Day 31-Weighed in. Ugggh

If you would have asked me yesterday how the Whole 30 went I could list a lot of positives. But then...I weighed. I GAINED a stinkin pound. Im so frustrated, in tears. What is wrong with my body??!!! Im determined to go again for another 30 days with today being day one but am going to spend time tweaking my plan today. I've been posting my food but didn't the last 3 days. I never ate anything off plan (except sugarless gum I just learned today!!! :( ) But I did snacked on nuts. I didn't measure fats. I didn't stick hardcore to the template. Im 5'10" and weigh 198. (Weighed 197 beforehand). Doc says I need to weigh 160. I haven't weighed that since my wedding in 2000. I feel fit and trim at 177. I workout im some form 6 days a week (crossfit 3x/wk, cardio intervals 2x/wk, lifting, PT exercises).

I do take beta blockers for recently diagnosed Long QT syndrome and I take 2 medications for bipolar 2. But I have lost weight before with these meds (minus the beta blocker). I want to stay motivated and change for good. I was so motivated yesterday and so deflated this morning. Help? Input? I feel very willing to do what I need to do that will work.

Okay - Take a deep breath and calm down.

Let's start counting your non scale victories.  The scale is not your friend really and it really isn't a true marker of health.  Really.  Did you know that Basketball star Kobe Bryant is considered obese by BMI standards?  If you take a look at him  - would you ever call him that?  

So did you sleep better?  Do your clothes fit better?  Do you have clearer skin and harder nails?  What were the positives that you took away from the program?  Start listing them all out.  Even the most minute thing that you can think of - one of the small things for me is that I noticed my teeth got slightly whiter and things no longer go stuck my teeth or stuck to the roof of my mouth.  These are things that no one would know other than myself.  Three years later - I don't burn in the sun in less than 20 minutes.  For me this is huge - for others not so much.

Let's start from the very beginning.  Are you able to give a list of meals of what you ate.  A few days worth of meals are helpful.  I notice that you are working out an awful lot - are you including pre and post work out meals?  These are very important.

Please don't blame the fat for the weight gain.  Fat is honestly your friend went it comes to losing weight.  Nuts however are not an ideal fat source and are kind of prone to cause bloating and digestive upset.  

Also you might be working out too much - 6 times a week doesn't leave much room for body rest.  Sometimes your body needs more rest than your think it does.  More is not always better. 

Thank you for your reply!

I did actually notice a lot of victories prior to the weigh in.

Flatter stomach, clothes fit better, pants looser, less tired during the day, sleeping way better at night, face looks less full, almost never snacking at night, sugar cravings way down. Feel less consumed by food and driven to eat.

I will post 3 days worth of meals from my log. It's not last 3 days but 3 typical days. (I didn't lpost last 3 days as we were traveling but stuck to plan)

Days 26-28 from my Whole 30 log:

Day 26

M1: coffee w coc milk. Burger, cabbage coleslaw mix, Paleo mayo, sweet potato soup with chick broth

Coffee w coc milk

M2: Paleo bbq ribs, salad with cabbage coleslaw, apples, almonds, Paleo mayo. Kombucha

M3: Paleo chili w guac. Peach

Day 27

M1: coffee w coc milk, Mac nuts, Paleo chili

WO: arc trainer, deadlifts, weighted sit ups, PT

Post WO: cup of sweet pot soup. Coffee w coc milk

M2: tuna w cabbage slaw, apples, raisins, red onion, almonds, Paleo mayo, balsamic

Snack: banana w cashew butter--I guess I'm getting these snacks back in here. I've felt really full after meals but then still felt hungry for a snack around 4:00.

