Scared of eating too much food

Iso-bel

Hello everyone,

I am quite new here and currently finishing day 5 of Whole30. I am eating 3 meals a day, I follow the meal template, I do not snack at all and I usually have fruit with the meal 1 and 2, not with the last one. So I KNOW I am okay, I am eating as I should even though it is kind of hard for me to get my protein in as I was vegetarian for 7 years and then I ate meat only like once a week or less. But I am doing my best and I do eat meat or eggs with all my meals. I want to make the Whole30 as it was originally planned and not following the vegetarian/vegan recommendations because I am just one stubborn child.

My problem is that I am terrified that I will put on weight. I used to calculate my calories to the dot for a very long period of time. Since I started Whole30 I haven't done it but I feel like I am eating too much. This is such a mental challenge for me, is there anyone with the same feelings? I am rereading the book with the info several times a day just to reassure my brain that it is okay to eat the amount I eat. Oh god even reading this back feels like I am really stupid..I would be grateful for any kind of advise.

It sounds like Whole30 is quite a departure from how you had been eating, so it's understandable you'll have some concerns.

Are your meals satiating you for 4-5 hours?

If you'd like to post 2-3 days worth of your food and fluids log, including portion sizes, we can see if you're on the right track.

• Moderators

You're definitely not stupid. Most of us come here from a background of calorie counting, or low-fat, low-carb, low-whatever diets, and this is very, very different. When I have moments of thinking that I cannot possibly eat this way and lose weight, I try to remember that where other diets I've tried seemed to be about restricting things and forcing my body to do what I wanted it to do, Whole30 is more about nourishing your body and giving it what it needs to function well and letting it do what is natural for it. Our bodies were designed to function well and be healthy, if we just give them what they need to let them do that.

The reality is, we cannot guarantee that you won't gain a little weight at some point in your Whole30. That is one reason why the rules say not to weigh yourself. Weight can fluctuate a lot, even over the course of one day, much less over a month. The good news is, whether you gain weight or lose weight or stay exactly the same, eating this way will make you healthier, and in the end, healthy is more important than skinny. There's also the possibility that you'll get to the end of your Whole30 and find that you feel great, and your clothes fit better, but then on day 31 you step on the scale and it's gone up or stayed the same. People who have come here on day 30 raving about how they feel better than they've felt in years and are wearing clothes they couldn't get into at the start of the month, come back on day 31 feeling like a failure because of the number on the scale. That number can't tell you whether you're truly healthy or not. It really doesn't tell you anything very helpful. It's a measure of your relationship with gravity, and that's it.

You might want to read this article about the kinds of things to focus on instead of weight. 

Thank you both very much for your answears and thank you Shannon for the link I'll check it out. I haven't stepped on a scale for several years now as I do not care about the number but how I look. My 3 meals a day are absolutely fine for me and they keep me satisfied for 4-5 hours, I do not have any cravings. I do run 3-4 times a week and I also do weight trainings, circuit trainings etc. The thing is before whole30 I had my amount of calories calculated to lose 0.5 kg a week and I was loosing the weight without a problem. Now I need to lose few more kgs but my worry is I won't. But as you said, I should really focus on the fact that my body will be healthy no matter how many kgs I have. I just have to ditch that fear somehow. Thank you very much for the support!

• Moderators

Just as a reference, I have always been a big portion eater. I can put away some food. Even I had a little trouble finishing some of my meals during my Whole30, and I still lost a little weight. As noted above, the number on the scale really truly means NOTHING. Going down a clothing size is far superior. And better health is leaps and bounds above that.

Archived