Hi all! My Day 7, Meal 3 last night were the wings and homemade Buffalo Sauce from The Whole30 book. Delicious, by the way! However, this morning I woke up with a puffy face, swollen hands and feet, and yucky eyes :( I made the sauce with Frank's Red Hot. I also made the Ranch dressing from the book (first time) and had carrots and celery. I'm wondering if the carrots were too carb-y?? I really want to do this to be healthy, but my first inclination this morning was for my mind to go back to my Atkins days and worry about the carbs...which I don't want to do. I've had plenty of roasted cauliflower this week, with no problem, and that's a starchy vegetable. I just think something doesn't agree with me.

This is the first time having everything in this meal (except for chicken) so it might be hard to diagnose without more experimentation. Just wondering if anyone else has had this happen that might help me figure it out sooner rather than later?

Thank you!  :) 
Stacey

Cauliflower is not a starchy vegetable even though we use it to replace starches because of textures.

I doubt carrots would make you swollen.

I'm much more suspect of the hot sauce to be honest. I've not looked up the recipes yet, but what in the total meal is stuff you don't usually eat?

Also what else is going on? Any environmental issues? How much water did you have yesterday? Stress? Lots of things can cause puffiness in the morning, but carrots is probably not one of them unless you are allergic to them.

• Whole30 Certified Coach

I don't have the W30 cookbook but other paleo buffalo recipes out there call for huge amounts of hot sauce - like 1 cup for a recipe to feed 4 people.  A serving of Franks is 1 teaspoon.  And that 1 tsp has 190mg of sodium in it.  I've always found that I can add a ton of my pink Himalayan salt to food and not get puffy but for some reason when its "processed salt" (bacon, sausage, hot sauce...) I totally puff up.  So my guess was the hot sauce :)  

Archived