M3: sweet potato soup, citrus orange chicken (it starts with food), broccoli w clarified butter. Couple pieces pineapple

Day 28

M1: coffee w coc milk. Paleo meatloaf, fried egg, spinach, clarified butter

WO: CrossFit chipper, modified--push ups, sit-ups, power cleans, Airdyne

Post WO/lunch: sweet potato soup, meatloaf, broccoli, clarified butter

Kombucha

Snack: (road trip to Bay Area) dried mangoes, dried apples

M3: out to dinner at Outback. I brought my own dressing in my purse. It worked great! I don't think anyone really noticed much. Got house salad w no croutons or cheese and put my vinaigrette on it. Then gd lamb without the wine sauce and asked them not to put butter on it or anything, side of double seasonal veggies no butter. And put the rest of my vinaigrette on the veggies. It was good!

Apple w almond butter (while my husband had chocolate)

I know you're not heading into the re-intro phase right now, but your description of the changes in your face sound likely to be an improvement in inflammation.

I think you could put that in the win column twice.

I'm sorry you're disappointed on the weight aspect.

It certainly appears as though your body composition has changed for the better, and you've listed a boatload of non-scale victories.

In viewing your log, some adjustments that might help as as follows:
- dropping the cabbage, salad, nuts, and any raw veggies, as each can cause bloat for some. Switch to all cooked veggies.

- the post workout recommendation is protein and optional carb: no fat. So drop the coconut milk from your post workout meal and be sure you have protein.
- is your M1 coffee caffeinated?  If you're drinking it before you eat, that can act as an appetite suppressant. We recommend drinking it after you eat.
- the recommended snack, when genuinely hungry, is a mini meal of protein carb and fat. If you can't get all three in, get at least two of these macros. So instead of dried fruit alone (which are to be limited on a Whole30), have dried fruit with some protein, for example. Or better yet, fresh fruit or vegetables with one of the other macros. 
- make sure all your dried fruit is compliant. Many can be coated with sugar, for example.

Other thoughts:
- are you consuming at least 99 oz of plain water daily?  Our recommendation is at least 1/2 an ounce of water per pound of body weight.
- how much sleep are you getting nightly?
- how is your current level of stress?

I think it takes some people longer to start seeing a decrease in the number in the scale than others due to different levels of inflammation in the body. Different amounts of bloat and water retention as well. The body can only do so much at once and it will start shedding fat when it seems it absolutely safe to do so. I am seeing more physical changes in the last 12 days post whole30 then I did for the30 days during the whole30. I have lost fat for sure and the scale hasn't budged since ending whole30, I think I may be up a pound. But my clothes are hanging off me and I'm moving down a size. I know you know that the number doesn't reflect what may actually be going on, but thought I would share my experience with that.

• Moderators

Be encouraged! You are doing great!

If your clothes are fitting more loosely and your tummy is flatter, this is WAY BETTER than losing scale weight! Unless you're getting married soon, and you really, really want your mate (who happens to be a weakling) to carry you across the threshhold in a romantic manner to seal the deal, YOUR SCALE WEIGHT MATTERS TO NO ONE. Remember, when you put on muscle, that in itself weighs more than flab, and burns more calories even as you do nothing/sleep. You want muscle over a number on that scale.

Eating bigger meals at Meal 1, 2, and 3 should help you in this process -- remember, other than your pre/postWO meals, you want to go at least 4 hours between eating so that the hormone glucagon will go to your liver for stored fat as energy. Anytime you snack you are interrupting that process.

Hang in there!

Let's start from the very beginning.  Are you able to give a list of meals of what you ate.  A few days worth of meals are helpful.  I notice that you are working out an awful lot - are you including pre and post work out meals?  These are very important.

Please don't blame the fat for the weight gain.  Fat is honestly your friend went it comes to losing weight.  Nuts however are not an ideal fat source and are kind of prone to cause bloating and digestive upset.  

Also you might be working out too much - 6 times a week doesn't leave much room for body rest.  Sometimes your body needs more rest than your think it does.  More is not always better. 

