Older generation, Paleo believer, Whole30 Newbie starting 8/22/15

klassyart

Hi, you know, you CAN teach old dogs new tricks... I'm in my 70s, in great health, fair condition, but very young at heart with four grown children and eight grandchildren to keep me that way.

I've been Paleo for a couple of years now, thanks to my daughter and DIL, but have been slipping in my total commitment. So, I decided this would be a good reset to get me back on track.

I'd love to see a forum for us older folks taking this journey. We can also be a great encourager to those behind us. We've been there and done that and hopefully can help others along the way.

Now, off to the store to get ready for my first Whole30.

Klassyart

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi klassyart & welcome to Whole30

There are a few older women on the forums - you can take a look at this thread to interact with a few, although it's not particularly active... Feel free to post elsewhere though!

Well done on making this committment to you & to your health.

Hi, you know, you CAN teach old dogs new tricks... I'm in my 70s, in great health, fair condition, but very young at heart with four grown children and eight grandchildren to keep me that way.

I've been Paleo for a couple of years now, thanks to my daughter and DIL, but have been slipping in my total commitment. So, I decided this would be a good reset to get me back on track.

I'd love to see a forum for us older folks taking this journey. We can also be a great encourager to those behind us. We've been there and done that and hopefully can help others along the way.

Klassyart

Hi Klassy,  I will be 65 this September.  My husband and I started 9 days ago...Let's encourage away :D

Ny2la2montreal is quite a journey. Our birthdays are the same and I am an artist, too. Creativity is a large part of enjoying being in the kitchen. Will make spinach frittata in the morning-a new recipe to try. Wish my DH was onboard, but not so. Day 1 tomorrow.

Ny2la2montreal is quite a journey. Our birthdays are the same and I am an artist, too. Creativity is a large part of enjoying being in the kitchen. Will make spinach frittata in the morning-a new recipe to try. Wish my DH was onboard, but not so. Day 1 tomorrow.

Yes it is.  Married a Canadian.  He is the artist....me I finding my way..we are taking drawing classes and love the.

I just the Paleo Chocolate Chili -- It was DELISH.   

Spinach Frittata sounds good for breakfast.  My husband does breakfast in our house.  He has been making it forever and it turns out what he makes is WHOLE 30 compliant.

FYI, I tried practically every diet out there...but on a "bookstore" date with my husband (we love bookstores) the WHOLE 30 book was on display, and I took a copy upstairs to look at while we had cawfee (you can take the girl out of NY but you'll never take the NY out of the girl :D) -- we both looked at the book and found it very interesting and bought it.  we both read it and decided to start on Aug 13th.  We had a luncheon/theatre event on the 12th.  And here we are just finished DAY 9.

How did you end up doing the WHOLE 30???

Klassyart

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/30526-senior-optimist-prime

I'm new to the forum, but had to join you "older" folks! I've been reading the forum discussions looking for a group I could identify with. Im doing my first Whole30 and I'll just be wrapping up the reintroduction in time to celebrate my 60th birthday! When I first heard about Whole30 (and Paleo in general) I was very skeptical. How could legumes not be healthy?! I've been eating gluten free for 5 years, so had less resistance to giving up grains. But here I am on day 21 and I feel great! I do plan to keep eating this way long term, but am looking forward to a glass of wine with dinner!

I'm new to the forum, but had to join you "older" folks! I've been reading the forum discussions looking for a group I could identify with. Im doing my first Whole30 and I'll just be wrapping up the reintroduction in time to celebrate my 60th birthday! When I first heard about Whole30 (and Paleo in general) I was very eptical. How could legumes not be healthy?! I've been eating gluten free for 5 years, so had less resistance to giving up grains. But here I am on day 21 and I feel great! I do plan to keep eat this way long term, but am looking forward to a glass of wine with dinner!

Welcome. I will be 65 in Sept.

My husband and I love this program and will continue. It is day 13 today and we feel great

Learning new tricks is all part of the game. I was a professional chef and have been High Fat, Low Carb for a few years now. Having broken the sugar and grain cycle I was ready to try letting go of dairy, at least temporarily. I found the Whole 30 by exploring some paleo resources and now I'm on day 2. The morning coffee hump is so far the hardest part, but almond butter and coconut milk have eased my pain. Looking forward to learning and feeling many new things.

Welcome, Clotheshorse and Chef Mike. It's a "new world of food out there" when you change your thinking. I think part of this, at least for me, is being tired of being told what is best for me to eat and then 10 years later is discovered, hey, we were wrong about that. So, I decided to eat what made sense to me,(and with my doc's blessing, bless his heart) and Paleo made sense.

Now needing a reset, though and this is Day 5 and going strong, feeling better already. Except for yesterday when I had a headache but I attribute that to cataract surgery on Monday. The recipes abound and are delicious. Real food will begin to taste so good after eliminating all that other stuff. Last night I fixed NomNomPaleo's cracklings chicken and roasted potatoes with W30 ketchup and it was soon tasty! I can't wait to eat the leftovers for lunch.

Hey there, NY2LA2Montreal, when you post, a box is above that has the post you are replying to. When I post, it's like my first one and doesn't show who I'm responding to. How do you do that? - respond to a particular post?

