Quick! Give me your easiest meals!

Weebs

While I enjoy the occasional long kitchen session, I start school on Monday. It's a 17 credit semester. On top of that, I work and started to take yoga classes. I'll have no time in no time. My full schedule  has been a HUGE reason that I gained 60 pounds, mostly within a year. Now, I already know about having a few meal prep sessions. I'm lacking ideas that will keep things interesting, get me full, and make me healthy. 

<3 , 

Lacie

This is one of my favorites- and I'm not currently on Whole30. 

1. Throw a bag of "steam in bag" vegetables into the microwave and cook according to directions (subtracting 1-2 minutes from the cooking time). 
2. Heat some coconut or olive oil into a skillet. Toss in a couple sliced Aidell's chicken apple sausages. When the vegetables are done cooking, drain and add to the sausage mixture. 
3. Cook until the sausage and vegetables are starting to turn golden brown. 
4. While sausage and vegetables are cooking, pierce a sweet potato a few times and toss into the microwave. (I have a potato setting on my microwave). OR you can steam the sweet potato after cutting it into cubes and throw it into the sausage and vegetable mixture. 

One of my go-to ideas for babysitting jobs is this same meal with a couple modifications- namely, heating the sausage in the microwave since I won't always be able to cook it in a skillet. In those cases, I'll top everything with a packet of coconut butter. 

Best thing is, it takes just as much time to cook the entire package of sausages as it does to cook 1 or 2 links, so you might as well cook them all. It reheats WONDERFULLY.

If I'm really pushed for time & can't be bothered chopping fresh garlic, ginger & chillies I'll bung a whole large chicken in my crock pot without sealing in a pan, pour about 1/3 a can of coconut milk into a small mason jar & add my spices of choice (usually something like ginger, turmeric & cinnamon - about a tsp of each), close the jar & give it a good shake, pour it over the chicken & cook on low.

It can be done in 6hrs but I like mine to fall of the bones so I leave it for at least 8hrs.

It yields a really good amount of well flavoured protein with very little prep involved that I can add to any combination of veg/salad through the week.

Obviously tinned mackerel/salmon/tuna work just as well as protein sources for salads & require no prep.

If I'm really pushed for time & can't be bothered chopping fresh garlic, ginger & chillies I'll bung a whole large chicken in my crock pot without sealing in a pan, pour about 1/3 a can of coconut milk into a small mason jar & add my spices of choice (usually something like ginger, turmeric & cinnamon - about a tsp of each), close the jar & give it a good shake, pour it over the chicken & cook on low.

It can be done in 6hrs but I like mine to fall of the bones so I leave it for at least 8hrs.

It yields a really good amount of well flavoured protein with very little prep involved that I can add to any combination of veg/salad through the week.

Obviously tinned mackerel/salmon/tuna work just as well as protein sources for salads & require no prep.

I need to try this!

Just to add to this that with the last chicken I did on Sunday I let it go for close to 10hrs by which point the meat was literally falling off the bones because the bones were disintegrating!! I sieved the liquid off and have frozen it to use as stock for a soup - not quite bone broth, but all the goodness of the bones, and all the flavour of the chicken/spices/coconut milk.

I love upcycling!

Mine are so boring, but here you go:

Ground beef stir-fry: oil a wok or large skillet; cook ground beef until almost done; add 1/2 tsp each garlic powder, powdered ginger, and salt; toss in broccoli (that you chopped while the meat was cooking); cover and let the broccoli steam to your liking; eat!

Full-meal frittata: scramble 12 eggs in a big bowl; brown a pound of ground meat with whatever spices you like (I do salt, pepper, garlic, cinnamon, paprika, and nutmeg); stir in a pound of thawed, frozen chopped spinach; add meat/spinach mixture to eggs; pour everything into a greased 9"x13" casserole and bake at 350 F for 35 minutes; eat throughout the week, topped with avocado for extra deliciousness.

Pork shoulder: put a pork shoulder in the slow cooker with seasonings of choice; turn to 'low' and forget about it until dinner time (or set it up the night before and eat it for breakfast); eat with squash or potato that you baked a bunch of in advance, because it's just as easy to bake a couple potatoes as it is to bake up an entire bag. Provided you have the fridge space, of course.

• Administrators

Just to add to this that with the last chicken I did on Sunday I let it go for close to 10hrs by which point the meat was literally falling off the bones because the bones were disintegrating!! I sieved the liquid off and have frozen it to use as stock for a soup - not quite bone broth, but all the goodness of the bones, and all the flavour of the chicken/spices/coconut milk.

I love upcycling!

I do this now any time I cook meat (for example, roasting a whole chicken or pork chops or chicken breasts/thighs or after grilled steak rests for a bit etc, less so when I cook ground meats because that's just fat). I drain the juices into a container that sits in the freezer.  Then when it's time to make broth I defrost all that goodness and throw it in as extra liquid.  My broth has been amazing since I started doing that!  

Archived