Thank you for your gracious response. I've been soaking everyone's words in the last day and thinking it over. I appreciate the reminder to take a deep breath too. (=

I don't always do the pre and post workout meals. However I will start making sure I do that. Usually my pre-workout meal is breakfast. But I will tweak post WO meal and be sure I get that in.

Also my workouts aren't all the same. Usually I work the hardest 3-4 days a week and the other days are mostly stretching, PT exercises, like recovery workouts more and working on my injury stuff. But I took into account what you said. I think I lean toward HIIT and I realized that I shouldn't be doing intervals every time I workout. Yesterday I just went lower intensity on the arc trainer for 25 mins. instead of the high intensity intervals for 20.

Thank you!

Camille,

You have received some excellent advice above.  I have nothing really to add to it.

Remember the scale will never tell you how awesome you are, or how you radiate positive energy.  Let your non scale victories sink in for a moment.  They are truly your successes - not a number on a dang scale.

I am 5'9" myself and have battled a war against my body for as long as I can remember.  I am stocky and muscularly built. I am also overweight to a certain degree.  I get told that I should weigh 165 to 170.  I seriously want to laugh in the health professional's face when they tell me this.  If they expect me to weight this and be healthy and happy - they are seriously kidding themselves.  I have never felt better, slept better, had this amount of energy, no joint pain, or had clear skin (long time sufferer of eczema, roseacea, and Hidradentitis Supprativa) in my life.  So THAT is what I am going with.

Camille - well done on a great Whole30!

I posted something similar to your post in another group although my story is not quite the same as yours I also did not lose any weight! I was disappointed until I reminded myself that my clothes did feel looser, my nails and hair are strong and healthy, my indigestion has calmed and my inner self is the most calm it has ever been. I am going on with my whole30 because I think many years of yoyo dieting and extreme exercise and then none, let alone being in the 60's age group, means my body needs a lot more help to recover!!

Congratulations on your journey and you have been given a load of fabulous advice :) :) :)

I'm sorry you're disappointed on the weight aspect.

It certainly appears as though your body composition has changed for the better, and you've listed a boatload of non-scale victories.

In viewing your log, some adjustments that might help as as follows:

- dropping the cabbage, salad, nuts, and any raw veggies, as each can cause bloat for some. Switch to all cooked veggies.

- the post workout recommendation is protein and optional carb: no fat. So drop the coconut milk from your post workout meal and be sure you have protein.

- is your M1 coffee caffeinated?  If you're drinking it before you eat, that can act as an appetite suppressant. We recommend drinking it after you eat.

- the recommended snack, when genuinely hungry, is a mini meal of protein carb and fat. If you can't get all three in, get at least two of these macros. So instead of dried fruit alone (which are to be limited on a Whole30), have dried fruit with some protein, for example. Or better yet, fresh fruit or vegetables with one of the other macros. 

- make sure all your dried fruit is compliant. Many can be coated with sugar, for example.

Other thoughts:

- are you consuming at least 99 oz of plain water daily?  Our recommendation is at least 1/2 an ounce of water per pound of body weight.

- how much sleep are you getting nightly?

- how is your current level of stress?

Thank you so much for all your input here! I have switched to cooked veggies. I'm also limiting nuts. I was definitely eating too many.

Thank you for pointing out the after workout meal doesn't have fat. I remembered seeing that but for some reason just got super used to that coconut milk in the coffee and didn't even think about it. It also got me more aware to remember that that counts as a fat in my meal whenever I drink it. The M1 coffee is always caffeinated. I stumble to the coffee pot as soon as I wake up. I can't imagine waiting to drink it after I eat. Maybe I could wait on this suggestion since I have a lot to work with here already! (= And thank you for the snack content reminder too. I have changed these things since reading your input earlier this week. I'm feeling better about the whole thing. I have a solid foundation now with the past 34 days under my belt and am making these new tweaks. I know I'm on the right track. Thank you so much for your input!

