pastured eggs- when they're bad?

Celestial

Hi! So I'm doing this as new to eating meat and frankly, not handling the meat part well, cooking, eating, etc., even though I bought it from the farmers market...

also bought some eggs which I have zero prob with and generally love, so I was going to make a egg bake and the yolks are bright orange, love it, but one was salmon colored, no blood though....

I started wisking away then got grossed out and tossed it all. Ughh, so much for breakfasts for the week.

Was that egg bad?? Or is it just me?

I'm pretty sure it's just you. :-)

My mother in law raises chickens. Years ago, when my husband first brought home the eggs from the coop, and I saw the bright orange yolks, I said HELL NO.

I have since come to embrace them -- they are free, fresh, pasture-raised eggs. I eat SEVERAL a day on this Whole30.

I don't know what switched in my head, but I think just knowing how fresh they are - how good they are for me - I just eat 'em.

Good luck!

You can test your egg by carefully dropping it into a cup of water. If it sinks and lays horizontally it's fresh. If it stand up vertically it's okay. If it floats to the top it isn't good and you shouldn't eat it. When you are using more than one egg for cooking, crack each one and put it in a separate bowl before adding it to your dish. That way, if it looks weird and you don't want to eat it you can toss it before contaminating the other eggs or ingredients.

I'm pretty sure it's just you. :-)

My mother in law raises chickens. Years ago, when my husband first brought home the eggs from the coop, and I saw the bright orange yolks, I said HELL NO.

I have since come to embrace them -- they are free, fresh, pasture-raised eggs. I eat SEVERAL a day on this Whole30.

I don't know what switched in my head, but I think just knowing how fresh they are - how good they are for me - I just eat 'em.

Good luck!

so if they are fresh.... what about the almost pink yolk? it was much brighter after whisking....almost like the color of the sun when it rises or sets in a smokey sky?

Archived