Older generation, Paleo believer, Whole30 Newbie starting 8/22/15

klassyart

Uh oh, DH just informed me he invited the neighbors over for football watching tomorrow. I have tonight and two hours tomorrow to figure out what foods to have. I'm going on a hike in the morning and may be gone all morning. I have a couple pounds of chicken wings. I have a dish of sunshine sauce as a dip with carrots, jicama and celery but that's about it. I can do some burgers.

Anyone have suggestions that are quick and easy?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just found out about Whole30 last night and I haven't started yet.  I'm going to be 60 in November but I feel older!  With fibromyalgia, very heavy sugar diet, and very little exercise, I'm just not okay with what I'm doing to my health.  I have been off sugar a few times for weeks at a time and it's remarkable how quickly I feel better.  And once I'm off for about a week, sugar doesn't even appeal to me.

I'm a little undecided about when to start.  Today is out.  I just had half a bag Reese's mini peanut butter cups.  Not as good as it sounds, by the way.  Should I set up a future date or just start tomorrow.  I may just stop sugar tomorrow and set a date next week to go the Whole30!

Thanks for reading this.

You are brave to be here! I would encourage you ( as they do in the book) to pick a date and commit. Make your home and workplace Whole30 friendly. I am on day 5 and I just made the mayonnaise for the first time. I have to tell you that it is tastier than ice cream. And I make my own ice cream. Seriously. Yum. You can do it!

You'll have to move over, I'm going to be 74 this month. I am just finishing day 4. It was nice to find some older folks to exchange support and ideas with.

Welcome QuilterInVA! Tell us a bit about yourself. This is a great place for help, encouragement and spreading Good Food joy.

You are brave to be here! I would encourage you ( as they do in the book) to pick a date and commit. Make your home and workplace Whole30 friendly. I am on day 5 and I just made the mayonnaise for the first time. I have to tell you that it is tastier than ice cream. And I make my own ice cream. Seriously. Yum. You can do it!

I am sooo jealous! You made mayo - on the first try! Tomorrow will be my 4th, 5th, Gee, I've lost count but I'm going to lick this thing one of these days and find my magic combination.

Uh oh, DH just informed me he invited the neighbors over for football watching tomorrow. I have tonight and two hours tomorrow to figure out what foods to have. I'm going on a hike in the morning and may be gone all morning. I have a couple pounds of chicken wings. I have a dish of sunshine sauce as a dip with carrots, jicama and celery but that's about it. I can do some burgers.

Anyone have suggestions that are quick and easy?

There's a forum topic called "Quick Meal Ideas" under Whole30 Meal Planning that might be helpful. Good luck!

Good morning, ladies! I have more time now so I'll tell you a little about myself. I'm a widow and live with my deaf cat. I retired last year and have been busier than when I was working. I'm an avid reader and quilter and I occasionally teach quilting. I belong to 5 quilt bees so have lots of friends with the same interest and also belong to a knitting group. At the age of 67 I discovered the Y and have become a weekday presence. I do water aerobics 5 times a week, yoga 3 times and strength training 2 times. The mornings are pretty much taken over by seniors at the Y and we not only work out together but have become friends.

I am on day 5 of my Whole30 and loving it. My bloating is nearly gone, I have more energy and feel so much better. I have COPD and Hashimoto's Thyroiditis and I think this was of eating will help both. My husband was a chef and did all the cooking so when he passed away I hadn't much of a clue about cooking except heating in the microwave and opening prepackaged food. This week I've tried several new recipes and even made mayo (delicious) and I'm really getting into this cooking thing. I have ISWF, Whole30, Well Fed, and Well Fed 2 books and the recipes are easy enough for me and very tasty. I love the batch cooking in Well Fed and that's what I'll be doing tomorrow - batch cooking for next week.

Looking forward to getting to know all of you.

I'm an avid reader and quilter and I occasionally teach quilting. I belong to 5 quilt bees so have lots of friends with the same interest and also belong to a knitting group. At the age of 67 I discovered the Y and have become a weekday presence. I do water aerobics 5 times a week, yoga 3 times and strength training 2 times. 

Hi QuilterinVA - I was drawn to this thread due to your "name" on the header page, after you made the most recent post.  I am a quilter in OR - have a long arm quilting business.  Love working with quilters!  I'm on day 14 of my 1st ever Whole 30.  Haven't yet tackled the exercise hurdle, but I'm thinking it could happen any day!  Your post is motivating!

For all who have so generously given me encouragement to try, try, again, I can now report SUCCESS AT MAYO!! Woohoo!

I used Bertolli Extra Light olive oil, juice from half a lemon, 1/2 tsp dry mustard, 1/2 tsp salt and, per Ladyshanny's method, I dumped it all in a mason jar (all at room tem) and it worked !! Thank you, thank you all! I don't even like mayo but this is different. I even licked the spatula. If anything, it got too thick too quickly before all the oil was gone, but I'll take it and enjoy what for me, is a true victory.

