.

Black coffee on the road.

M2: salmon + Cold Sesame Cucumber Noodles (from Well Fed)

Black coffee

M3: scrambled hamburger with yellow beans, green beans, onions, sugar snap peas

Lots & lots & lots of water throughout the day.

Arrived home to learn my neighbour's donkeys had made a mess of my garden - wanted snack.

Snack: club soda with a splash of blueberry juice & lots of deep breathing. :)

I should perhaps add that I dried the kale (so no preservatives etc) and I made the blueberry juice (so nothing but blueberries). The vegs & fruit are grown by me (except bananas!) and the eggs & meat are raised on a farm up the road.

Activity: 5 km walking.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 4:

M1: Smoothie: 2 raw eggs, handful dehydrated kale, flax oil, flax meal, blueberry juice, strawberries, banana, probiotic pill.

M2: Scrambled hamburger with green beans, yellow beans, sugar snap peas, onions.

M3: Handful almonds, brazil nuts. Salmon. Steamed yellow beans, green beans, carrots (3 cups)

Iced black coffee during the day. 2 large glasses water.

Activity: 10 min yoga stretches, 10 min weights, 10 min walk dog. I think the dog got the short end of the stick today!

Day 5:

M1: eggs & zucchini, scrambled, with coconut oil

M2: white fish & garden salad. Coffee. 2 glasses water.

M3: ground beef, green beans, yellow beans, sugar snap peas. Club soda with blueberry juice.

Not enough water, I think, especially for a very hot & sunny day.

Activity: 20 min yoga/weights. Raking 15 min. Gardening.

Day 6:

M1: eggs & zucchini, scrambled, with coconut oil

S: small handful nuts, iced coffee

M2: beef bits cooked with coconut oil, sweet potato

M3: sausage, beets, cauliflower

68 oz water and counting

Activity: 10 min yoga + 10 min weights + 10 min walk. Gardening. 

Day 7:

M1: 2 eggs, kale, flax oil, flax meal, probiotic pill, blueberry juice, strawberries, banana

M2: Various meats & vegs.... a fridge clean out

M3: Beef bits & cucumber.

Water: 72 oz

Activity: 30 min mowing (pushing a gas mower that is not self propelled, fast enough to be drenched in sweat)

Day 8:

M1: 3 eggs, kale, flax oil, flax meal, probiotic pill, strawberries, banana, almond milk

M2: sausage patty, carrot casserole (carrots, eggs, coconut cream, ginger, pepper), cucumber

M3: beef bits, carrot casserole, beets

Black coffee

Water: 65 oz

Activity: 20 min yoga/weights. 35 min mowing.

Day 8:

M1: 3 eggs, kale, flax oil, flax meal, probiotic pill, strawberries, banana, almond milk

M2: sausage patty, carrot casserole (carrots, eggs, coconut cream, ginger, pepper), cucumber

M3: beef bits, carrot casserole, beets

Black coffee

Water: 65 oz

Activity: 20 min yoga/weights. 35 min mowing.

Have you gone back to your daily smoothie after only 2 days of eating your meal one?

Just go easy on the flax seeds/oil - they're a poor source of omega 3 (due to the fact they're not even the type of omega 3 that humans use), and should be eaten only in moderation. Honestly, if you never ate them it wouldnt be a bad thing.

jmcbn.... Yes.  I was hoping that if I increased the eggs & the kale, and decreased the strawberries, that it would be okay. Your input is valued, so tell me what you think. I just find smoothies soooooooooo easy in the mornings.

I did not know that about flax oil & flax meal. My naturopath put them in there several years ago & I never questioned it. Good to know.

Day 9:

M1: 3 eggs, kale (2/3 cup dehydrated), flax meal (1 Tbsp), flax oil (2 tsp), probiotic pill, strawberries (handful), banana (1), almond milk (to bring to 20 oz), water (1 cup).   (2/3 cup dehydrated kale = 2+ cups fresh)

M2: beef bits (2/3 cup), cooked carrots (1 cup), raw cucumber (1 medium), raw string beans (handful), coffee with 2 Tbsp coconut butter

M3: turkey (palm size +), carrots + green beans + yellow beans stir fried in ghee, macademia nuts (small handful), club soda

Water: not enough. 65 oz  (should be 98 oz)

Activity: 20 min yoga/weights

I think 2 days is not long enough to see if eating otherwise will work just as well for you.

