Restarting after only completing 3.5 days

squogg

I was doing so well. But I failed already. It's so frustrating, but I'm back on my game again this morning.

I went to a friend's house that I almost always drink at last night. I knew it would be hard, but I was able to turn down alcohol. Even as he grabbed a second shot glass, I continued to tell him that I didn't want it. He even poured liquor into the second shot glass while looking at me like I was crazy. I told him that I'm not drinking for 30 days and that I seriously didn't want a drink. It was hard, but eventually he drank both shots.

Whew! Battle one down... and then I lost.

We went out to watch a show for a couple hours. Afterwards, he asked if I was hungry. Crap! The only part of the book I hadn't read through thoroughly. I told him I wasn't really hungry, but we ended up going out to eat anyways because he was starved. I looked through the menu at Olive Garden and felt hopeless. I threw my hands up and picked something off the "healthy" menu. There were so many modifications I would've had to make to the healthy menu that I just wasn't ready to tackle that yet.

I know I only had 3.5 days under my belt, but I thought I was rockin it. *sigh*

Anyways, cheers to restarting on day 1. I'm going to do the best I can to conquer eating out since I know I will face this problem again.

I had a similar experience last night. I am on day 3, and a friend gave a dinner for me and another friend. I had told her I am not eating grains, dairy, sugar or legumes. She served wine, a cheese appetizer ( I LOVE cheese) quinoa with vegetables mixed in, (only whole 30, considers it a grain) salmon, spinach Salad with pralines, and flourless chocolate cake for dessert. (She said she didn't hear the sugar omit)

So I had some nuts as an appetizer (she offered them instead of the cheese) the salmon and spinach salad after picking out the pralines, about two bites of the quinoa with tomato & broccoli , and she offered watermelon for dessert which I took, and only water to drink.

Technically I missed the boat due to the quinoa, but considering the options and not wanting to be the guest from hell, I made the best choices I could. It was hard, since the dinner was for me. But we all have roll with the punches! Good luck in your new beginning!

I had a similar experience last night. I am on day 3, and a friend gave a dinner for me and another friend. I had told her I am not eating grains, dairy, sugar or legumes. She served wine, a cheese appetizer ( I LOVE cheese) quinoa with vegetables mixed in, (only whole 30, considers it a grain)

Actually, the Whole Grains Council considers quinoa a grain. http://wholegrainscouncil.org/whole-grains-101/definition-of-whole-grains

Consider extending your Whole30, to give yourself 30 consecutive grain-free days.

I like Cajun Gypsy's solution! Much easier, plus nobody goes to extra effort only to find out they missed something & you can't eat it anyway. If you can kinda match the meal... bonus!

Congrats, Squogg, on your re-start. I am looking forward to your answer(s) to GFChris's question.... purely selfish of course, since I know it will help me too. :)

I am also restarting.  We attended dinner party on Day 6 and going in to it I thought I'd be able to make some good choices - but there was nothing I could do.  Opted to eat what was served and just go ahead and start over.  Even ate dessert.  Although quantity-wise I ate a small meal.

The amazing thing to me was:  I could feel the effect on the way home.  I began to get a bit headache-y.  Had an uncomfortable stomach as I got in to bed and didn't sleep as well as I had been.

I am even more committed now as I begin again. 

Archived