Older generation, Paleo believer, Whole30 Newbie starting 8/22/15

klassyart

• Administrators

I still can't get the Quote thing to work. Is there a setting on my computer that's preventing it?

When I was using internet explorer, the quote function did not work for me. I had to switch to Chrome. What browser are you using? Try Chrome or Safari or Firefox...anything other than IE.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks ladyshanny.... I will try Google Chrome.

Klassyart.... No way in heck am I giving up my e-reader, but I do follow all the other suggested sleep protocols and I now seldom have a bad night. My phone's little red light has black tape over it, my alarm clock is turned away from the bed (that was a hard one to get used to!), the printer is perpetually turned off. As for how long it took to happen.... it's a learning curve, for sure. Probably a good month, for me, but my sleep patterns were truly awful. Great idea, btw, of rewarding yourself with a visit to an art gallery!

Ny2LA2Montreal.... "cougar in orthopedic shoes".... :D

Ny2La2Montreal - loved your cougar comment! Hope you don't mind if I use it some time.

Sleep issues again. Couldn't get to sleep last night. Tossed and turned for two hours. I thought I'd go right to sleep after such a fun day. But was up at 7:00 anyway but had an idea.

Seafarer - I was at a total loss at first as to how to fill an hour before bedtime without my iPad or TV. My first thought was to do some Bible study. But would that stimulate the brain, too? Couldn't be much different from reading a book, could it? And much better for me. Then I thought of an appliqué quilt that's been put away in a drawer for years. I would love to finish it and it's very relaxing work to do and with my "new eyes" after cataract surgery, it will be a pleasure. So for the rest of the month I'm going to alternate nights between the two - Bible study and appliqué.

The most major decision about sleep that I had to make was to move into another bedroom. I have had 47 years of trying to sleep with my DH who snores like a dragon, hogs all the covers, and takes up more than his share of the bed. I did that a couple of months ago and thought I was in heaven sleeping mostly thru the night but my bedtimes were getting later and later because it was so nice to read without listening to his cacophony of noises. It was.a huge improvement but I'm now going to try these new guidelines and see how it goes.

Hi all.

I'm part of the older generation--62; and my husband is 71. We've done two successful Whole30s (August 2012, Jan 2015) and are just cruising along trying to stay close to compliant, but not sweating the small stuff. We both feel great and neither are on any medications.

In April, we committed to following the Whole 9 guidelines for sleep, and I have to say it has been a life-changer for us. We sleep like the righteous every night.

I look forward to getting to know some of the other senior members here.

I was so taken by your sleep success, I forgot to welcome you. So, Welcome! I'm almost 72 and have been on Paleo for two years but am in desperate need of a reset. That's why I found W30. We travel a lot and I thought I was doing OK but too many nuts, glasses of wine at dinner and even popcorn snuck back in on me. I'm sure the W30 protocol is easier for me to do than someone without that background but I still am challenged, especially the sugar. I love chocolate and am being very aware of that late afternoon desire for something sweet or expecting a sweet dessert after a meal. So far, so good. I actually ate a hardboiled egg at 4:30 yesterday and it worked!

So, I'm on Day 8 and feeling strong. Keep us posted as to how you're doing, good or bad.

About 8pm, all screens get turned off--Kindle reader with the back-lit screen is OK. We turn on classical music and read. I'm usually beginning to doze off before an hour is up. Since I get up at 4:30 most mornings, this is a good thing. We got out of the TV habit 20+ years ago when we cancelled cable. We watch some sports during football season, but usually can't sit through an entire game.

I need a clock in the bedroom, so I bought one with red numbers. I rarely wake up during the night, but if I do, I have to know what time it is or I won't go back to sleep.

My eating has drifted a little lately, and soon we will be without a kitchen for a few days while new cabinets and countertops are installed. Once that job is finished, I'll be ready to tackle another Whole 30.

Ny2La2Montreal - loved your cougar comment! Hope you don't mind if I use it some time.

Sleep issues again. Couldn't get to sleep last night. Tossed and turned for two hours. I thought I'd go right to sleep after such a fun day. But was up at 7:00 anyway but had an idea.

Seafarer - I was at a total loss at first as to how to fill an hour before bedtime without my iPad or TV. My first thought was to do some Bible study. But would that stimulate the brain, too? Couldn't be much different from reading a book, could it? And much better for me. Then I thought of an appliqué quilt that's been put away in a drawer for years. I would love to finish it and it's very relaxing work to do and with my "new eyes" after cataract surgery, it will be a pleasure. So for the rest of the month I'm going to alternate nights between the two - Bible study and appliqué.

