Joining in!! Start date 8/24

ajburg

Hello! My name is Alison- I am a Pediatric Nurse Practitioner from Saint Paul, MN. I remain active with hot yoga and spin and generally eat healthy, but I also struggle with body image. I am hoping that the Whole30 will make my relationship with food positive and one to celebrate! 

Some things that concern me: 

- staying on a budget! I know quality of life is priceless, but student loans aren't just suggestions ; )

- finding food that I enjoy with FEW ingredients that I can actually manage to cook decently (not my strongest talent) 

- not being prepared and slipping up unknowingly if I have to resort to restaurant food

- missing those brewskies at happy hour with friends (especially during patio season in MN) 

I am hoping this group can relieve some of these concerns, but I realize this is a journey and I will just have to try my best and see what happens!

Thanks!!! 

Kindly,

Alison 

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrators

Hi Alison,

Congrats on arriving here, excited about your start date coming up?

Check out the Well Fed (1 & 2) cookbooks from Mel Joulwan (theclothesmakethegirl.com) as she has awesome recipes with basic ingredients that most people will have available.  She also has a "training" guide on how to do weekly cookups to save yourself time and make sure that you are fully prepped. 

http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2014/12/28/whole30-resources-roundup-2/

Hi Allison!  My coworker and I are starting on the 24th as well- and we are in Minneapolis!

I have a lot of the same concerns as you do, I'm hoping that once I get into the pattern of meal planning and shopping, the process will get faster.

I used to be pretty good at eating clean (though I never eliminated legumes or grains completely before) and am excited to get back on track to treating my body better.  I'm hoping it will help with my eczema and anxiety as well!

Can't wait to get started- good luck! :D

I am starting on Monday, August 24th too! I am excited - I really need to jumpstart a healthier lifestyle. I have been awful since my last baby was born - almost 3 years ago!! I had the mindset that this has to be a priority so I'm going to put the shopping/prep/cooking on the top of my list for the next 30 days - then I read about how time-consuming it all is and I get scared! But, I am going to prep for week one and see how it goes. If all these thousands of people can do it, so can I - right? :)  Ladyshanny - thank you for that link. It looks right up my alley. I spend way too much time worrying about getting the menu right - I just need a few quick go to's to get me started...

Good luck everyone!!

By the way, my name is Lisa and I live in the Chicago-area. I work Mon-Fri and I have 3 busy kids and an awesome husband. My plate feels overfull most of the time, but it's time to start prioritizing the most important things! I'm excited for this journey!!

Hi Alison.  I am starting my first Whole 30 on Aug 24 also.  I also work in healthcare (which can be challenging enough w/o the challenge of eating better) :-)  I am hoping to improve my relationship w/ food.  Since working in a hospital as a pharmacist the last 4 years I have grown accustomed to eating whatever, whenever, as fast as I can chew.  Four years and fifty extra pounds later...  Here I am.  My goal is to learn how to meal plan, prep food properly, cook, and eat for nourishment not to satisfy cravings, stress, etc.  Here's to starting the Whole 30 on Monday!

Hi All.

I was going to start on September 1 but I think sooner is better. I know I'm ready for this. I'd like to join in and help support one another on this journey!

I have been paleo for 6 years but ... that 80/20 principle makes living paleo manageable. Whole30 will be a challenge for me but i know my body will love it. I will be doing the weekly cook-ups (per well fed2) and some 'go-to snacks' on hand.

What I am most looking forward to:

- reduction or elimination of food allergy reactions

- a new relationship with food

- sounder sleep

- reduction in stress?

- calmer disposition

- healthier skin

- meeting some cool peeps thru this forum!

I'm looking forward to cheering everyone on! Can't wait to start.  :)  :)  :)

I'm starting Monday as well! I made it 12 days at the beginning of the month and ended up falling off after running a 5K and getting discouraged and eating a bunch of festival food. I can definitely tell even after just 12 days that gluten and dairy mess me up! My stomach has been getting really bloated and I don't like it one bit. Looking forward to starting again. If you're on Facebook there's a #cleanwhole30 private group that you can join that's helped me a lot. Just being able to ask questions in a non hostile environment, Or posting a picture of something at the store real quick with a "help is this complaint" and within minutes getting replies.

Hey all, I'm also joining in on Monday! I'm 19 and in college, and I have some weight to lose and confidence to gain. I eat generally healthy, mostly Asian food, but I have trouble with consistency and portions. I hope through all of this that I will be able to fit into any clothes I want to fit into again, improve my metabolism overall and improve my energy by making my whole diet efficient. Best of luck to you all, I hope to see your updates soon!!

Hey,

I'm gonna join this thread although I'm actually starting on Tuesday 25th. We're staying at my In-laws till Sunday so I need Monday to do a big food shop and to clear my cupboards.

My main priority is trying to figure out what causes my bloaty belly

I've been trialling some of the recipes this week which is really getting me excited about some of the yummy recipes in store

Hi!

My name is Taylor, I am in Nashville and I hope to be starting the Whole30 on Monday with you all!

I will be heading to the store and meal prepping tomorrow. This will be my second attempt at the program... the first time I made it 28 days... so close.

I hope to be an encouragement and also be encouraged!

Good luck to everyone!

I am starting Monday too!  I hope. Still have to make shopping list but have been prepping house for last week.  Most goodies gone.  Stay-at-home mom with 3 children.  Taking my 9 year old along on ride due to his constant digestive, skin, and mood issues that I feel are food related.  Happy to join you all on this journey.

Planning on following meal plan in book.  Just one less thing to think about.

Good luck everyone.  I hope you all meet your goals.

Lynne in PA.

