Joining in!! Start date 8/24

ajburg

I was surprised the last two days waking up not feeling the "hangover" like what was warned, maybe it hasn't hit me yet or maybe my actual hangovers feel so much worse that I don't notice ;)

All three days so far I've felt much calmer (no anxiety really), but a little irritable occasionally, though work has been stressful too.

Has anyone experienced intense nausea during the day?  I've felt fine, but my coworker (who was recently told by her doc that she was edging towards pre-diabetic) had it really bad about an hour after lunch yesterday and a little late this morning before lunch.  Any thoughts?

Feeling quite the same.  Calmer but occassionally irritable.  My 9 year old has been nauseous.  It comes and goes.  And while "kill all things" is not scheduled till tomorrow, lol, tonight on way to drum lessons he said, "Mommy I don't know what's wrong, I just want to scream at someone.  Really scream.  I don't know why".  Poor kid.  I told him it would go away and he argued "No, no it is not going away!"  Guess asking him to give it a couple days was too much at the moment.  Good news is he plays football and got to go to a 2 hour practice and take it out on the running backs. :)

Maybe due to being preoccuped with my fears of  my son making it through the 30 days, I am not noticing anything too negative.  

Keep us posted.  I can't wait to hear everyone's Day 4 and 5.  lynne

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day three and I've got the coffee down. Half teaspoon of almond butter w/ 1 teaspoon of coconut milk. Good mouth feel and totally not hitting the dairy notes. I've been off grains and sugar for a year now, so that hurdle is bounded. Feeling a burst of energy already. After all this time, I still have trouble with

the smell of toast in the hallway at work, a sense memory thing I guess. If anyone would like some recipe ideas, I've got lots. Best of luck to all.

You guys and gals all sound great and strong and clear. I started #2 on the 23rd as well and am so happy to be reminded of the benefit of the forums...such great support and helpful tips. I just ordered an Instapot at he recommendation of M Tam from Nom Nom...time to sell my rice cooker, pressure cooker, extra steamer, etc....YAY!

Feeling bloated even though staying compliant, but it is early, and I recall from my first w30 that I didn't really feel any body changes in a positive direction until more than ten days in.l.except perhaps for better sleep. what really helps me? NO WINE...which also means no sugar...breaking free I am...

Day three and I've got the coffee down. Half teaspoon of almond butter w/ 1 teaspoon of coconut milk. Good mouth feel and totally not hitting the dairy notes. I've been off grains and sugar for a year now, so that hurdle is bounded. Feeling a burst of energy already. After all this time, I still have trouble with

the smell of toast in the hallway at work, a sense memory thing I guess. If anyone would like some recipe ideas, I've got lots. Best of luck to all.

Yes Chef Mike, I would like recipe ideas.  What do you have for kid friendly breakfast?  Day 4 and my son is already saying "Pleeease no more eggs".  I have to make things more fun and interesting.  He is 9.  I'll take any ideas you have.  Lynne

Day 3 for me and good Lord, I feel cruddy. It was soooo hard getting out of bed today...AND I have a headache and feel like I'm coming down with something. I'm going to chalk it up to the W30 hangover and just keep pushing on. I haven't been craving much but I do miss my Dt. Mountain Dew...so I bought some La Croix sparkling water to help settle the carbonation fix.

Last night, instead of going home for a glass of wine to reward myself for just getting through the day (sad, I know.), I went and had my hair done to get a little self pampering...so nice and relaxing and totally worth it versus that wine! I even added some fun color for kicks!

Chef Mike, with your coffee, do you blend your almond butter and coconut milk? or just stir it in?

Last night I was able to do a "healthy" W30 treat. If I'm out on errands, I usually want to treat myself to a latte or baked good. I often talk myself out of it but that pull is there. I found myself in the same scenario after dinner. I stopped at a local tea shop that focuses on gluten-free and healthy foods, and got an unsweetened iced tea. After the initial sip, it actually tasted good. Bonus that they also had protein balls - one with unsweetened cocoa, dates, and flax. The PB ones looked so much better, but it was nice to have an option while on W30. 

Yesterday I found myself hungry during the day. I could have eaten more at breakfast but didn't, so I'm piling it on today. 

