Older generation, Paleo believer, Whole30 Newbie starting 8/22/15

klassyart

Thank you so much! And I hope you feel better soon.

I'm going to roast a bunch of carrots and see if that will work. I still haven't found enough ways to enjoy veggies and this may work.

You sound like you're pretty much tied to land with a big garden so where did "Seafarer" come from?

LOL! Yeah, I'd have been a good back-to-the-lander, that's for sure. I live in Nova Scotia, where you are never further than 55 miles away from the sea... most of my ancestors were seafaring folk... some of them actually grew up on board the old clipper ships. But mostly it's because this is a nautical place.

Let us know how this turns out with roasted vegs! I made Melissa Joulwan's Belly Dance Beet Salad, which starts with roasted beets. What an eyeopener! YUM! My other new fav recipes, for veg, also come from Melissa Joulwan's site. Silky Gingered Zucchini Soup, and Golden Cauliflower Soup. Right now I am keeping one or the other in the fridge for hasty meals, or comfort food.

Thanks for the get well wish! I am hoping for "soon" too.  ;)

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm another Y rat. I am 69 and starting my 4th W30. It will probably be a W90 this time.  I joined the Y during my first W30 and

don't regret it.  I go 3 days a week for weight training and 3 days a week starting two weeks ago for  a couch to 5k class. If I can start running at this age anyone can.  Since starting in June I don't have any cravings and mostly eat the same breakfast every day.  I love

this way of life and wish it was around 40yrs ago. Giving up milk and sugar in my coffee was probably the hardest for me. I've used

sweet&low since it came out and always used it in my coffee or tea. Now nothing. I use to have heartburn every couple of days and

now not one episode. W30 is my life now.

I am totally impressed with you and QuilterInVA and your exercise regime! What an inspiration. Thank you. I started on weights yesterday here at home. If I don't keep it up, I'll go take a class. I thought it would be a piece of cake but didn't realize how much strength I've lost these last couple of years.

I'm another Y rat. I am 69 and starting my 4th W30. It will probably be a W90 this time.  I joined the Y during my first W30 and

don't regret it.  I go 3 days a week for weight training and 3 days a week starting two weeks ago for  a couch to 5k class. If I can start running at this age anyone can.  Since starting in June I don't have any cravings and mostly eat the same breakfast every day.  I love

this way of life and wish it was around 40yrs ago. Giving up milk and sugar in my coffee was probably the hardest for me. I've used

sweet&low since it came out and always used it in my coffee or tea. Now nothing. I use to have heartburn every couple of days and

now not one episode. W30 is my life now. 

Welcome, lostincolo! It nice to have another Y rat around. You are certainly doing all you can to be healthy. My goal is to live to be 100 in good health, not in a nursing home.

I cannot stress enough the need for all seniors to do some form of cardio and strength training. It doesn't have to be at the gym, you can do it at home. As we age the first thing to go is our balance. Can you stand on one leg for 10 seconds? Sounds like a piece of cake but many can't do it. Practice doing it while you are brushing your teeth or washing dishes. You have the counter/sink right there you can grab if you waver. We also lose muscle and remember you heart is the largest muscle in your body. I you don't have weights, you can start with cans of food from the pantry. You can get exercise bands cheaply, less than $10 for a set. The internet is full of free exercise routines. It's so important to keep moving and doing.

Yesterday was another good day. Fall weather is almost here and the temperatures are only in the 70s during the day and my thoughts are going to making some soup. I'm going to get 2 made this weekend, the ones Seafarer mentioned. They sound so good and would good with a quick breakfast before I head out for the Y.

Seafarer, I live on the VA peninsula at the joining of the Chesapeake Bay to the Atlantic Ocean. I have the York River on the left and the James on the right so water all around and never more than 10 miles. Only problem iwith that, lots of flooding everytime we have a big rain storm or hurricane. I love the water and all the fresh seafood I can get right off the boats. Yum!

Have a wonderful day.

I cannot stress enough the need for all seniors to do some form of cardio and strength training. It doesn't have to be at the gym, you can do it at home. As we age the first thing to go is our balance. Can you stand on one leg for 10 seconds? Sounds like a piece of cake but many can't do it. Practice doing it while you are brushing your teeth or washing dishes. You have the counter/sink right there you can grab if you waver. We also lose muscle and remember you heart is the largest muscle in your body. I you don't have weights, you can start with cans of food from the pantry. You can get exercise bands cheaply, less than $10 for a set. The internet is full of free exercise routines. It's so important to keep moving and doing.

This is so true...and thanks for the timely reminder. My balance is pretty good, but I do sit too much.  I have a kettlebell "studio" at home, but my 'bells have gotten dusty from non-use over the past few weeks.

KBs provide a great workout in a little bit of time, and they work the heart as well as other muscles. My setup cost much less than a year's membership at a gym, and it takes up a very small space, and is so convenient. No excuses!

I was supposed to hit the road for the farmers market 15 minutes ago but I got caught up in reading this great thread. At 63, my only regret ( well maybe I have one or two more...) is that I didn't discover W30 sooner. But it's never too late. I started my second one on 9/14 and it's going just fine as I never really dropped the principles from last June. I decided to do another as I could feel some slippage into some old habits like regular wine with dinner and mindless eating. I love what this has done for my food awareness and want to keep it going.

The internet is full of free exercise routines. It's so important to keep moving and doing.

Seafarer, I live on the VA peninsula at the joining of the Chesapeake Bay to the Atlantic Ocean. I have the York River on the left and the James on the right so water all around and never more than 10 miles. Only problem iwith that, lots of flooding everytime we have a big rain storm or hurricane. I love the water and all the fresh seafood I can get right off the boats. Yum!

Living near the sea, with access to truly fresh seafood, kind of spoils you for the good stuff, doesn't it?  :)

I found a good "walk with me" site on the internet, but I'd be interested in any exercise sites that you would recommend. ??

Archived