The water is A LOT! It will be good when I do drop some pounds so I can drink less water! I definitely wasn't drinking enough. I'm keeping track this week and its still hard to get it all in but I'm getting better.

SLEEP. Some nights its less than 7 hours =( I know I need at least 7 and I feel awesome with 8. I aim to get at least 7 per night but it doesn't always happen. Maybe 2-3 nights a week not getting enough. =( I want to change this but not totally sure how. I'm keeping track now so becoming more aware.

STRESS. Yes, I"ve been stressed. I think I need a lifestyle overhaul. I have that "hurry up and be late" M.O. and I'm often running to the next thing without wrapping up the last thing. I stress myself out. I'm actually getting together with someone this week to get some wiser perspective on how to structure my life so it doesn't feel so hectic and like I never have any time to regroup and re-center myself at home. I had a freind tell me today that she thought if I took some time to recharge more that everything would fall into place and the weight would take care of itself. (I do know that I need to continue to eat the healthy foods I'm eating, but stress is definitely an issue. Thank you for bringing it to my attention here too. Its defintely coming to the surface.)

So I will keep putting these suggustions into practice. Thank you!

Camille - well done on a great Whole30!

I posted something similar to your post in another group although my story is not quite the same as yours I also did not lose any weight! I was disappointed until I reminded myself that my clothes did feel looser, my nails and hair are strong and healthy, my indigestion has calmed and my inner self is the most calm it has ever been. I am going on with my whole30 because I think many years of yoyo dieting and extreme exercise and then none, let alone being in the 60's age group, means my body needs a lot more help to recover!!

Congratulations on your journey and you have been given a load of fabulous advice :) :) :)

Thank you! I appreciate your encouragement and being able to identify with me. That means a lot. The sentence you said about the years of yoyo dieting and extreme exercise and then none...I can defintely relate to that. I think my body needs recovery too. Thank you for sharing that. I think its true.

Camille,

You have received some excellent advice above.  I have nothing really to add to it.

Remember the scale will never tell you how awesome you are, or how you radiate positive energy.  Let your non scale victories sink in for a moment.  They are truly your successes - not a number on a dang scale.

I am 5'9" myself and have battled a war against my body for as long as I can remember.  I am stocky and muscularly built. I am also overweight to a certain degree.  I get told that I should weigh 165 to 170.  I seriously want to laugh in the health professional's face when they tell me this.  If they expect me to weight this and be healthy and happy - they are seriously kidding themselves.  I have never felt better, slept better, had this amount of energy, no joint pain, or had clear skin (long time sufferer of eczema, roseacea, and Hidradentitis Supprativa) in my life.  So THAT is what I am going with.

Thank you for your encouragement! And I really appreciate you sharing your similar body type and experience. My jaw dropped when I heard the doc suggest 160. That is seriously teeny weeny for me and I've only ever been that when I didn't have much muscle on me. Thank you for sharing your experience!

Camille P... thank you so much for starting this topic. I just finished reading through all the comments & had quite a few "a-ha" moments. I haven't figured out how to copy someone else's comments (or even how to edit my own) so I hope I cover what jumped out.

- I too always want the caffeinated coffee in the morning, but one day when I was cleaning cupboards & looking to make extra space I looked at the part container of caffeinated, and the part container of decaf, thought "why not" and dumped them together. Now my morning coffee is half & half. It's not 100% switch, but it's better than full-on caffeinated (for me, at least).

Carlaccini.... "Remember the scale will never tell you how awesome you are...." <--- Best quote ever.

Beforeitstoolate.... You rock! Everyone's journey is different, depending on past history & age group, which I sometimes forget. Thanks for the timely reminder. 

Moderators.... I am continually amazed at the amount of specific advice you offer, uniquely tailored to the individual. Awesome.

Camille P....  you have so got this! Already you are a million times better off than virtually everyone else on the planet. Congrats on your progress, and on your willingness to dig for, and work at, more knowledge to help you continue your journey. Hats off to you.

Archived