M1-Large portion of spinach frittata from the book, roasted butternut squash, black coffee

M2 - Planning on tuna with paleo mayo and relish, mixed with broccoli slaw, avocado and cherry tomatoes; monkey salad (bananas, cashews, coconut flakes)

M3 - Either cube steak (if this slow cooker recipe turns out well) with green beans, or taco salad if not

Pumpkin seeds or almonds if I need a snack. I'm still feeling really tight and stiff in my muscles - anyone else? I did a little extra magnesium yesterday, added more salt to food for today, and will eat a banana to try and add potassium.  

Pumpkin seeds or almonds if I need a snack. I'm still feeling really tight and stiff in my muscles - anyone else? I did a little extra magnesium yesterday, added more salt to food for today, and will eat a banana to try and add potassium.  

khan47, yes, muscle aches continue.  Why is that? Added salt yesterday but don't take any supplements.  Meant to take a bath with epsom salts for magnesium that way but.....forgot.  Still not real hungry so I have banannas but can't get myself to eat it.  Let me know if those tricks work for your muscles.  I feel like I have been working out but I actually haven't done anything at all this week.  Hmmmm. lynne

Yes Chef Mike, I would like recipe ideas.  What do you have for kid friendly breakfast?  Day 4 and my son is already saying "Pleeease no more eggs".  I have to make things more fun and interesting.  He is 9.  I'll take any ideas you have.  Lynne

It's hard, with all the grains off the menu, but there is a concoction I've been know to "whip" up in just such instances. I based this on the Oopsie bread I used to make when I was doing LCHF and really wanted a burger to hold in my hand. Pancakes consisting of 1/2 cup coconut flour, 1/2 cup almond or cashew meal, 2 eggs separated, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp baking soda, 3 Tbsp Ghee, water to consistency of pancake batter. Coconut oil or bacon fat to pan fry in. Mix together the dry ingredients, add the ghee and blend with a fork until lumpy and distributed. mix in the egg yolks and enough water(small amounts at a time) to make a thick but pliable batter. Cover and let this sit over night if you like or 20 min if you are making it on the weekend. When you are ready to start making the cakes, whip the egg whites with just a small pinch of salt in a clean bowl until stiff peaks. Fold this into the prepared batter and spoon or scoop (about 2 Tbsp) onto a skillet with hot(med) oil. 3 min on the first side 1 min after flipping. Great with fresh berries compote or any favorite fat or both.

khan47, yes, muscle aches continue.  Why is that? Added salt yesterday but don't take any supplements.  Meant to take a bath with epsom salts for magnesium that way but.....forgot.  Still not real hungry so I have banannas but can't get myself to eat it.  Let me know if those tricks work for your muscles.  I feel like I have been working out but I actually haven't done anything at all this week.  Hmmmm. lynne

You definitely need to up your salt intake when on a plan like this or the headaches and muscle aches/cramps can be a bummer. I've tried to keep my intake at 3500mg - 4500mg of sodium whenever I start a plan that restricts water binding carbs, because your kidneys are going to shed loads of sodium the first 2 weeks. This will also make you constipated and foggy headed. I sounds like a lot, but it really isn't.

Here we are. Day 4! I wanted a slice of cheese pizza more than *anything* last night. So, I made sure to avoid driving near any pizza places. Made it home and cooked up some shrimp and summer squash in coconut oil.

I think I missed the whole "hangover" - maybe because I've been through this before?

The problem I had before was drinks. I swore if I drank another glass of water I was going to float away. While wandering WalMart last night (of all places) I found this fruit juice from Bolthouse Farms. It's all organic and contains strawberry, blueberry, apple, coconut water, blackberry, and spinach. Now I know we're supposed to *eat* the fruit and not drink it, but I'm hoping one of these a week (or so) will help break up the water cycle.

Stay positive, everyone!

It's hard, with all the grains off the menu, but there is a concoction I've been know to "whip" up in just such instances. I based this on the Oopsie bread I used to make when I was doing LCHF and really wanted a burger to hold in my hand. Pancakes consisting of 1/2 cup coconut flour, 1/2 cup almond or cashew meal, 2 eggs separated, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp baking soda, 3 Tbsp Ghee, water to consistency of pancake batter. Coconut oil or bacon fat to pan fry in. Mix together the dry ingredients, add the ghee and blend with a fork until lumpy and distributed. mix in the egg yolks and enough water(small amounts at a time) to make a thick but pliable batter. Cover and let this sit over night if you like or 20 min if you are making it on the weekend. When you are ready to start making the cakes, whip the egg whites with just a small pinch of salt in a clean bowl until stiff peaks. Fold this into the prepared batter and spoon or scoop (about 2 Tbsp) onto a skillet with hot(med) oil. 3 min on the first side 1 min after flipping. Great with fresh berries compote or any favorite fat or both.

