Joining in!! Start date 8/24

ajburg

My reintro plan includes some kind of sweetener so I'll be able to have my coffee that day.  Traveling to visit family the next day and will still try to limit "new" old things, but we'll see how that goes.

Of course it's ok to stay on the page.  Looks like a number of us will be.  This has been very helpful and encouraging for sure.  And way to go resisting that temptation! 

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm going to try and follow the Whole30 book's reintro exactly, but I have a conference I have to attend for work during this period.  I've been researching, but I'm not sure how compliant I'll be able to be.  If it proves impossible, I'll go back on the Whole30 again, and do the reintro properly.  I don't have any travel planned after this until Thanksgiving, so that time period should work.

I am definitely staying on the forum. I love hearing how everyone is doing especially the details like the diet coke coupon and exactly everyone's reintro plan. I always find something I can relate to.

Is anyone afraid of reintro? I have fear of losing control. I really do. Which makes me think I need another 30 days but I want TOAST so bad. Fresh baked whole grain toast! I don't even care what's on it. Tooooaaast! I never in a million years would have thought that would be what I miss most. Hah. Chocolate layer cake is coming in a close 2nd.

As of now, My plans are to follow plan exactly as in book. which means I have to wait on the toast and cake.

Have a great day and big thanks to CFCHRIS for advice. Very helpful. Btw, how do you moderators know all this?

I am very scared about reintro.  I am glad that I am going back on the plan for my surgery rehab.  I am afraid I will go WILD on booze, 85% dark chocolate bars, peanut butter, my daughter's chocolate chip cookies and cheese.

One of the things I appreciate most about this forum is I feel like this is a great place for accountability while keeping my marriage in tact.  LOL.

Have a great day and big thanks to CFCHRIS for advice. Very helpful. Btw, how do you moderators know all this?

You are very welcome.

Re: gaining Whole30 knowledge, speaking for myself, I've read (and own) ISWF and The Whole30 books, have done two Whole30's, have hung out on the forum A LOT :) for the past 2+ years, and therefore, absorb additional info from other forum members and moderators. Plus, I have some personal history with health/food challenges, and also work in the health/wellness industry.

All the other moderators have each done at least one Whole30 and have been active forum participants. Tom Denham edited both books.

I am not worried about reintroducing foods from a health standpoint. I have no allergies, issues with sugar or ice cream. Life would be grand without ever having a baked good again. Popcorn will be my first new old food!

Beer - I miss. That is all.  I will introduce that on the weekend.

Black coffee will be my new norm. Milk was bought for that only. On cereal mornings I would pour coffee on it!

I wanted the challenge, see if I could live more then 3 days without an IPA (or 4) and prove something to myself. The pants fitting better are a bonus.  Knowing I can go 30 days without alcohol is the WIN.

The wee hours of day 26...shhhhh  :blink:

I'm taking a vacation over the Columbus Day week, so I am saving my re-intro for then, I will stay away from Gluten and corn because I know those are big triggers for me. Dairy is a shaky one. I haven't had milk as a drink in 43 years, but do like hard cheeses and full fat (10%) yogurt. So that will be a matter of experimentation. I will be having many pints of Vermont cider and white wine and probably a fair share of artisan cheese. Worth every bite, I assure you. I will continue to stay away from sugar and sweeteners. I have no need of them whatsoever. Beans won't be on the menu as far as I know. I'm cooking half of our meals that week, so I get to control the menu and do the shopping , so it should be easy when we eat in. The  many restaurants are upscale and cater to a health conscious crowd, so I think I'll be in good hands. 

Hi Everyone - day 26!

The last 2 days things blew up with my sons (aged 16 and 18) - discovered substances in the car I provide for them that required me to recover their keys and take away driving privileges.  The 18 year old is not causing problems (at least not now and not over this) but the 16 year old is in a rage and acting out.  We are getting through - minute by minute - but I told my husband that it was a big mistake to become parents (we have 5 and these boys are our youngest)!  I'm, mostly, jesting.

Anyhow, I realized this morning, with some amount of amazement, that it didn't even occur to me to eat/drink off plan during this crisis.  Things are definitely changing...