Thanks to all for the menu suggestions for football get-togethers which we will have frequently in the coming months. I'm with NYC2LA2Montreal on how easy shopping is becoming. I have a freezer full of grass fed beef and I supplement with chicken and ground turkey from SAMs. Don't have a Costco close by. Still spending quite a bit of time looking for recipes but I love doing that and spending time in the kitchen. Tried the W30 pork chops and applesauce last night and that's a keeper. I'm striving for a months worth of menus of things I love to cook and eat and are W30. Having 4 children in 5 years made menu prep a must in order to survive and this would be the perfect time to start doing that again.

One more thing. W30 doesn't seem to talk much about exercise. What do any of you do for exercise? It wears me out reading about these Crossfit folks. If I tried to get fit like that, I'd be "cross" too. :). I'm happy with walking. How about you?

I'm 74 and I do water aerobics, yoga, and strength training. Walking is good cardio exercise but as we age we lose muscle so we also need some weights. It can be as simple as getting an exercise band and using it while you watch tv. I never stepped foot in the gym until I was 67 years old and the doc said I had to. Now I love it and hate to miss any classes. The Y has SilverSneakers classes and some insurances also pay for your membership. I have Humana and they pay to keep me healthy as well as when I'm sick.

I'm 74 and I do water aerobics, yoga, and strength training. Walking is good cardio exercise but as we age we lose muscle so we also need some weights. It can be as simple as getting an exercise band and using it while you watch tv. I never stepped foot in the gym until I was 67 years old and the doc said I had to. Now I love it and hate to miss any classes. The Y has SilverSneakers classes and some insurances also pay for your membership. I have Humana and they pay to keep me healthy as well as when I'm sick.

You have become a Y-Rat! Good for you! I realize that I'm very quickly losing muscle tone and strength and need weight training. I did the gym thing a few years ago but it's pretty costly money wise. I no longer equate money with health, though. Health is far more dear. I do have an option for classes and will start on Monday. Always before if I exercised before 10:00 it made me nauseous. It will be interesting to see if that happens now. The classes are at 8:00 AM. I'm betting it will work out fine!

It's been pretty quiet around here lately... How are you guys doing? Rebe? Abbyknitz? QuilterInVA? NYC2LA2Montreal has graduated! Yay for her and Mr.StudioCity! We may be older, but we are open to learning new things, especially better ways to take care of ourselves. It's never too late. In just 24 days I've learned to love mayo, tuna fish and sweet potatoes. I've also learned that my system doesn't like Brussels sprouts or cauliflower. What have you learned lately?

I've learned that I love veggies for breakfast. This morning I had left over Zucchini and Yellow Squash Noodles with my fried eggs on top. Yum! The other day it was spaghetti squash with meat sauce and a fried egg. I've learned that making mayo is very easy with an emersion blender and tastes so much better than the stuff from the grocery store (never buying that again). I'm on day 14. I'm off to the Y for water aerobics and yoga this morning. I love exercise. I think the tiger blood has kicked in big time for me. I have boundless energy where before I ate and then sat in the recliner thinking about what I should be doing until it was time to eat again and dragging through the day. I'm loving this way of eating.

Hello group! I "graduated" a day behind NY2LA2Montreal and Mr StudioCity, but decided to extend my W30 to a W44 (2 extra weeks) although I did post a status update at the 30 day mark. I have been slowly deleting all my e-mail feeds on nutritional information in favour of the information I am learning here. My biggest "aha" moment came when I was trying to figure out how to get that darned Lipton Dried Onion Soup Mix powder out of my husband's Must-Have-in-the-kitchen repertoire, when I realized I could dehydrate onions from my garden, and then powder them with our favourite herbs & spices. Viola! I am loving the forums simply because I learn so much, but also because I often have "aha" moments when I am puzzling over someone else's question. 

I recently found my Day 30 status update from the first time I did a W30, in 2013. Apparently I'm a slow learner :huh:  because I re-learned some of the things I should have retained from the first time around. Good grief. Why do habits shift like that? Anyway, I have started reading ISWF... it's pretty enlightening.

Yesterday morning I started to feel significantly better than even 2 days previously, which made me pretty happy on choosing to extend. By evening, however, I was physically sick, but instead of reaching for crackers, rice, and 7-up, I have been sinking into soups & vegetable souffles, ginger tea & bone broth, which is something I learned on my first W30. I guess I retained some of it. :D 

Hope everyone is having a good day. 

Hello group! I "graduated" a day behind NY2LA2Montreal and Mr StudioCity, but decided to extend my W30 to a W44 (2 extra weeks) although I did post a status update at the 30 day mark. I have been slowly deleting all my e-mail feeds on nutritional information in favour of the information I am learning here. My biggest "aha" moment came when I was trying to figure out how to get that darned Lipton Dried Onion Soup Mix powder out of my husband's Must-Have-in-the-kitchen repertoire, when I realized I could dehydrate onions from my garden, and then powder them with our favourite herbs & spices. Viola! I am loving the forums simply because I learn so much, but also because I often have "aha" moments when I am puzzling over someone else's question. 