The most major decision about sleep that I had to make was to move into another bedroom. I have had 47 years of trying to sleep with my DH who snores like a dragon, hogs all the covers, and takes up more than his share of the bed. I did that a couple of months ago and thought I was in heaven sleeping mostly thru the night but my bedtimes were getting later and later because it was so nice to read without listening to his cacophony of noises. It was.a huge improvement but I'm now going to try these new guidelines and see how it goes.

Feel free to use the "cougar in orthopedic shoes" any time. :D

Hi Rebe_J... My alarm clock has red numbers too, and I can definitely reach it if I wake up & want to know the time, but I keep it turned away from me so that even those red numbers don't share their light. You could try it & see what you think. When I said that was the part that was hard to get used to.... I got used to it just fine, but for my husband, who sleeps on the other side of the bed & can't reach the clock.... that's where the adjustment came in. LOL!

OK, on Day 8 I may have been going strong but this Day 10 is trying to do me in and I can't figure out why. Nothing sounds good to me except chocolate! So why am I having a craving? I know I didn't eat enough yesterday. Would that do it? What do you do when you have cravings? Right now I'm going into my art room and work and if that doesn't do it, I guess I'll have to break down and clean out a closet.

OK, on Day 8 I may have been going strong but this Day 10 is trying to do me in and I can't figure out why. Nothing sounds good to me except chocolate! So why am I having a craving? I know I didn't eat enough yesterday. Would that do it? What do you do when you have cravings? Right now I'm going into my art room and work and if that doesn't do it, I guess I'll have to break down and clean out a closet.

Day 10 is the most common day for people to quit so hang tough & keep going...

Fats & proteins are the only thing that will quash cravings - however a craving for chocolate is often indicative of a lack of magnesium. Are you taking a magnesium supplement? And yep, not eating enough will certainly set you up for more cravings...

Good work on the distraction technique - the craving is temporary and will pass, and then tomorrow you'll be on to day 11!

Day 10 is the most common day for people to quit so hang tough & keep going...

Fats & proteins are the only thing that will quash cravings - however a craving for chocolate is often indicative of a lack of magnesium. Are you taking a magnesium supplement? And yep, not eating enough will certainly set you up for more cravings...

Good work on the distraction technique - the craving is temporary and will pass, and then tomorrow you'll be on to day 11!

Thanks for the encouragement. I'll go to bed early for sure tonight. Not on a magnesium supplement. Will look into it but I'd rather get what I need from the foods I eat.

Thanks for the encouragement. I'll go to bed early for sure tonight. Not on a magnesium supplement. Will look into it but I'd rather get what I need from the foods I eat.

Pretty much everyone could do with a magnesium supplement these days due to modern farming techniques which deplete the levels of magnesium in our soil, as well as the levels of stress we deal with which deplete magnesium stores in our body.

There's not too many folk around these parts that don't take magnesium in some form or other.

I am turning 62 in October and started my first day of Whole 30 today, 8/31. My daughter requested the book as a gift and I was curious and downloaded the sample of "It starts with Food" on my Kindle. It was so interesting I bought the Kindle Version. For easier reference I have now ordered the hardcover copies but haven't received them yet. I have no experience with Paleo and this is my first time giving up dairy, grains, and sugars! Day one has gone fairly well. Missed cream in my coffee but sucked it up and got hungry in the afternoon so tomorrow I will eat a bigger lunch. Looking forward to improving my overall health.

I am turning 62 in October and started my first day of Whole 30 today, 8/31. My daughter requested the book as a gift and I was curious and downloaded the sample of "It starts with Food" on my Kindle. It was so interesting I bought the Kindle Version. For easier reference I have now ordered the hardcover copies but haven't received them yet. I have no experience with Paleo and this is my first time giving up dairy, grains, and sugars! Day one has gone fairly well. Missed cream in my coffee but sucked it up and got hungry in the afternoon so tomorrow I will eat a bigger lunch. Looking forward to improving my overall health.

Hi and welcome.

I will be 65 this month and today is DAY 20 for me and my husband and we are loving it. Like you we had no experience with Paleo, so it was a first time for us giving up dairy, grains, sugar and beans. The food you can have makes up for it. We haven't eaten this good in forever. The program makes you a cook/chef and it is fun, once you get going. Who'd a thunk I would be making my own mayo and ghee -- but here I am doing it.

My husband and I found the benefits early on -- his diabetic med we really reduced and my knees weren'the hurting so much. My husband will need a new belt soon and my face is thinner and my skin isn't so dry. But most of all-- I HAVE ENERGY I haven't had in a long time.

