Getting Worried

Jena

My husband and I just finished our second week of Whole30. The first week we really didn't notice much but this past week has been a little scary. My husband suffers terrible from allergies and asthma and part of going on this was to help him. This past week he has been so congested he can't sleep at night and has to get up and nebulis (however you spell it) and with the harder medication. He's taking mucinex and his antihistamine daily it seems. Please don't tell me he shouldn't be taking all this meds because without it he wouldn't be able to breath. He's always had these problems but this past week has been worse then I've seen him.

I also have been having a lot more heart palputations and sinking feeling in my chest. I've also always gotten these things off and on but his past week it's been a lot more often then I recall every having. Plus I seem to get out of breath at the slightest excersion. I'd like to think all this is some "healing crisis" and will pass but I get worried it's all the fat and animal products.

But really I don't think we are eating an excessive amount. I make sure our meals are basically 2/3 vegetable and only 1/3 meat and a dollop of fat and I mostly use the grass fed Ghee for cooking or flavoring the vegetables and we eat sometimes half to one avocado a day. And again I hear the admonisments of Dr's Esselstyn, Barnard, and Fhurman in my head going ...bad bad bad...no oil, no animal products..vegan only...SEE!......

We are not yet willing to give up on this just yet but I am getting more concernered.

• Moderators

Most people do not report congestion or heart palpitations when they do a Whole30. Are you and your husband eating anything you've not eaten before? Are you eating a lot more of something you were eating only in moderation? Are you drinking plenty of water? Has anything else in your life changed besides your diet?

When I started eating paleo I started eating a lot more eggs than I had been before. After a week or so I started noticing a pretty big increase in my allergy and asthma symptoms. I decided to try eliminating eggs to see how I would feel, and the next day my breathing was *so* much better. You might try that and see what happens. Good luck and I hope you're able to figure out what's going on!

My heart palpitations have actually been non existent during my Whole30 experience. I'm on day 26, and I haven't had a single heart palpitation, which is amazing because I was getting them so often, I went to the doc for an EKG back in February. I also have allergies, but I haven't taken any medication nor have I had any congestion the last 26 days. My eyes still itch like crazy, but not bad enough for me to put drops in them.

I hope you get to the bottom things soon!

Hi Jena,

Heart palpitations are NOT a normal reaction, and it's serious enough of a symptom that you really should check in with your doc ASAP for underlying issues.

Although I am not a doctor, it is very unlikely that your symptoms are related to fat and animal products. It is more likely due to a vitamin or mineral deficiency or imbalance. I'm not 100% sure, but I believe all electrolytes, particularly sodium and magnesium, play an important role in maintaining heart rhythms. Are you salting your food?

You really should get to a doc and make sure that these are not related to an underlying heart condition, or an underlying thyroid issue, etc.

As for your husband, the allergies could definitely get worse before they get better. It doesn't help that this spring's been pretty terrible for seasonal allergies as well.

I'm sorry I didn't reply to all the responses sooner. Was away from my computer for awhile.

My husband drinks coffee and I drink tea but we haven't drank any more then we always have. In fact I'm trying to make sure we drink plenty of water. We haven't eaten anything we haven't eaten in the past. I have been making eggs for breakfast everyday but only four eggs with only two yokes. That's for both of us. He has eaten hard-boiled eggs off an on also. Plus the egg used in the homemade mayo. But we will go a couple days without eggs and see if anything changes. Yes I do salt my food. I don't use a lot of salt in cooking but do add a little before eating.

He always downplays his symptoms and now he says he must be just catching a cold or something. I would think we would be more resistant to colds eating this way. Hopefully for him it will eventually start to get better. As for me, I've had this heart stuff off and on for a long time and nothing has ever been said or done about it. Oh I've had EKG's and had to wear a monitor once (of coure it never acted up while I wore the monitor, Murphey's law I guess) but maybe it's time to go have them take another look at me.

We are still going strong on our Whole30 dispite this and just hope it is our bodies doing some kind of cleaning house. Thanks for the replys.

Now I really have to wonder about something. We haven't had eggs for two days now and we both seem to be doing a little better. HOWEVER, I'm not so sure it's the eggs.

Last week twice, maybe even three times, we got a chicken or a chicken breast premade from Harris Teeter. I made the comment, especially with the chicken breast, Wow this must have been one big chicken to have a breast this big. My husband said, yes and it's very tasty and moist. To this I said, yes but they probablly injected it with something to make it this way.

Now so far this week I have refused to run out to the store to buy this chicken even in a pinch. We've had a couple good IR sauna sweats and we are feeling better. Not great but compaired to last week a whole lot better. So now I wonder if it was something injected into those "rotissare" chickens. Damn I have to get to that farm and buy those pastured chickens and COOK. :P

And yes, I do still need to have myself checked out. Thanks.

I'm glad you're feeling better. It's sometimes hard to know what's going on with symptoms during the Whole30 - your husband's congestion could be seasonal allergies kicking up (it's pollen time!), or he could be catching a cold - that's also common during the Whole30. Your body is spending so many resources on repair and maintenance, it's entirely possible he's not prepared to fight off the bug going around. Or it could be something in the foods you've been eating - so hard to tell.

Again, with the palpitations, please work closely with your doctor on this. That's not something you want to mess around with, and we encourage everyone starting any new diet plan to check with their doctors first. Keep us posted.

Melissa

Archived