Nuts/Seeds!

etaffy

Hello there :)

I am on day 12 and things are going pretty well, despite some digestive issues. I narrowed it down, and I think I'm eating too many nuts and not enough starch. I've adjusted my intake a little and its helping but not totally gone. Now I am probably down to one small serving of nuts a day. (Day 2 was alottttta almonds). 

How often exactly should we have these? I know fruit is no more than 2 a day, and I'm doing well on that but with nuts does "sparingly" mean definitely not daily? I'm having a hard time cutting them out completely. I am a bartender, so when I work late at night its an easy snack to have that won't spoil. I have some beef jerkey and RX bars, but I know RX bars are supposed to be for emergencies only. Any advice on lowering my nut intake, etc.? 

thanks!

• Moderators

It's probably best not to have them daily, especially if you're already having digestive issues.

Ideally, you'll eat meals that keep you satisfied long enough that you don't need to snack, but if you do need something between meals because you're hungry, try to have a mini meal of protein, fat, and vegetables, or at least two of those three. You could make meatballs, egg muffins/mini frittatas, or just leftovers. You could add coconut flakes or olives or avocado for fat, or mayo or some kind of sauce made from mayo, or something like chimichurri or Moroccan dipping sauce. And then if you really want finger food type food, chopped raw vegetables, or if you'll have a little while to actually eat something with a fork, any vegetables you have leftover would work. Most meats and vegetables are fine to eat cold. If you don't have a fridge to leave things in, you might want to invest in an insulated lunch bag, although most things that have been refrigerated are probably okay at room temperature for a few hours.

If they're upsetting your guts I'd ditch them entirely. I only ever eat them as a condiment - sprinkled on a salad (i like walnuts on a tuna salad, almond on a curried chicken one for example) or if a recipe calls for them eg sunbutter in sunshine sauce, almonds in romanesco sauce. I never just eat them by the handful.

Thanks! I think I'll ditch them for a few days and see if I notice a difference. Still trying to figure out snacks at work though. On nights I close I'm there 4:30 to 1 or 2am. I've brought food before and snacked but I have to eat it really quickly. Jerkey is probably a better option than nuts though. I'll see how work goes this weekend.

Speaking of mayo, I know they say to make your own.  However there is a delicious one by Tessamae's that only has olive oil, eggs, mustard (only made with mustard seed and turmeric), vinegar.  It seems like this would be compliant.  Any thoughts?  We have tried making mayo a few times and it never comes out right.

• Moderators

Speaking of mayo, I know they say to make your own.  However there is a delicious one by Tessamae's that only has olive oil, eggs, mustard (only made with mustard seed and turmeric), vinegar.  It seems like this would be compliant.  Any thoughts?  We have tried making mayo a few times and it never comes out right.

Yes, that is compliant. Most people have trouble finding it, or they have to get it shipped to them, so it usually ends up more expensive to buy it.

If you decide to try making your own again, I like this method. No waiting for things to get to room temperature, no slow drizzle, just throw it all in the jar and blend.

Archived