Re-intro - it is interesting to read everyone's plans and how different they are.  For me, I see no reason to ever add back dairy or gluten.  I will try beans and corn for sure (on different days to see how they affect me) - corn tortillas and bean dip anyone?  I won't even mind baking my own corn chips from good corn tortillas - but would dearly love those vehicles for yummy salsa and guacamole!  And wine!  Wine probably first of all - but I do not want to lose my good sleep, no, no, no.  And will wine make me lose all good food sense and dive face first into a box of chocolates?  It is a bit scary...

I have not eaten out in 25 days - not once.  Haven't wanted to since having to limit my choices to Whole 30 compliant foods at a restaurant doesn't appeal to me - would rather just eat at home.  But, I love to eat out.  I'm telling myself that post Whole 30 it will be easier.  I can imagine getting a clean salad, but perhaps relaxing on the dressing - and picking a restaurant variety.  Is that a cop out?

Hubby suggests another Whole 30.  I suggested starting on Jan 2.  He prefers the Monday after Super Bowl Sunday.  See how football dictates our lives this time of year?!?

Jeez, DJS, sounds like a pretty tough episode with the kids but way to go with managing everything while staying compliant.

I will be going away next week and hope to stay ACAP (as clean as possible). I have to admit that I do much better when I commit to a full-on W30, but I also recognize that I am not prepared to renounce some of my favorite foods in perpetuity. I am pretty clear that garbanzos are not my friend, and for me the worst food group is processed foods; my mind is much clearer without preservatives coursing through my system. So I plan to be judicious and reintroduce foods that are not processed and don't contain sugar- or at least, if I do need a sweet treat, I will make sure that it is a life or death situation! :) I am not jonesin' for breads or baked goods but they are my downfall and I'm with czaja on the popcorn thing- looking forward to my first (small) bowl of popcorn in olive oil.

I also want to echo a previous writer who thanked the moderators; I have found their input very grounding, nonjudgmental and based on both common sense and nutritional/health information. Bravo, folks, for volunteering your time and wisdom!

So, first the bad news- my wedding ring does not fit yet.  But I am not discouraged- I have more weight to lose.

good news- my chiro noticed today that I have lost a lot of weight/bloat/whatever!!!  So very encouraging.

Best news- I HAVE MORE TIGER ENERGY THAN I CAN HANDLE!!  Has been all week and I can't believe I kept forgetting to mention it.  Also my foggy brain is not coming until about 9 at night, when I wind down anyhow.

So in general, will be staying W30 although I will try some whole grains, maybe.  Definitely the occasional coffee w/cream and occasional wine.  If I can't handle the wine, it will be W365 for a time minus occasional sweet and coffee/cream.

When most of you read this it will be day 27!!

Day 27!

So, my hubby is out of town this weekend - visiting one of our daughters in Ohio - they are golfing.  I encouraged him to relax the whole 30 rules - this is his first visit to see her in the 3 years she has lived there.  They called me last night and they're having a great time.  I'm moping.  

I didn't think the last few days would be harder that the first days...  It's so close to the end.  I'm thinking a lot about what I'm going to be able to eat.  My brain is throwing a few tantrums, not wanting to wait.  

When I finally ate dinner last night, I was amazed at how little food completely satisfied me.  I set my plate down with food still on it.  That never used to happen.

No matter what, I'm so happy to be doing what I said I would do.  Doing the WHOLE 30!  I hope we don't all disappear after Tuesday!!  Let's keep our forum "HOT!"

I was intrigues about the coconut chips and all the ones I could find hear had some type of sugar.

I almost caved last night too.  I am so glad I did not.  Not even for my anniversary Monday. 

I spent a little over 3 hours in the kitchen today prepping for my new way of eating and my round 2.  I made 2' burger patties, 2' turkey patties and the crock pot chicken slop thing from the recipe book.  While I was cooking, my kids were baking for friends and grinding peanut butter.  Wasn't  struggle to stay clean.

Hope your husban is having fun in Ohio.  Right now, it is raining and has been all afternoon.  Maybe their weather is better.

I have a big pork roast going in the slow cooker tonight. I went to a local place that grows almost all the veggies for sale.

$13.53 got me:

a large head of green cabbage, a large head of red cabbage, 4 leeks, 2 pounds of Yukon Gold potatoes, 2 pounds of onions, just under 2 pounds of beets, 3 Fuji apples, a large fennel bulb, just under2 pounds of broccoli, one lemon, and some shallots!

We are almost done!  I keep counting down to the day we are done, but, I don't think I want to stop.  I mean, I'll probably have a treat here and there, and I'll be a little more lenient as far as things with a tiny amount of added sugar, but, dang.  I feel so good, I don't want to go back!

Hi all.  I am feeling same!  Wierd, huh?  I am having soooo many cravings and yet, can still walk away from things.  My kids too are baking aroud me and it seems harder but I still didn't even taste.  I feel really good physically but mentally I am so ready to add things back.  I just want to be able to make the choice.  May still stay away but want that choice back, ya know?

So like tonight, after a busy weekend and usually several hours at my son's football game, we generally want to eat out, relax, have drinks, etc.  It was tradition. I miss it.  Eating out is just too hard and I don't like my food choices.  Once we complete reintro, I will likely return to this habit. I just hope I make better menu choices.

Talk to you all soon. 

Oh,  cvan, I ordered the chips online from Barefoot Provisions.

Happy penultimate W30 day, everyone!

I am also looking forward to the official end date, but like others, will do my best to stay clean. I will be traveling starting Thursday and I know that the good old airport food scene is pretty bleak for healthy eating but should be able to make reasonable choices once we land. I wish I could report that I have kicked my cravings and have full tiger blood, but I can say that I am not jonesin' for crap food and I do feel pretty good, despite some neck and lower back injuries.

Have a great day, all!

Happy Penultimate Day to you too!  Wowza cz- wish I could get that deal for under $30, let alone under $14.  lmc- thanks for the coconut chips info.  I might get some for my next W30.

I did not measure myself before the W30 began and wish I had.  I lost more inches than pounds it seems.  So glad I did such a big prep job on Saturday so I can just do my little reintro and stick to the program mostly from there.

29 hours to go!!!!!

I really like the shopping options I have. Eating things grown close by is great. I went to a local western store a few weeks ago to buy some new boots and saw the fields of veggies! This was just 30 minutes outside of Seattle. Even large (ish) cities can grow food. There are a handful of fig tress in my hood. I knocked on doors asking if I could pick some. Now I have access to figs, apples, plums, grapes and hops - all in a 5 block radius.

Good luck to all with the reintroduction. I plan on using butter in the pan for my eggs!

The new beginning is near!  I am now a black coffee drinker. Must make me an adult for sure :)  I did not even drink the stuff till I hit my 30's. Now my day starts with it EVERY day. I am happy with one dependency.

Actually, my day starts with taking the dog out. Then coffee.

Good Morning and HAPPY DAY 30!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Life has been crazy busy and hectic the last bit and I have missed seeing you all.  I just caught up and glad to see everyone pushing thru and continuing on this journey!

I am very excited today is day 30 and a little nervous for day 31.  I want to do the reintroduction I am just not sure if I will do the structured or on my own.  I also want to continue eating more whole 30 meals than not.  I feel great, and don't want that to end.

So glad I found this group of amazing people and will continue to check in.

:D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

It's Day 30!!  One of my kidos just asked if it seemed to take forever to get here - I think it went by pretty fast.  Last week or so, I've kind of lost track of where we are in the day count - but it was always crystal clear that Tuesday is Day 30!  Today is Tuesday!

Skimmed through It Starts with Food this morning.  Found a local source for good, healthy, happy beef - but have to buy a "side" - afraid that will require a new, bigger freezer!  Already committed to a "quarter" hog - from an awesome local farm where we had the privilege of seeing a brand new litter (if that's the correct term for a whole bunch a baby piglets) just hours after they were born.  Really, really, really don't want to eat conventionally, factory farmed meat.  Really, really, really...

Favorite thing gained in last 30 days - not thinking about the scale!  What liberation!

Yeah!!!  We did it!  I also felt the time flew by.  I think it was the focus on food prep and meals that held my attention.  My favorite thing has been not being a slave to peanut butter, alcohol and cheese.  I do not plan to reintro pb or cheese/dairy any time soon other than half and half.  Will keep the booze to a minimum for sure.  Will also check in.

Chef- what makes you an advanced member?

Archived