Lake house weekend advice?

likelaiks

I'm headed up to the lake this weekend for a girls trip and am trying to figure out exactly what I need to bring for myself. We're all staying in a house with regular kitchen amenities, and have planned to buy groceries and mostly cook as a group. This should be easy in general, but I'd like to avoid making too many requests or cooking my own separate food...I'd rather blend in and not call attention to my weird diet (or the fact that I'm not drinking). I do have a big cooler bag to transport my own gear in if needed. 

Here's my current plan, I'd LOVE advice or any other ideas/past experiences! I'll be on days 12-14 during the trip. 

- Friday dinner: on the road, probably can't control where we're stopping. If we hit a Chipotle or in n' out I know what to order, but just in case I plan to pack a salad with chicken, pecans, and sliced apple. 

-Breakfasts: The current menu is cheesy eggs, fruit, bagels with cream cheese, pancakes  :(. I'll see if I can commandeer the stove for cheese-free eggs, but am thinking of bringing hard boiled eggs and single-serving guac to eat with the fruit. 

- Lunch: Stressing me out...we'll be on a boat and hanging at the beach away from the house...maybe eating at a restaurant. Probably can't bring my big cooler but was thinking carrots/celery, plaintain chips and salsa to hold me over. I would try to stuff down a chicken breast before leaving if we can. 

- Saturday dinner: BBQ with noncompliant hot dogs, buns, etc. I know we'll have compliant chicken sausage, grilled asparagus, zucchini, and avocado, but I may try to make sweet potato wedges for the group so I can eat some starchy carbs too! 

After that it's going to be drinking games all night...I'm going to try to bring like 6 massive bottles of sparkling water for the weekend and just pour into a wine glass/solo cup to make things less obvious. I'm sure I'll get called out but I'll try to be cool about it :P

- Sunday - same breakfast, and lunch on the road home. If we don't stop somewhere I can eat, I was thinking chicken breast+1/2 avocado+ banana as my emergency food. 

How does this look to you all? Any glaring gaps I missed, or things I could prepare for better? Any help is appreciated!

• Moderators

Okay, so it's not that unusual for people to have dietary restrictions so I don't think it's too unreasonable for you to make exceptions without worrying about calling 'attention to your weird diet'.

For your travel evening dinner, the salad sounds good.  Just make sure it's pretty big and if possible add cooked vegetables to it because salad greens aren't going to be too filling and if you're trying to avoid non-compliant snacking, you want to be full and not marginally starving the whole time.

Breakfast shouldn't be that hard. If you were allergic to dairy, you would commandeer the stove, so I think it's reasonable to just make some eggs.  I would bring some vegetables personally (either already cooked or maybe some pre-shredded yam that you can saute) because knowing what I knew about lunch, I would want to make sure I was eating to the high end of the template and not relying on fruit. I assume in situations like this that not everyone is going to eat 'cheesy eggs' and they're probably thinking they'll just ask for some to be cheese free so you're probably not going to be alone in that.

If you're eating lunch on a boat/beach, then I'd bring a heck of a lot more food than carrots and salsa/plantain chips.  Bring food. Actual lunch.  Hardboiled eggs, roasted but cold veggies, scotch eggs, cooked chicken, tinned sardines etc... I wouldn't 'try to stuff down a chicken breast' if I was you... bring it with you.  If you can, get a small softsided cooler or even a plastic bag in your beachbag with a frozen water bottle would be sufficient.  What is everyone else planning to eat on this boat for lunch?

Saturday dinner sounds good.  No reason you can't roast some yams or potato to add to the dinner

When you're thinking about packing food for some of these instances (lunch on the road), I'd be more likely to pack actual meal template meals than 'emergency bananas'.

As far as being judged or ridiculed, if these are people you are willing to spend a weekend away with, then I assume they're supportive friend types, so I wouldn't worry about what they think and just make sure you're nourished and on plan for the weekend.

Have fun!

Could you just tell your friends what you are doing? I'm not a fan of telling everyone about my diet or trying to convert people but if I knew someone well enough to go away with them if like to think I trusted them to support me.

I got ribbing from my sister and her family when I stopped drinking the first whole30 but now they are used to it and my close friends don't even comment, they ask if I want anything but that is it. My mother is a different matter but that's mothers for you...I wouldn't accept her behaviours from a friend anyhow!!

I was at my best friends yesterday when cakes came out. I didn't have one and got chatting afterwards with a friend of hers I don't really know and turns out she doesn't eat grains, nor do her family...you never know what others may want to do

Good luck!

Thanks for the help! SugarcubeOD, you made some good points about making actual template meals...from a planning perspective I didn't anticipate needing much food but we all know the reality is much different, particularly when you're surrounded by really delicious noncompliant food. 

As for telling/not telling the other ladies about my diet...there are 8 others going, 4 of which I know well and would (hopefully!) be supportive. The other 4 girls I have either only briefly met or never met at all! I know it shouldn't *really* matter what anyone thinks of me, but I have a feeling it'll be hard to prevent them from thinking I'm crazy/no fun/putting a damper on their big weekend of drinking and eating. I was at a similar situation at a BBQ last week and tried to keep a low profile, but the bunless burger and failure to participate in drinking games definitely gave me away, and while I was out of the room my boyfriend told the group I was on a "30 day cleanse". Ugh! 

I don't think people notice what you are doing if it doesn't affect what they want to do...you aren't stopping them eating and drinking.

on my 40th weekend away my sister went out after we ate out and got drunk with her best friend on 2 nights whilst I (with my best friend and our mother & aunt) chose to go the bed early...it didn't bother me and I'm not sure if can understand why it should. Your food/drink choices don't impact them at all.

• Moderators

Thanks for the help! SugarcubeOD, you made some good points about making actual template meals...from a planning perspective I didn't anticipate needing much food but we all know the reality is much different, particularly when you're surrounded by really delicious noncompliant food. 

One other thing... we here at Whole30 encourage eating meals big enough to fill you for 4-5 hours. Most people either snack or graze through the day or worse, eat nothing... you want to make sure YOU bring enough food for YOU... there is nothing worse, in my opinion, than anticipating that others eat the same way and then being SOL because 'we all decided to skip lunch' and you don't have anything as a back up. You definitely need more food than what they're probably planning... going by history... Whole30'rs eat more in general than a lot of people and most def probably more than a group of women together... it's just the way society is. So make sure you plan your template meals and hey, if you find you were able to eat with the crowd and not need them, share or take it home... better safe than starving and sorry!

Archived