FYI We came upon the book on the sale rack and looked at it while having a coffee, it looked interesting,we bought and determined it it probably the most important purchase we made in a lonnnnnnnnnng time

Good luck! Keep me posted and know this forum is a great source of support

One more thing, you will see lots of us post daily logs of the food we eat - it keeps us honest

After reading thru some forums, I see the value of keeping a daily log. Even tho I think I'm doing it all right, I have a feeling I'm really not in some areas, like Fat. Does the template mean fat on top of what was used in the making? Is a thumb equal to 1-2 Tbsp? For every single meal? I sure haven't been doing that. I think I'm also heavy on the protein at the expense of the quantity of veggies which I have a hard time eating. But I'm listening to my body and it's feeling pretty good.

I have discovered that nuts, or the over indulgence of them, does a real number on me. I had gotten into a bad habit just picking up a handful of nuts or trail mix and my digestion wasn't liking it. For this W30 I decided not to eat any at all and my digestion has been much better.

After reading thru some forums, I see the value of keeping a daily log. Even tho I think I'm doing it all right, I have a feeling I'm really not in some areas, like Fat. Does the template mean fat on top of what was used in the making? Is a thumb equal to 1-2 Tbsp? For every single meal? I sure haven't been doing that. I think I'm also heavy on the protein at the expense of the quantity of veggies which I have a hard time eating. But I'm listening to my body and it's feeling pretty good.

I have discovered that nuts, or the over indulgence of them, does a real number on me. I had gotten into a bad habit just picking up a handful of nuts or trail mix and my digestion wasn't liking it. For this W30 I decided not to eat any at all and my digestion has been much better.

Hi Klassy,

I find the log very useful, it helps me also be aware of what and how much I am eating.. It's fairly simple and you will be happy you do it.  GOOD LUCK :D

I agree on the logs. NY2LA2Montreal suggested I post a log, and I added Water, Activity, Things Noticed to my log. While I thought I was 100% on point, there were things I noticed only after looking at my own log (go figure) and other tweaks that jmcbn suggested.... all of which I would have missed if I hadn't posted a log. So it not only keeps you honest, but it also helps you (and others) stand back at look at the overall pattern. It also helps you compare good days & bad days to see if there are similarities or differences.

BTW, on another topic.... I learned something today that maybe everyone else already knows, but that completely floored me. I was in a coffee/donut shop (Tim's, for you Canucks) and ordered Iced Black Coffee. A few questions later, I discovered that plain old iced black coffee is made with a sugar base, and unless you know that, and request that it be left out, you are going to get a sugar base in your coffee that you might not even know is there. Talk about Sneaky Sugars....  Good grief! I suppose iced tea is the same?

I agree on the logs. NY2LA2Montreal suggested I post a log, and I added Water, Activity, Things Noticed to my log. While I thought I was 100% on point, there were things I noticed only after looking at my own log (go figure) and other tweaks that jmcbn suggested.... all of which I would have missed if I hadn't posted a log. So it not only keeps you honest, but it also helps you (and others) stand back at look at the overall pattern. It also helps you compare good days & bad days to see if there are similarities or differences.

BTW, on another topic.... I learned something today that maybe everyone else already knows, but that completely floored me. I was in a coffee/donut shop (Tim's, for you Canucks) and ordered Iced Black Coffee. A few questions later, I discovered that plain old iced black coffee is made with a sugar base, and unless you know that, and request that it be left out, you are going to get a sugar base in your coffee that you might not even know is there. Talk about Sneaky Sugars....  Good grief! I suppose iced tea is the same?

I found that out before the Whole 30 and was not happy -- especially when you think you are grating a plain iced

Coffee

THe oil you use for cooking is pretty much negliible as most of it stays in the pan. I'd always add an additional fat source to each meal - even with eggs, where there is fat in the yolk. Really, it's hard to go over-board - a dollop of mayo, a handful of olives, an extra drizzle of oil over a salad.... As a guide protein probably takes up aboout a third of my plate, I fill the remainder with veggies ( and I mean FILL!), then add fat on top of that.

Hope this helps.

OK, folks, I'm a total failure at this mayo thing. My first batch worked using grape seed oil (which consensus is, you're not supposed to use because it doesn't work) and lime juice. My second batch I used 1 cup avocado oil and half cup EVOO and lime juice. Didn't work at all. Tried fixing it adding another egg yolk and 1T apple cider vinegar. No go. Today I tried 1.25 c. Light tasting olive oil and lemon juice. Each time I also had half tsp. salt and dry mustard and all ingredients at room temperature. Still no go. Tried fixing it, too but that didn't work. Using a stick blender in a mason jar.

So WHAT AM I DOING WRoNG?! The mayo gods are laughing at me, aren't they?!

OK, folks, I'm a total failure at this mayo thing. My first batch worked using grape seed oil (which consensus is, you're not supposed to use because it doesn't work) and lime juice. My second batch I used 1 cup avocado oil and half cup EVOO and lime juice. Didn't work at all. Tried fixing it adding another egg yolk and 1T apple cider vinegar. No go. Today I tried 1.25 c. Light tasting olive oil and lemon juice. Each time I also had half tsp. salt and dry mustard and all ingredients at room temperature. Still no go. Tried fixing it, too but that didn't work. Using a stick blender in a mason jar.

So WHAT AM I DOING WRoNG?! The mayo gods are laughing at me, aren't they?!

Here's my 99.9% failure-free method and I make one batch every week:

Allow 2 eggs to come to room temperature. Use one whole egg and one yolk; place them in jar or large measuring cup.

Add 1½  tablespoons acid. (I prefer white Balsamic vinegar, but use what you like; 1 tablespoon per egg)

Add ½ teaspoon each of salt and ground mustard.

Let it sit 15 minutes.

Pour in 1 1/4 cup oil. (I use about half avocado and half light olive oil.)

Insert stick blender and blend on low, pulsing off/on. As it begins to emulsify, hold the button on, and slowly move the blender up and down.

If it doesn't get thick enough, slowly add more oil.

I will try to post my video shortly.

https://youtu.be/znxIwnbHFSQ

I'm someone who never admits her age, because I don't want to be put in an "age box". That said (here we're among friends, right?) I will be 65 in February.

I've been gluten free for two years, but I LOVE dairy. My new PCP suggested Whole30 as a cleanse. I am not a "believer" but I am an experimenter, so here I am at day 4. I feel fuzzy headed and headachy and my tinnitus is louder than ever. I'm not hungry, but I'm far from excited about eating so much animal protein. Still, I figure I can do anything for 30 days. I'm glad so many other baby boomers are in this!

Welcome. Abbyknitz! Coming from a Paleo background, I didn't experience a lot of what total Newbies do, so I sympathize, but also encourage your great attitude that truly you can do anything for 30 days. I'm on Day 13 and this forum has been very helpful to me and, for sure, you are among similar-aged friends! Only I seem to be the oldest at nearly 72 and I'm slowly learning to say that with pride.

I just found out about Whole30 last night and I haven't started yet.  I'm going to be 60 in November but I feel older!  With fibromyalgia, very heavy sugar diet, and very little exercise, I'm just not okay with what I'm doing to my health.  I have been off sugar a few times for weeks at a time and it's remarkable how quickly I feel better.  And once I'm off for about a week, sugar doesn't even appeal to me.

I'm a little undecided about when to start.  Today is out.  I just had half a bag Reese's mini peanut butter cups.  Not as good as it sounds, by the way.  Should I set up a future date or just start tomorrow.  I may just stop sugar tomorrow and set a date next week to go the Whole30!

Thanks for reading this.

I just found out about Whole30 last night and I haven't started yet.  I'm going to be 60 in November but I feel older!  With fibromyalgia, very heavy sugar diet, and very little exercise, I'm just not okay with what I'm doing to my health.  I have been off sugar a few times for weeks at a time and it's remarkable how quickly I feel better.  And once I'm off for about a week, sugar doesn't even appeal to me.

I'm a little undecided about when to start.  Today is out.  I just had half a bag Reese's mini peanut butter cups.  Not as good as it sounds, by the way.  Should I set up a future date or just start tomorrow.  I may just stop sugar tomorrow and set a date next week to go the Whole30!

Thanks for reading this.

Welcome, Maggie Percy. My suggestion is to be sure and do your homework before setting a start date. I read everything on the W30 website, bought the book, cleaned out my pantry, informed DH of my intentions and finally went grocery shopping to be ready to start the next day. That made me comfortable with what I was about to do and now I'm on Day 13, nearly half done already.

This is a good place to come for help and encouragement, so good luck to you whenever you start.

Thanks for reading this.

Hi Maggie.Percy.....love the picture.  love the cat  --  I had a cat named Percy -- and a friend of mine has a cat named MAGGIE in honor of the character from CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF.....

Having said all of that -- WELCOME!!!!!!  Try the program, I feel great.  I realize you have FIBRO and that is very painful...but if you say you felt better when you did not have a sugar intake for periods of time...you got to try this.

I am what you would call a sugarholic -- since being on the program 22 days, I do not miss it.  The other night I felt hungry  (didn't eat enough during the day) and had a hard boiled egg --- not cookies or something worse as I would in the past.

Like Klassyart said.....DO YOUR HOMEWORK...read the book, really know what you are getting yourself into and then GO FOR IT.  Try it...you will like it.

And the forum full of us and the great moderators are all here to support you.

GOOD LUCK

Archived