I recently found my Day 30 status update from the first time I did a W30, in 2013. Apparently I'm a slow learner :huh:  because I re-learned some of the things I should have retained from the first time around. Good grief. Why do habits shift like that? Anyway, I have started reading ISWF... it's pretty enlightening.

Yesterday morning I started to feel significantly better than even 2 days previously, which made me pretty happy on choosing to extend. By evening, however, I was physically sick, but instead of reaching for crackers, rice, and 7-up, I have been sinking into soups & vegetable souffles, ginger tea & bone broth, which is something I learned on my first W30. I guess I retained some of it. :D 

Hope everyone is having a good day.

Way to go on finishing and continuing! Somehow I missed your Day 30 post.

When you dehydrate onions, doesn't it make your whole house smell oniony? I haven't done onions because of that and if I put the dehydrator in the garage, I'd probably forget about it.

I haven't read ISWF. Is it that different from W30 book?

A vegetable soufflé? Share more, please.

Way to go on finishing and continuing! Somehow I missed your Day 30 post.

When you dehydrate onions, doesn't it make your whole house smell oniony? I haven't done onions because of that and if I put the dehydrator in the garage, I'd probably forget about it.

I haven't read ISWF. Is it that different from W30 book?

A vegetable soufflé? Share more, please.

Thanks Kissyart! 

Dehydrating onions... yup! It sure does smell onion-y. But then dill smells dill-y and basil smells basil-y. Kale is pretty subdued, thank goodness. In fact, the basil made my eyes water.  :) It only lasts a day and I can always open windows or turn on the air exchanger &/or the kitchen fan. And you are right... if I put mine in the garage, I'd forget about it too.

I am just starting ISIF... it's science-y, and totally fascinating. I will probably read it in bits - like a good coffee table book. I have the W30 book, but haven't really delved into it yet. My expectation is that it's a compilation of the wisdom & tips & recipes that are found on the forum, as well as some of the articles on the W30 website. I can give you the chapter headings, if you like. Basically, ISIF if "why" and Whole30 is "how".

The vegetable souffle thing started when I canned some carrots last year, in an attempt to preserve an abundant carrot harvest beyond the usual Feb-and-they're-limp date. I subsequently discovered I really dislike canned carrots.  :wacko: Many people are in the same boat, as I discovered when I googled "Is there anything edible I can make with canned carrots?"  :D It was very funny to read the posts, as most of the cans seemed to have come from husbands who had "helped" their wives with the grocery shopping. Truly funny. And many of the canned carrots were being used for dog food. This is what I eventually came up with:

Grease a small casserole dish with ghee (or clarified butter or coconut oil)

Dump in a one-quart jar of canned carrots (pumpkin & squash work too)

Add 4 - 6 eggs

Add 4 or 5 large spoonfuls of coconut cream

Add pepper & powdered ginger to taste. That's about 1/2 tsp pepper and 1.5 tsp ginger, for me, but I'm sure other spice combinations would work well too.

Blend with an immersion blender.

Bake at 400F for 45 - 50 minutes

I put a cover on the casserole dish so it doesn't dry out, but if you like a drier mouth-feel, leave the cover off. Enjoy!

I currently have 'flu, and this has given me my meal template in a way that is easy on my poor digestive system. And I have upped the ginger while I am feeling yucky.

Thank you so much! And I hope you feel better soon.

I'm going to roast a bunch of carrots and see if that will work. I still haven't found enough ways to enjoy veggies and this may work.

You sound like you're pretty much tied to land with a big garden so where did "Seafarer" come from?

Good Morning, all.

I have been away from the forum and--sadly--a bit away from W30-ish eating. (Not currently doing W30, but following the meal templates most of the time.)

The upside: I have a new kitchen (cabinets and counter tops). Next will be floors, paint and refrigerator, but first I need a short pause.

Now I'm in the process of restocking and organizing and getting back on plan. Today will be my big cook-up day and I have a long list. Thank goodness for the pressure cooker. The weather is unseasonable cool, so using the oven most of the day won't be a problem.

That vegetable souffle sounds good...and simple.

I'm another Y rat. I am 69 and starting my 4th W30. It will probably be a W90 this time.  I joined the Y during my first W30 and

don't regret it.  I go 3 days a week for weight training and 3 days a week starting two weeks ago for  a couch to 5k class. If I can start running at this age anyone can.  Since starting in June I don't have any cravings and mostly eat the same breakfast every day.  I love

this way of life and wish it was around 40yrs ago. Giving up milk and sugar in my coffee was probably the hardest for me. I've used

sweet&low since it came out and always used it in my coffee or tea. Now nothing. I use to have heartburn every couple of days and

now not one episode. W30 is my life now. 

Archived