Whole30 is about so much more than eating compliant food for 30 days - it's as much about the composition of your meals to get maximum return, and it's about breaking old bad habits & developing new healthier ones. To improve your health going forward a gut re-set is not enough - you need the head re-set too. Doing what we always did, gets us where we've always gotten.

As you suggested yourself elsewhere on the forum a flask of soup along side some protein (eg. meatballs or chicken drumstick/thighs) would be just as easy. As would egg/veg/meat muffins, or a veg/meat frittata prepared in advance & cut into wedges.

Give it a fair go.

jmcbn.... Thank you for the advice! A mind re-set makes sense to me. Consider it done.

Day 10:

M1: fridge leftovers: beef bits, carrots, carrot casserole

M2: turkey, 2 bites potato, 1/4 cup turnip, lots of water, 4 small cubes of watermelon, 2 cubes of some unidentified fruit, black coffee. This was lunch at my Dad's assisted living residence; no choice of menu; always huge dismay if any of us "don't like" the meal. I ate around the plate as best I could, and looked forward to the snacks lurking in my purse.

S: large handful string beans, small handful macademia nuts

M3: large sausage, onions fried in coconut oil, 2 handfuls tomatoes 

Water: 115 oz. (Attend an opera in an non-air conditioned historic church... read "no air circulation" here.... on a 32c+ day, and you too can consume all the water you need with ease!)

Noticed: Woke up feeling.... hmmmm.... lighter? The feeling lasted all day (except in that church!).

Day 9:

M1: 3 eggs, kale (2/3 cup dehydrated), flax meal (1 Tbsp), flax oil (2 tsp), probiotic pill, strawberries (handful), banana (1), almond milk (to bring to 20 oz), water (1 cup).   (2/3 cup dehydrated kale = 2+ cups fresh)

M2: beef bits (2/3 cup), cooked carrots (1 cup), raw cucumber (1 medium), raw string beans (handful), coffee with 2 Tbsp coconut butter

M3: turkey (palm size +), carrots + green beans + yellow beans stir fried in ghee, macademia nuts (small handful), club soda

Water: not enough. 65 oz  (should be 98 oz)

Hi Seafarer,

you spoke about dehydrated kale....did you dehydrate it yourself? 

I posted a comment on a DEHYDRATOR thread - - but no reply - seeking recipes for dehydrating certain food.  I have a L'Equip dehydrator I never used and if I had some ideas...maybe I will take it out and use it.

Hi NY2LA2Montreal! Yes, I have an Excalibur dehydrator, which I bought last year, and for the kale alone I am happy I did. I dehydrated some of everything I grew last year.... some successes, some "learning opportunities". LOL. For example, don't dehydrate chives on half the trays, while you are doing dill on the other trays. It all blows around & you get a mixture I call "chill". Great on fish, but not necessarily what you were aiming for. I'll check out your dehydrator post.

Hi MeGA"gardener"! Ovens work just great! I, however, don't have a real oven. I have a countertop microwave/convection thing, and I found that tying it up for hours on end with dehydrating meant I couldn't nuke my coffee. Eeek! :-) Or make meals.

Day 11:

M1: 1/4 cup blueberries + 1/4 cup almond milk. 3 plum-size tomatoes. 3 hard-boiled eggs with ghee

M2: sausage, sesame cucumber noodles

M3: haddock rolled in almond meal & pan fried in coconut oil, Silky Gingered Zucchini Soup

Water: 100 oz

Activity: 1.5 hours mowing

Noticed: Didn't feel all EverReady Bunny-ish, but certainly had energy that lasted all day with minimal breaks (for water, of course <grin>)

Hi NY2LA2Montreal! Yes, I have an Excalibur dehydrator, which I bought last year, and for the kale alone I am happy I did. I dehydrated some of everything I grew last year.... some successes, some "learning opportunities". LOL. For example, don't dehydrate chives on half the trays, while you are doing dill on the other trays. It all blows around & you get a mixture I call "chill". Great on fish, but not necessarily what you were aiming for. I'll check out your dehydrator post.