I will be starting this date too! Looking forward to the accountability and shared experience with you all. I'm nervous about staying up with the food prep. We eat mainly from scratch, save a couple meals out a week (usually Chipotle for one and pizza or local salad place for the other), and I already struggle with staying on top of meal prep and cooking. I have three kiddos and work f/t, and my youngest is just at that age where he can be be realllyyy needy during the dinner hour. I'm thinking we need to use the slow cooker more! And my husband cooks usually a couple nights a week and is supportive of my W30, so that will help too. 

Wow, a bunch of folks are starting Monday! I'll be starting tomorrow, the 23rd, but I'm going to hang with you guys. I've struggled a lot lately with almost binge-like eating of junk (sweets, chips, peanut butter), and my stress level has been super high due to circumstances. Summer camp staffer, anyone? I was getting 7ish hours of sleep/night and was on my feet pretty much the rest of the time. :P But now that's over and I reeeaally need to get my eating back on track. I've not done a Whole30 before, but I did follow the restrictions for 10 days and that felt amazing. I'm looking forward to seeing just how healthy I can feel! 

I'll be coupling the Whole30 with FitnessBlender's FB30 workout plan, striving to get to bed by 10pm, and adding in a few detoxing routines like oil pulling, dry brushing, and occasional detox baths (I usually put in epsom salts, baking soda, ginger, and/or apple cider vinegar).

This is me:

• 18 years old
  • 5'6" and 147lbs. A year ago I was at 135lbs, and I'd love to be in the 130-135lb. range. Muscle weighs more than fat, though, so I'm not stressing the number on the scale. 

I've found that dried fruit, nut butters, and cashews are foods with no brakes for me, so I'll be cutting those out of my diet. I'm also limiting my fruit to 1 - 2 servings a day in order to slay my sugar dragon. 

Accountability: you guys, my mom, and my best friend. 

Let's get this show on the road!

Hi all, 

I am joining August 24 for my second round of Whole30! I am a 28 year-old Torontonian who joined Whole30 to get my health back on track. It was difficult, but I felt like I was soaring by the end and completed my first round on July 30 with my fiance Dan. I have stayed mostly compliant since I finished with a few SWYPO paleo foods and natural sweetners thrown in the mix now and again (nothing too crazy, I promise). 

(For more details on why I initially joined the Whole30 and my NSV's, I started a log for my first round that can be found in my signature.) 

I have been MIA for the past week on a vacation in Halifax, Nova Scotia. I was honestly expecting vacation to be really relaxing, but I think I need a vacation from my vacation. It's really hard to stay compliant 24-7 when you are on the go all day eating most of your meals at restaurants. It's hard being uprooted from the comfort of home and my usual routine. I managed to find some farm-to-table restaurants and vegan places for veggies, but I went a bit overboard on the gluten, dairy, and alcohol. I felt a bit crappy near the end. Really bloated, foggy headed, and like general garbage. I got ill on the plane home, and have been having acid reflux since.

Knowing that I could go back to Whole30 as soon as I returned home was the light at the end of the tunnel. I have my first seven days of meals all planned out for next week, and I could not be more excited to get back on track! 

Nice to meet all of you! :)

Well I'm not so slim but I picked this screen name as part of my motivation for doing the Whole30. Tomorrow 8/24 I'll begin as well. I'm hoping to improve my health and create healthy habits for the rest of my life. Cleaning out the fridge and cabinets this afternoon. I look forward to making steady progress with this cohort!

I'll be starting tomorrow too! Glad to see so many others on the ride as well!

I'm definitely worried about talking myself into cheating (I'm good at that - lots of excuses are handy!) but really focused on not undermining myself. I'm prepped and ready - and hope I can post here for encouragement when happy hour calls!!

Chiming in that I'm starting my second Whole 30 tomorrow as well!  I wanted to start earlier in the month, but I had a family vacation last week that mostly involved lots of theme parks.  Tons of fun, but not the kind of place where I'd have been able to follow the Whole30 at all.  I did use the vacation time to read the Whole30 book (my last Whole 30 was almost two years ago, before it came out), and I've found it really helpful so far.  I took notes (writing helps things "stick" for me) and did some planning, got home from vacation yesterday and did some grocery shopping, then used today to do some prep work.

I've currently got: a whole roast chicken that I made this morning, then I took the carcass and started a batch of bone broth in the slow cooker which will be done tomorrow night.  I plan to freeze small portions of it to use in cooking.  I also made clarified butter for cooking and roasted a bunch of vegetables - sweet potatoes, squash and carrots.  

Last Whole30 I discovered that I actually like sweet potatoes, and this time I'm hoping to become even more adventurous in the foods I'm willing to try.  I also want to add more variety and cut down my caffeine.  I only drink iced tea, but I drink a lot of it, and I know it hurts my sleep patterns.  Otherwise I am hoping for increased energy levels and some major improvements in my digestive system.

Good luck all, glad to have a group of people starting the same day as me!

I'm in..I've had many false starts this past year after doing a successful whole30 two years ago. This time I'm going to use the forum more for support to hopefully make it all the way through this time. I've been eating mostly paleo and working out with a trainer 3x a week with cardio in between for the past 2 months with NO weight loss and am getting very discouraged.  Hopefully this will kick start my body to start letting go of some of this weight...i have a lot to lose.

I'm another one starting August 24.  Hey that's tomorrow!  Just got home today from a motorcycle trip, and had to do the shopping and cooking.  I think I may not have been the only late shopper starting a Whole30 -- I overheard a woman say to her husband that he could eat what he wanted for the next 30 days, lol!  That's what my husband will be doing.  I am using the prepared 7-day plan from the book to start with, because that is my problem - I never plan what to eat.  I've never thought that far ahead about what to eat for the whole week.  I cranked out the spaghetti squash (first time ever), the tomato sauce (smells good), and the spinach frittata to hit the ground running in the morning. :)  Good luck, everybody!

Archived