I'd just like to point out that these are fine for kids doing Whole30, but NOT for adults - no using compliant ingredients to recreate baked goods, breads, pancakes etc - these would be SWYPO for adults I'm afraid.

Last night I was able to do a "healthy" W30 treat. If I'm out on errands, I usually want to treat myself to a latte or baked good. I often talk myself out of it but that pull is there. I found myself in the same scenario after dinner. I stopped at a local tea shop that focuses on gluten-free and healthy foods, and got an unsweetened iced tea. After the initial sip, it actually tasted good. Bonus that they also had protein balls - one with unsweetened cocoa, dates, and flax. The PB ones looked so much better, but it was nice to have an option while on W30. 

Yesterday I found myself hungry during the day. I could have eaten more at breakfast but didn't, so I'm piling it on today. 

M1-Large portion of spinach frittata from the book, roasted butternut squash, black coffee

M2 - Planning on tuna with paleo mayo and relish, mixed with broccoli slaw, avocado and cherry tomatoes; monkey salad (bananas, cashews, coconut flakes)

M3 - Either cube steak (if this slow cooker recipe turns out well) with green beans, or taco salad if not

Unfortunately this would be off limits I'm afraid - see below from the official 'Can I Have...' guide:

Cacao (or 100% cocoa) is great when used as a savory spice (our Mocha Steak Rub, found in It Starts With Food, is a great example), but you can also feel free to add it to your coffee or tea, or brew it Crio Bru-style. But per the rules of the program, it’s not okay to add cocoa to dates and other fruits to make chocolate-y confections

Sorry!

Oopsie.   Paleo pancakes are not allowed.  It's their formations that remind you of the real thing.  The Paleo versions seldom satisfy and stir up cravings for the authentic.   A SWYPO may be made out of 100% compliant ingredients but the formation sets up a longing in the brain for the real deal.  There are other Paleo oopsie treats that are made out of alternative flours like tapioca and rice that jack up the blood sugar like wheat flour.   Other than a wheat allergy, they're not much of a trade UP.    Almost all Paleo snacks are SWYPO's.  The ones that are shelf-ready in brightly colored packages are all the rage but do little for your health. 

Day 4 - bring it on!

Finally got a good night's sleep last night and feeling like I can tackle the day with more ease.

Food is getting to be a little boring.....it probably isn't the food, but it's more that I am cooking 3 meals a day or eating 3 meals I made as opposed to eating out or having a protein shake.  With a picky eater (wife) I was trying to limit the first week to things I knew she liked.  It was ok the first day, but then she started her hangover and kill all things.  We are pushing thru and finally seeing the NSV!!!!  So nice to see her legs not so swelled and pointing it out to get a huge smile :D ....life is good.  Breaking her relationship with food is going to the toughest  :unsure:

I bought a pressure cooker thingy the other day.  I am thinking some pot roast might be good for dinner - something comforting and different than the grilled meats and veggies we've done the last few days.

Hope everyone is having a great day! 

Oopsie.   Paleo pancakes are not allowed.  It's their formations that remind you of the real thing.  The Paleo versions seldom satisfy and stir up cravings for the authentic.   A SWYPO may be made out of 100% compliant ingredients but the formation sets up a longing in the brain for the real deal.  There are other Paleo oopsie treats that are made out of alternative flours like tapioca and rice that jack up the blood sugar like wheat flour.   Other than a wheat allergy, they're not much of a trade UP.    Almost all Paleo snacks are SWYPO's.  The ones that are shelf-ready in brightly colored packages are all the rage but do little for your health. 

It is a recipe for a child who is joining his parent in Wh30 experience. A 9 year old won't be having SWOWOP. ;-)

Day 4 - bring it on!

Finally got a good night's sleep last night and feeling like I can tackle the day with more ease.

Food is getting to be a little boring.....it probably isn't the food, but it's more that I am cooking 3 meals a day or eating 3 meals I made as opposed to eating out or having a protein shake.  With a picky eater (wife) I was trying to limit the first week to things I knew she liked.  It was ok the first day, but then she started her hangover and kill all things.  We are pushing thru and finally seeing the NSV!!!!  So nice to see her legs not so swelled and pointing it out to get a huge smile :D ....life is good.  Breaking her relationship with food is going to the toughest  :unsure:

I bought a pressure cooker thingy the other day.  I am thinking some pot roast might be good for dinner - something comforting and different than the grilled meats and veggies we've done the last few days.