Thanks but Dehydrating concentrates flavor and I would love to do fruit and veggies but whhich ones

Blueberries, for sure. Apples are good. Bananas. Peaches & pears would probably be good, but I haven't tried them. Pineapple is supposed to be good, but I bet it packs a real sugar wallop. I dehydrated cantaloupe & honey dew melon last year.... I wasn't impressed, but they were easy to do.

Day 12:

M1: blueberries with coconut milk, fish, zucchini soup

M2: cucumber sesame noodles, tomatoes, sausage

black coffee

M3: fish, veg medley, tomatoes

black coffee

Noticed: my life is too busy....

Day 13:

M1: blueberries & almond milk. 2 eggs scrambled with green beans, yellow beans, carrots. Coffee.

M2: 3 plum tomatoes. Beef bits & carrots with ghee. (Thank god for the last of the beef bits!)

M3: roast beef, coconut-creamy veg soup, blueberry juice with club soda.

Activity: 30 min mowing. Gardening.

Noticed: Steady energy throughout the day.

Day 14:

M1: vegetable soup (made with coconut cream), sausage

M2: roast beef, zucchini soup, beets with ghee

S: sausage/egg casserole

M3: zucchini soup, macademia nuts, pumpkin casserole (made with lots of eggs - couldn't face another piece of meat)

Activity: 30 min yoga/weights

Puzzled over: I woke up this morning thinking "All right, let's get at this day!" but by 11:00 am I felt really hungry. When I looked in the fridge there wasn't anything I wanted, so I figured I was probably thirsty, not hungry, so I drank a bunch of water & that seemed to do it. All seemed okay until 3 pm when I was having a major energy slump so I took a break from what I was doing & took some water & my book & went outdoors to read & play with the dog. By 3:30 I went back to work, but soon felt really hungry, so I took another break & ate the sausage/egg casserole. Still really worn out after supper, so I took the dog for a walkabout in the fresh evening air and have decided to head for bed & hopefully catch a long night of sleep. Zzzzzzzzzzzz..........

Day 15:

M1: blueberries/coconut cream, sausage & egg casserole, coffee/coconut water

M2: tomatoes, mayo, 3 eggs, club soda/lime

M3: blueberries/coconut cream, cucumber noodles/WF sauce, haddock, beet greens/ghee

Water: 40 oz :(

Activity: garden

Note: Good sleep last night... pretty good day today.

Day 16:

M1: blueberries/almond milk, sausage & egg casserole, coffee

M2: veg soup, fish, tomatoes & mayo

M3: steak, string beans, potato, cucumber, tomato, carrots

Water: 55 oz

Activity: 20 min yoga/weights; 20 min walking

Note: On my feet a lot today, climbing, standing, walking, fishing, and my knees feel normal tonight. Bonus.

Day 17:

M1: blueberries/almond milk, sausage & egg casserole, coffee/coconut water

M2: beef & veg stir fry

M3: plain, pan-fried fish & veg (crappy, soggy veg.... why can't restaurants cook veggies?)

Water: 60 oz

Activity: 20 min yoga/weights; gardening & lots of walking

Note: good sleep last night; kept up with grandkids all day. They're asleep & I haven't keeled over yet. Mind you, I did let them have a sizeable serving of poutine this afternoon, which would knock anybody out. ;) 

Day 18:

M1: blueberries/almond milk, scrambled eggs & zucchini, coffee

M2: pumpkin casserole, mayo, steak

M3: Pre-meal "just in case no acceptable food in restaurant": tomatoes, mayo, steak strips

Restaurant meal: hamburger patty & plain garden salad

Water: 80 oz

Activity: walking & walking & walking.....

Noted: Homemade mayo is the best grab-&-go fat ever.

Archived