Foods you used to hate

So, I was wondering: are there any foods that you use to hate that are now a staple in your diet due to the Whole30? 

I'm ask because I was on instagram the other day scrolling through photos on the official Whole30 page, and I came across a curry chicken salad recipe (similar to one a friend demoed in his show). I was intrigued, and I put it on my list of "recipes to try."

I don't like mayo (though I hear homemade is different than the fluffy white stuff, so I may give it another try), and I definitely don't like chicken salad. It's a texture thing. I had a sandwich once that came with a thick, mayo-based sauce. I loved the sandwich- until they put way too much sauce. After that- NOPE. 

Of course, I also disliked all things coconut, but I felt like I HAD to try coconut oil when I attempted (with no success) a Whole30 in 2012. Now, I can't get enough coconut oil, and I'm warming up to other uses of coconut as well. 

What about you?

• Administrators

Olives, shellfish, mango.  HATED those things before.  They are now very welcome additions to any meal.  I think once my taste buds normalized I was able to properly assess the flavour/texture.  I also absolutely loathed celery....which I still don't love but I will put it in an egg or chicken salad for texture and not gag on it.  :)

Mayo - I was really never a fan. Oh, and brussels sprouts. I HATED them since I was a child. I'd tried them various ways through the year and they always made me gag. Then I tried roasting them in bacon fat and getting them very dark and sweet - nirvana! I eat them at least 1-2x a week now.

I used to hate coconut -- I think my aversion was based on the dried stuff you find on top of cakes and mixed in with chocolates. Now I use coconut oil and coconut milk all the time, and I have even put the flakes in recipes.

But I still can't stomach eggplant. it's a texture thing.  

I'm a new mayo lover too! I never touched it before, but I look for excuses to eat the homemade stuff (seriously, I plan meals around it!).

The other thing I would never eat before that I eat daily now is eggs over easy. Never could handle the runny yolks, but put a few of those bad boys over a bed of fresh spinach or spinach/kale, and let the yolks run over them and coat them like the most delicious warm dressing... Yum-o! That, along with sweet potatoes and half an avocado has been breakfast almost every morning since February.

I really hope I start liking the homemade mayo, too.

I can't say I have any foods I used to hate that i like now because I never really hated any food before that's a part of Whole30. I do hope I start liking butternut squash.

Oh, and brussels sprouts. I HATED them since I was a child. I'd tried them various ways through the year and they always made me gag. Then I tried roasting them in bacon fat and getting them very dark and sweet - nirvana! I eat them at least 1-2x a week now.

Yes! It's all in how they're prepared. I roast a large pan of B.sprouts with bacon (and sometimes sliced onion) every week. I top them with fried eggs at breakfast several days a week.

Pickles! I love them now. I found a compliant kind at trader joes and they are long thin slices. I love eating a few with meals for something salty and crunchy. Also flavored sparkling water I used to hate it now I find it pretty good. As well as burgers, somehow now that they have no bun they have become 100 times more appealing to me. Eating meat in general has become much more appealing to me. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived