Joining in!! Start date 8/24

ajburg

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey everyone!  Dunie, so glad to hear from you.  I thought we lost you.  :D  

I honestly don't know how I want to handle tomorrow.  All I really want is occassionally some caramel in my coffee - no cream,

and toast.  That's it.  

Do you guys think I could just try those 2 as long as I spread the days out?  Mostly, my concern is that the caramel is just sugar and would that just set me back since it is nutrient "empty"?  And with regard to the toast, does it make sense to do gluten free grains first?

Hmmmm. Thoughts anyone?

So proud of all you!!!!  Didn't it seem like 30 days would be forever and now it feels like we started last week.  lmc

Absolutely agree that felt like 30 days would be forever and now we're at the "finish" line.

I plan on taking it slowly for sure.  But there will be sweetener (and whole30 compliant cashew milk) in my coffee tomorrow morning.  Can't do coffee without the sweetener.  I tried numerous times.  And my coffee has is what I've missed most of all.  Will definitely reintroduce dairy, in a limited fashion, and plan to keep bread and such at a real minimum.  It's going to have to be a time that it's "worth it" and not just because it was served with dinner.

Great job everyone. 

Hey everyone!  Dunie, so glad to hear from you.  I thought we lost you.  :D  

I honestly don't know how I want to handle tomorrow.  All I really want is occassionally some caramel in my coffee - no cream,

and toast.  That's it.  

Do you guys think I could just try those 2 as long as I spread the days out?  Mostly, my concern is that the caramel is just sugar and would that just set me back since it is nutrient "empty"?  And with regard to the toast, does it make sense to do gluten free grains first?

Hmmmm. Thoughts anyone?

So proud of all you!!!!  Didn't it seem like 30 days would be forever and now it feels like we started last week.  lmc

I have been wanting to check in but the days just got away from me.  So glad you are doing great!

I have come up with a plan for my reintroduction (I think)

Day 1 - Non gluten grain day 

Day 4 - Dairy

Day 7 - Glutenous grains

Maybe legumes next or sometime in the future, not much of a legume person

I wish I knew about the caramel, I would say hold off since it might trigger more cravings for sugar.  I am having some sugar cravings the last few days, i'm not sure if it is real or a reaction to stress and busyness the last bit.  I am holding off!!!!

lmc, how is your son doing?  Feeling ok?

I honestly don't know how I want to handle tomorrow. All I really want is occassionally some caramel in my coffee - no cream,

and toast. That's it.

Do you guys think I could just try those 2 as long as I spread the days out? Mostly, my concern is that the caramel is just sugar and would that just set me back since it is nutrient "empty"? And with regard to the toast, does it make sense to do gluten free grains first?

If the only off-plan foods you want to eat again are caramel and toast, that would be what to reintro, with 2 days of Whole30 eating in between. If you want to eat toast containing gluten, reintro that type of toast. If you want gluten-free toast, then reintro that type of toast (on a different day).

I am so excited we made it!  The only thing I would like to try would be cream or milk in my coffee - which would be best?  Whole milk or Cream - I buy my milk from a local dairy.  I think I may do it not even daily - maybe as a treat. 

I love that this plan does not have you eating every 3 hours!  You just prep food for one or two day ( which is work), and move on with life.  I live in Louisiana and our lives revolve around eating, and the next meal.  So this has been an adventure .

I'm still here, just fighting a bronchitis something-or-other. Hubby and I may add toast to our breakfast, which we did on our first W30 (although we went nuts after that)...this time we will stay at it until vacation in late October...take a short break, and then back at it!

I plan to continue checking here for wisdom & encouragement. Congrats to ALL !!!

We're here.  OMG and I am too afraid to make a move.   :lol:

Hey Dunie, thanks for asking about my son.  He did fantastic!  I was glowing this morning when he explained to his "older" sister how the sugar dragon works and why we will not be bringing sweets and ice cream back into the house.  Love it!

Bad news is I did reintro peanut butter for him at breakfast.  A heaping scoop he ate off the spoon.  Smuckers all natural.  He said it never tasted so good.  Then.....about 15 minutes later, he was laying on the ground with a severe stomach cramp.  And there went that.  But it is all good news really because now we know.

I may try it again at dinner just to be sure but only if he wants to.

Everybody write what you tried today.  Can't wait to hear how it goes.  lmc

We made it! Great to be here. Got on the scale and was surprised I had not lost more weight, only 8 lbs. But I feel fantastic, and that is in line with the 2 pounds per week I had been doing before my plateau on Gluten free/LCHF. So with the 13 I lost prior to that, I'm on track for a 30 lb loss for the year.

I feel I have finally learned a plan that is good for maintenance, energy and high performance at work and life in general. The change in habits is the biggest thing I have taken from this. It will make moving forward much easier. As I've said, I will be sticking to the strict Whole30 rules until my vacation in October. We'll be doing it together for the days between Oct. 19th and Thanksgiving. I'll stay in touch on this thread also.

It was so encouraging and supportive to have you all to help and guide me through this great change, and I look forward to many more days of your help. Not planning on any reintros at this point. I already know that gluten and grains would throw me into a gastric tizzy, so not gonna do it. Dairy i will try on vacation, but only hard cheeses. 

Congratulations to you all, and keep up the great job.

Mike

We made it! Great to be here. Got on the scale and was surprised I had not lost more weight, only 8 lbs. But I feel fantastic, and that is in line with the 2 pounds per week I had been doing before my plateau on Gluten free/LCHF. So with the 13 I lost prior to that, I'm on track for a 30 lb loss for the year.

I feel I have finally learned a plan that is good for maintenance, energy and high performance at work and life in general. The change in habits is the biggest thing I have taken from this. It will make moving forward much easier. \

Congratulations on your weight loss and feeling great, Mike, along with the energy and performance benefits you gained!

I'm curious whether your body composition changed: did you take before/after measurements or photos?

Also - congratulations to everyone on this thread who has completed their Whole30!! I encourage you to post your successes in the Success Stories section of the forum. 

Glad we made it!  I lost 8.5 lbs between the Whole30 and upping my workout in the past few weeks.  I'd been stuck for awhile, so this was nice to see this morning.  I did measurements before we started, but won't have time to check that until tonight.  Curious about that for sure.

I'm going to add a little dairy (miss my ranch dressing - it's all about the buttermilk) and just enough sweetener to bring coffee back.  I'm not anti-gluten, but really want to leave bread out of my life as much as possible.  I LOVE bread and one roll leads to too many more.

Great job everyone!  Thank you so much for the encouragement and assistance along the way.  I'll be doing this again I'm sure.

Yea all of us but really sorry to hear about your son's stomach cramps, lmc. Proud to hear of him "schooling" his older sister about eating healthy foods!

Almost picked up a celebratory bag of butter popcorn at Sbux this morning. But took a look at the less-than-healthy ingredients and decided that I did not need a food reward so that's a step forward. I lost 7 lbs over the 30 days, which is monumental for me. Pretty sure that I won't be able to keep it all off, but would like to stay clean and healthy for my upcoming vacation. I plan to ask myself before any unhealthy choice, "do I really need to taste this? How will I feel after eating this?" to make sure that if I introduce new stuff there's a darn good reason for doing so.

Not confident that I will have reliable wifi while away but if so, will try to check in to see how you all are doing.

WAY FOR US TO GO!!  Everyone should take a moment to pat yourself on the back.

I lost 13 lbs.!  Now will concentrate on continuing with my new healthier eating and drinking habits so I continue on this.  Goal is to lose 12 more by Christmas and be off my BP meds.

Yesterday I got a coupon in the mail for a 99 cent Dunkin Donuts XL coffee!  Perfect timing- LOL.  Must be a reward for not using that diet coke coupon.  So, I had my DD coffee w/cream and feel fine so far.  Will have a glass of wine tonight, and that is it for the reintro for now.  Have a date with my hubby to celebrate our Anniversary (was 9/21) so don't know what I'll do for that.  Probably a burger w/out bun and maybe cole slaw or side salad.

Way to go guys we made it!

I lost 9 pounds - and I am going to keep going.  Last nite I thought I will add cream to my hot tea - and then this morning I just kept on with the almond milk and ghee.  Fixed a crabmeat omelet for lunch - unless something is worth it I am going to keep at it.  They just opened a Dunkin Donuts here, but not sure it is what I call "worth it". 

Congratulations to us!  It feels so awesome to have done what we set out to do - yes?

The damn scale!  I stepped on it this morning - waited until after I had written down all my non-scale victories, just in case.  I'm down 9.3 pounds (does the decimal point give you an idea about how obsessed I am?).  Spent several minutes - maybe an hour - being disappointed.  Can you believe it?  Crazy!  Maybe I should toss it for good!

What to add back today?  Maybe corn tortillas.  My 18 year old son wants to go to "Mexican" for his last supper before being delivered to University of Oregon tomorrow!

Good Morning and Happy Day 31!!!!!!

What an amazing gift this has been!  I learned so much and am excited to see how the next bit works and how I am able to keep focused on feeling good.

lmc - sorry to hear your son had that reaction to the PB.  It is great to know though!  I love that he is so into it and is now explaining it to his sister...that's awesome!

I decided today would be non glutenous grains for me - I had corn on the cob this morning, will have a bit of white rice at lunch, and will add corn tortilla or corn chips with dinner.  So far all has been fine with the corn.  I may do the legumes at the end of this as a reintro just to see how my body reacts even though I don't really eat it much.

I lost 9.6 pounds and 13.25 inches in these past 30 days.  I am SUPER happy about it but did find myself a little disappointed it wasn't more.  What is wrong with me????? Really I lost 9.6 pounds in 30 days eating great amazing food, not counting calories, portions etc.  I love this!  I have plenty more to lose and I will get there eventually.  I feel great and that is the most important part.

My wife lost 22.8 pounds and 13.25 inches - I find it funny we lost the same number of inches.  She is SO excited to have lost the weight, cut back on her diabetes meds and insulin and is FEELING SO MUCH BETTER!  She doesn't want to do the structured reintroduction, so she is on her own with that.  She says she will be conscious of how she feels, what the reason is for eating what she is eating, and tastes....so I am hoping for the best!  This is a person who has never dieted before, ate all the wrong things, eats out as much as possible, etc.  I am SO incredibly proud of her!

I definitely see myself doing another Whole 30 in my future, maybe even a few Whole 10's or Whole 15's if schedules don't allow for the whole 30.  I'm hoping to remain mostly whole 30 for life with the occasional treat or gluten, dairy, grain etc.  WE DID IT!!!!

I posted this earlier to Facebook and feel it is appropriate for here as well:

What I've learned from Whole 30:

I can do anything I put my mind to
I can eat 3 healthy meals a day
I can cook
I can experiment
I can put myself/my health first
I can eat eggs more than I thought I could
I can feel better
I won't be afraid of trying new things
I won't be afraid of experimenting
I don't NEED snacks
I don't NEED sugar
I don't NEED gum or mints
I don't NEED coffee
I don't NEED headaches, fatigue, fogginess, moodiness, food crashes
I don't NEED Frankenfoods
I don't NEED preservatives and additives
I can decide what I want
I can have snacks and/or sugar
I can decide what is worth it
I can decide and choose the path that works for me
I can set a goal 
I CAN and I DID and I WILL

Congratulations on your weight loss and feeling great, Mike, along with the energy and performance benefits you gained!

I'm curious whether your body composition changed: did you take before/after measurements or photos?

Also - congratulations to everyone on this thread who has completed their Whole30!! I encourage you to post your successes in the Success Stories section of the forum. 

I did Chris, my waist is down by 2 inches, also I can feel that the visceral fat in my upper abdomen area is much less. i can also see my muscle definition again.

When I weighed this morning the scale said 39.6!

Considering I started at 200+, this was quite a surprise! Time for a new scale...ha ha!

I actually lost 9 pounds! Husband and I had an ice cream cone this evening, but will return to the plan tomorrow. Just a little celebration!

Congrats everyone- looking forward to continuing this journey with you all! By the way- we live in Oklahoma-USA!

I am 5'9" and was 167. Now 160 and I lost 2 inches off my hips. My work pants fit!  The NSV moments are the true win.

Going 30 days without beer is a BIG deal for me. I really like good, local, hoppy beer. 2 or 5 a night, 7 days a week. I read about beer, drink beer, hang out with people that make beer, and make some myself.

I used butter to cook my eggs this morning. Eggs with artichoke hearts and prosciutto, and avocado.

Having a beer with friends this weekend!

Wow.  What a joy to wake to all your success stories this AM!  So happy for all of you.  Thank you all for sharing throughout this journey.  It has truely brought joy to my experience.

DJS, DITCH THE SCALE.  I am like you and was absolutely obsessed prior to W30.  I had to stowe it under a chair and out of sight.  Couldn't even get myself to pull it out yesterday; was too scared.  So DJS, if you felt better about yourself before you got on scale, then DITCH THE SCALE.  :)    You've had so many successes over past 30 days.

As for me, I was truely too afraid to do anything yesterday. LOL.  Anyway, "felt" thinner this AM so I did it.  In the dark so as not to wake hubby, crawled into corner to duck under chair and shimmy scale out and tip toe to bathroom with it.  I felt so sneaky.  Anyway, good news, I didn't gain weight.  Whew.  Seriously, every time I tried to eat a strict healthy diet I gained weight.  So anyway, I lost 4lbs, down to 112 which is pretty huge deal for me.  Being close to ideal weight always meant even 1lb was difficult.  So YEH.  Now, back to your hiding place ratty scale!

Have a great day guys.  Oh and guess what?  One step forward, two steps back.  My son ate the peanut butter I put in his lunch (and forgot to take out after stomach pain) and had no issues?????  So after dinner I let him try again and again no issues?  He thinks he undercooked his morning eggs.  Is this possible?  I am so confused on that one.

The wine and coffee with cream are a disappointment, thankfully.    Even before W30 coffee was starting to taste bitter- home brew or bought.  Will make W30+ round 2 on Wednesday easier for sure.  No side effects so far that I've noticed, although 30 days w/out alcohol produced quite a buzz last night after a glass and a half.

I also have 50 lbs. yet to lose, so hopefully the W30 will help me not plateau as quickly nor as long.

Introduced a little dairy (ranch dressing) and sweetener for my coffee yesterday.  Went well.  Still planning to stay pretty close to the Whole30 foods though.  And I'll be doing another one of these in the future.

Finally measured last night.  Lost 8.5 pounds and 5 inches.  Hoping this has broken through that long-lasting plateau I had going for awhile. 

Traveling this weekend so glad I'm not in the middle of my Whole30.  But my husband is leaving town for work on October 1st.  Wonder if that's a good time to get back with it?

So glad to hear everyone's accomplishments.

Good Morning Everyone!!!!

YAY lmc on the scale going back into hiding.  Also great that the PB didn't affect your son after the first bit.  Could it have just been shock in the initial serving?  

I did non glutenous grains yesterday - Corn cob, rice, corn chips....felt ok overall but not great.  Did notice a bit of an energy slump in the afternoon and felt fuller after meals.  I woke up today not as perky as I had been and my legs are a little sore.  I am thinking I may need to divorce corn or at least come to an agreement that we don't see each other too often.

Hope everyone has a great day today!

Archived