Vegetarian Committing to Whole30 Low FODMAP

aspen71

I have been eating a whole food plant-based or vegetarian diet for nearly a year, primarily for health reasons.  My weight and blood-work is awesome!  Unfortunately, my digestion is not.  In an effort to resolve some persistent IBS symptoms, I am going to try a Whole30 low FODMAPs diet and see how I feel. It will be weird eating meat again, but without beans and peas, I don't see a way to get the needed protein.  (Eating a ton of eggs is not a good idea!)

My husband will likely eat what I am eating, but my son is still preferring soy-free vegetarian meals. So I'll be cooking two versions of everything, but it's doable. Looking forward to this experiment!

I start tonight.  (Already missing that glass of wine!!!) :unsure:

• Administrators

We had someone complete an omnivore Whole30 awhile back completely with eggs as protein as she wanted to determine the health effects of plant based proteins on her in her reintroduction.  There really is nothing wrong with eating eggs if you like them.  The myth of consumed dietary cholesterol being linked to the build of up cholesterol in the body has been debunked.

I realize eggs are a volatile topic, so I am posting a reply with caution, and only as a way of explaining my comment. The study debunking dietary cholesterol's connection with blood cholesterol that is often referenced was done on only 8 people back in 1971. There have been many studies since then that show otherwise. Peronsally, I have decided to limit my egg consumption to a few a week.  http://nutritionfacts.org/2015/08/18/dietary-cholesterol-affects-blood-cholesterol-levels/

The British heart foundation here admitted in 2007 that their advice for years claiming we needed to limit eggs to 3 a week was wrong...they said their recommendations had been made on flawed and insubstantiated research...in fact it's not only them, there have been numerous backtracks of late. The British incidence of high cholesterol and heart disease since Brits were advised to give up traditional items such as eggs in the morning for breakfast and instead eat cereal etc has risen catastrophically....along with obesity. Numerous studies have recently showed no there is link whatsoever between egg consumption and cholesterol levels.

Just to clarify, I eat eggs.  I believe that eggs can be part of a healthy diet.  But getting the majority of my protein needs from eggs only while on Whole30 would require me to eat nearly A DOZEN EGGS A DAY FOR 30 DAYS.  While some may have done it, I would never recommend someone consume that quantity of eggs. I plan on eating a mix of eggs and humanely raised chicken, pork and beef. 

I hope I am in the right place.  

Just to clarify, I eat eggs.  I believe that eggs can be part of a healthy diet.  But getting the majority of my protein needs from eggs only while on Whole30 would require me to eat nearly A DOZEN EGGS A DAY FOR 30 DAYS.  While some may have done it, I would never recommend someone consume that quantity of eggs. I plan on eating a mix of eggs and humanely raised chicken, pork and beef. 

I hope I am in the right place.  

You are in the right place.  :)  

Welcome!

I have been eating a whole food plant-based or vegetarian diet for nearly a year, primarily for health reasons.  My weight and blood-work is awesome!  Unfortunately, my digestion is not.  In an effort to resolve some persistent IBS symptoms, I am going to try a Whole30 low FODMAPs diet and see how I feel. It will be weird eating meat again, but without beans and peas, I don't see a way to get the needed protein.  (Eating a ton of eggs is not a good idea!)

My husband will likely eat what I am eating, but my son is still preferring soy-free vegetarian meals. So I'll be cooking two versions of everything, but it's doable. Looking forward to this experiment!

I start tonight.  (Already missing that glass of wine!!!) :unsure:

i didn't plan on low fodmaps before i started, but it's basically what i'm doing, as i found issues with fodmap containing foods early on in my whole30 (namely: cauliflower + brussels sprouts were the main culprits).

whole30 does mean a lot of eggs, and I completely understand where you're at. i just decided to eat what i could tolerate egg wise, and not beat myself up if my consumption did not equal the meal template.

i found starchy vegetables really useful for making a meal, and am slowly reintroducing chickpeas and lentils.

Archived