Palm fruit oil and cross-contaminations

Lissa Kristine

I was looking at ideas for portable snack and meal additions, and I thought about the Justin's Classic Almond butter packets (which I can pair with some fruit in a pinch). The ingredients are almonds and palm fruit oil (the almond butter I have at home is just almonds and MAYBE salt, so I know that's ok).

Is Palm fruit oil ok? 

Also, the label on the Justin's Almond butter says it may have come in contact with other nuts and legumes including peanuts. Does this potential of cross-contamination make it a dealbreaker or no?

• Administrators

Palm fruit oil is fine, palm KERNEL oil is not. And no, cross contamination "potential" doesn't cause non compliance.

Now......do be advised that we do not recommend fruit and nuts/nut butter as a snack. While it is technically compliant, you would be better off having protein and fat as it is more satiating than fruits are. And.....if you are eating large enough meals (that get you 4-5 hours), hopefully you would not need to be snacking. Let me know if you want more information on that?

I am not a big snacker (even now when I'm NOT on Whole30). I am, however, trying to be as prepared as possible. Sometimes, I have to go run errands after church and my lunch is delayed a few hours. Then there are nights, like Wednesday, where I eat dinner AFTER church. With lunch between 12 and 3, and dinner at 9, a little emergency snack will be good (especially on days when I eat lunch earlier). I just figured those packets of almond butter are portable, and I can keep them in my car or purse JUST in case. 

Or, if I have a last-minute babysitting job, I can throw together a quick meal of steamed frozen vegetables, some protein source (probably chicken apple sausages if I have time to go to the store), and an apple with the almond butter. I can't always rely on olive or coconut oil at the houses I babysit at, so at least I'll have something on-hand for a little fat. Not ideal, I know, but it's something, right?

I am not a big snacker (even now when I'm NOT on Whole30). I am, however, trying to be as prepared as possible. Sometimes, I have to go run errands after church and my lunch is delayed a few hours. Then there are nights, like Wednesday, where I eat dinner AFTER church. With lunch between 12 and 3, and dinner at 9, a little emergency snack will be good (especially on days when I eat lunch earlier). I just figured those packets of almond butter are portable, and I can keep them in my car or purse JUST in case. 

Or, if I have a last-minute babysitting job, I can throw together a quick meal of steamed frozen vegetables, some protein source (probably chicken apple sausages if I have time to go to the store), and an apple with the almond butter. I can't always rely on olive or coconut oil at the houses I babysit at, so at least I'll have something on-hand for a little fat. Not ideal, I know, but it's something, right?

Nuts/nut butters are notoriously hard on the digestive system, can cause skin out-breaks, can be FWOB for a lot of people, and are a poor source of fat due to it's omega 3:6 ratio.

Vacuum packed pouches of olives would be a better option if you're a fan. 

Archived