Hope everyone is having a great day! 

Hey Dunie, I made brisket from the Whole 30 recipes in book last night.  Added carrots, celery, sweet and white potatoes.  Very comfort food and whole family devoured it.  Give it a try.  Lynne

Hi Lynne. There's a couple of really good cookbooks I like with 'alternative' breakfast. One is called "Practical Paleo" and the others are "Well Fed" and "Well Fed 2". I like Joulwans' philosophy of having 'dinner' for breakfast and vice versa. I don't have kids but would hamburgers for breakfast be appealing to a 9 yo? 

Chef Mike and all who added to forum regarding pancakes.  THANK YOU all.  "I" will not be eating them.  But thank you for your concern.  I would HATE to start over now.  I may try for my son though.  He is doing sooooo wonderful; he could use a break from eggs.  Thanks to everyone!  Lynne

Hi Lynne. There's a couple of really good cookbooks I like with 'alternative' breakfast. One is called "Practical Paleo" and the others are "Well Fed" and "Well Fed 2". I like Joulwans' philosophy of having 'dinner' for breakfast and vice versa. I don't have kids but would hamburgers for breakfast be appealing to a 9 yo? 

Thank you, thank you, thank you.  I will check them all out.  Son (Mikey), says resounding YES to hamburgers for breakfast.  Thanks again!

It is a recipe for a child who is joining his parent in Wh30 experience. A 9 year old won't be having SWOWOP. ;-)

Understood and appreciated.   I was talking about SWYPO's in general for those of us doing a Whole 30.  There are many others/adults who would love to eat a Paleo Pancake or Monkey Salad,  Paleo Mug Muffin, too. 

Good day all!

I've been talking about this whole 30 journey with many of my friends. A really interesting question came up on Day 2: what do you want your post-W30 life to be like? What elements of the W30 will you continue and which will you stop? 

I realize it's early on but I am curious if others have thought about this and what their strategy post-W30 is.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.  I will check them all out.  Son (Mikey), says resounding YES to hamburgers for breakfast.  Thanks again!

Practical paleo has this recipe for the 'bread' portion of the hamburger. Looks delicious. Not W30 compliant as it is a 'pancake' but I'm trying it out post-W30!

Practical paleo has this recipe for the 'bread' portion of the hamburger. Looks delicious. Not W30 compliant as it is a 'pancake' but I'm trying it out post-W30!

I've totally tried the Practical Paleo sweet potato pancake buns for a burger (not during W30 of course) and can vouch for it being amazing. Worth the wait. Cool to see another Torontonian in here, too :)

Today I feel like the clouds have parted and I am feeling much better about this second round. I have been incredibly grumpy since Sunday, but hopefully I am on my way up and up. Working on some goals.

M1: 1 pork sausage, 2 eggs fried in ghee, a dab of sauerkraut and avocado, a small portion of blueberries, and spinach with EVOO and balsamic.

M2: Leftover spaghetti squash bake (it was GOOD), mixed salad with EVOO, half a bottle of GT's kombucha, and plantain chips.

Tonight I am making a burrito bowl from this incredible book called Paleo Takeout. It's kind of like a take on Chipotle but homemade: citrus cauliflower rice, romaine lettuce, pico de gallo / guacamole, and marinated chicken thighs. I can definitely recommend this book.

That's an interesting question. After this round I want to have total food freedom (not stressing or feeling guilty about eating food), being able to turn down food for the sake of having food (nothing sub-par). I have a habit of getting dessert even if it nothing on the menu screams "worth it", I have been doing better saying no thanks to it, but I want to solidify that a bit. No more binging on food and learning to figure out when I am full. I want to continue the 3 meals a day template with some added natural sweetners now and again plus some SWYPO foods. I also want to continue reading labels and eating gluten / dairy free.

Day 4 - things are going good.  It is a little hard to eat that much for breakfast, but I am not hungry most of the time.  Most of my hunger is emotional/ mental.  The brain fog moved in this afternoon, or I was just super tired.  Have a question about water - How much water are we suppose to drink a day?  8 glasses?  I have flipped thru my books but can not seem to locate that information.

Thanks

Archived