Whole30 Compliant Lox

Okay, I tried to search this, but because lox is only three letters the search engine errored out! :)

Has anyone found a Whole30 compliant lox?  All of the lox in my grocery store had sugar in it. So disappointing. Why do we need to put sugar in every little thing?  Anyway, if anyone has found lox that is compliant, can you let me know?

Thanks!

I've found compliant smoked salmon at Sprouts and Whole Foods, but they were exorbitantly priced and not worth it for me to purchase. Depending on what you want to use it for, you may just be better off with canned salmon.

Ah, thanks for the search term tips!

I was hoping I could find something that would be good over my eggs with breakfast. I thought lox and avocado would make a nice combo with the eggs. But ouch. Not sure I can afford WF. 

Mackerel works really well with eggs & avocado too - and it's a whole lot cheaper than salmon.... 

Of course, you don't HAVE to have eggs for breakfast!

Mackerel works really well with eggs & avocado too - and it's a whole lot cheaper than salmon.... 

Of course, you don't HAVE to have eggs for breakfast!

oooooh, you said the magic word. I LOVE mackerel. I never thought to have it with eggs, or for breakfast. On man, that's an awesome idea.

• Moderators

I've found compliant smoked salmon at Sprouts and Whole Foods, but they were exorbitantly priced and not worth it for me to purchase. Depending on what you want to use it for, you may just be better off with canned salmon.

Not sure if your Whole Foods has this, but mine sells smoked salmon ends... It's in the pre-packaged cooler section.  It's not gorgeous thin pretty pieces... it's the off cuts, but it's approved and it tastes like the pretty pieces, but much much MUCH cheaper!

• 3 years later...
37 minutes ago, justholley said:

I know this is an older thread but Has anyone tried smoking their own lox?

I make my own all the time - noting that lox isn't smoked, its cured. Here's a really easy compliant recipe that's ready in 48 hours:

http://naturopathicgourmet.blogspot.com/2011/06/home-cured-gravlox-with-lemon-and-dill.html

I also make smoked salmon both cold smoked (the traditional stuff you get on bagels is cured like lox then cold smoked) and hot smoked (comes out more like a nice cooked salmon fillet with delicious smoky taste)

All right, I did it. I got a whole salmon filet and found some beautiful fresh dill so I started it curing yesterday. The salt/lemon/dill curing mix smelled great so I'm really keeping my finger crossed that it won't be too salty. I tried to do this without the added sugar once before using a very different recipe and it was too salty and had a really harsh taste to it. I'll post an update in a couple of days.

I find if it is too salty, give it a really good rinse then let it sit in the fridge, on a rack and uncovered, for 24-48 hours. It will develop a nice pelicle, and the salt equalizes. The recipe I posted above recommended just scraping the salt mix off, but actually giving it a rinse in cold water will make it less salty.

I have some in the fridge, too! Should be ready tonight, just in time for breakfast tomorrow. I did 2 smaller fillets, tempted to cold smoke 1 just for comparisons sake

Trader Joe's sells compliant Lox. It's their Wild Caught Smoked Sockey salmon. 

Yes, I'm aware I can make my own, but I am ok with some shortcuts.

This is the only smoked salmon I'll buy. I haven't been able to find anything else that is wild caught without added sugar.

https://todgermanica.com/2017/07/10/smoked-salmon-jerky-aiprotocolfodmaps-compliant/

I let mine cure two days and wiped it off so I could try it as recommended in the recipe. It was edible but too salty; I had some with an avocado to cut the salt. I took your suggestion and rinsed it then let it dry in the fridge overnight to develop a nice pellicle and it's much less salty but I can still taste the lemon and dill. It's so good and that was so easy! Thanks again for the recipe link. Did you smoke any of yours? I was thinking about cold smoking a small piece of mine to make deviled eggs for a party on Saturday.

9 hours ago, hollysmokes said:

I let mine cure two days and wiped it off so I could try it as recommended in the recipe. It was edible but too salty; I had some with an avocado to cut the salt. I took your suggestion and rinsed it then let it dry in the fridge overnight to develop a nice pellicle and it's much less salty but I can still taste the lemon and dill. It's so good and that was so easy! Thanks again for the recipe link. Did you smoke any of yours? I was thinking about cold smoking a small piece of mine to make deviled eggs for a party on Saturday.

I have one of my pieces in the fridge, thinking of smoking it today along with some duck breast I cured but haven't got to hanging but it's insano hot here today (forcast top of 113f) so I'm going to wait til late afternoon :)

Archived