Hi Klassy, when you read the post you want to reply to -- on the right you see a box that says "Like This" and below you see "Report, Multiquote and Quote"  If you click on "Quote" in the post you are reading, you will get a box with that post and space below to respond.  I hope I explained correctly.  Test it out on this post and I can respond -- JOB WELL DONE!!! :D

Hi folks,

I am on day 5 of my second W30. On the first go around, we had a solid support group, but after we finished, most people fell off the forum. Soooo, here I am--58 chronological age and happy to see other baby boomers getting healthier. I can't explain how much better I feel when I am on a real W30. I didn't have time before several eating events to do a proper reintroduction, so I am not sure what all the culprits are, but I plan to do a more thoughtful reintro this time. It's nice to see a artists of various types (I include Chef Mike as an artist).

Hi Klassy, when you read the post you want to reply to -- on the right you see a box that says "Like This" and below you see "Report, Multiquote and Quote"  If you click on "Quote" in the post you are reading, you will get a box with that post and space below to respond.  I hope I explained correctly.  Test it out on this post and I can respond -- JOB WELL DONE!!! :D

Thanks so much. Hope this works.

Hi folks,

I am on day 5 of my second W30. On the first go around, we had a solid support group, but after we finished, most people fell off the forum. Soooo, here I am--58 chronological age and happy to see other baby boomers getting healthier. I can't explain how much better I feel when I am on a real W30. I didn't have time before several eating events to do a proper reintroduction, so I am not sure what all the culprits are, but I plan to do a more thoughtful reintro this time. It's nice to see a artists of various types (I include Chef Mike as an artist).

Hi, Acha.

I'm on Day 5, too. I'm in my 70s but firmly believe it's never too late - for anything. I just scrubbed out my fridge and it looks so pretty with all the colorful fruit and veggies in there. Yesterday I rediscovered my Sodastream and am enjoying sparkling water once again. Don't know why I get out of these good habits.

It's really hard to explain what "feeling good" means, isn't it? Just so enjoyable to have the energy to finish a painting, clean the fridge and I even ironed this morning! Oh, my! The world is coming to an end!

You must have been a teacher. Excellent instructions. It worked.

Good morning everyone! I woke up this morning with the thought "All right! Let's go tackle something". A nice feeling indeed.

NY2LA2Montreal... or anyone... I still can't get the Quote thing to work. Is there a setting on my computer that's preventing it?

Klassyart.... You ironed? Come live with me please. I need you. :D

Anyone... Since klassyart re-discovered the Sodastream, it made me wonder.... does only water count as water? What about club soda, or copious amounts of tea? I think I need a hip holster for my water bottle. :)

Good morning everyone! I woke up this morning with the thought "All right! Let's go tackle something". A nice feeling indeed.

NY2LA2Montreal... or anyone... I still can't get the Quote thing to work. Is there a setting on my computer that's preventing it?

Klassyart.... You ironed? Come live with me please. I need you. :D

Anyone... Since klassyart re-discovered the Sodastream, it made me wonder.... does only water count as water? What about club soda, or copious amounts of tea? I think I need a hip holster for my water bottle. :)

The soda and tea count too, just don't rely on them for your in take - especially the soda as it can cause a lot of bloating.

For quoting - at the bottom of the post you'd like to quote there is a blue box which says 'like this' below that it says's 'quote' in black text - click on the word 'quote' a reply box will open up with the reply in it & a space below for you to click your cursor & start typing...

Hope this helps!

Mornin' everyone. Just read today's Daily Whole30 talking about sleep. I woke up at 6:15 but went back to sleep and it was 8:00 when my eyes opened up again (I'm retired, remember). They listed some things to help get a real good nights sleep and turning off all electronics an hour before going to bed. I always read an hour before going to bed, but I read on my iPad. And it's ten miles to the library. And I'm too cheap to buy books. And At the bottom of the list, it's go to bed early and get up at dawn. Im not a morning person. I'm whining, aren't I?

Hi all.

I'm part of the older generation--62; and my husband is 71. We've done two successful Whole30s (August 2012, Jan 2015) and are just cruising along trying to stay close to compliant, but not sweating the small stuff. We both feel great and neither are on any medications.

In April, we committed to following the Whole 9 guidelines for sleep, and I have to say it has been a life-changer for us. We sleep like the righteous every night.

I look forward to getting to know some of the other senior members here.

First week done! Woohoo!

Rewarded myself by going to an art gallery and then my art supply store. Whole Foods has arrived in town and I've never been to one, so I had a good time browsing there, too. Picked up some avocado oil and W30 approved, pretty pricey, bacon. But I love bacon, I think even more or at least equal to chocolate.

Haven't been exercising at all. And I set that as one of my goals. But during the month of September I registered for a local "Hiking Trail Marathon." We have the whole month to complete 26.2 miles of designated trails in the county. Hope I can do it.

A very good day. Hope it was the same for all of you.

Hi all.

I'm part of the older generation--62; and my husband is 71. We've done two successful Whole30s (August 2012, Jan 2015) and are just cruising along trying to stay close to compliant, but not sweating the small stuff. We both feel great and neither are on any medications.

In April, we committed to following the Whole 9 guidelines for sleep, and I have to say it has been a life-changer for us. We sleep like the righteous every night.

I just read about sleep yesterday. Last night I went to bed at 10:00 which is really early for me, and didn't get up until 7:00 but I hadn't slept straight through. Do you all sleep straight thru a whole 7-9 hours? I sure hope I'll be able to get there. How long did it take for this to happen?

Hi all.

Getting to know you :) .....  Hi Rebe, welcome.  I will be 65 years young next month and my husband MR STUDIO CITY will be 62 (I say I am a cougar in orthopedic shoes LOL) and we are enjoying the WHOLE 30.  Day 16 and feeling great.  

Archived