I need help :(

EliMak79

Okay, so I'm very new to this ... Just learned about W30 on Sunday and started on Tuesday with the Challenge. I'm looking at the posts to seek clarification but I cant seem to find it anywhere :( So I have a few questions, wondering if someone would be able to help me ...

1. I typically eat breakfast, then about 30 minutes later head to the gym. I've been working out (lifting and cardio) for about 1.5 to 2 hours a few times a week. I had no idea what to eat after my workout, so I just had some hardboiled eggs at 11:30 or so and plan on eating lunch at 12:30 .. is that okay or should I also eat something else after my workout? Its not very easy for me to make a sweet potato and eat that after a workout, are there any other options?

2. I know you can eat fruit, I have the list of W30 approved foods and the shopping list, but is there a limit to how much fruit you can have during a day? I was told that I should cut back and only eat them like every other day but I dont see it anywhere in the site or on the forums ... Any help??!!

Thanks so much for your answers ... I hope :)

Hi Eli! Welcome!! That's what we're here for!

1) what you're doing is fine if it works for you. If you're packing your lunch, you could include some already cooked sweet potatoes in your bag for post workout. Alternatively, some compliant baby food would be great too

2) the fruit recommendations are generally 2-3 servings a day. More in the summer, less in the winter.

elimak79 - Good luck on your very first Whole30!

I see you just learned about the Whole30. Do the best you can with it and don't get too overwhelmed. I prepared for a couple of weeks before my first one and still got confused a bit here and there. The good thing is you can always restart if you find you inadvertently ate something off limits. It happens to a lot of us. Just add some days to the end and keep going. It's worth it. :)

The beauty of learning (even if it is after you ate it) that something is not compliant with the Whole30 guidelines is - NOW YOU KNOW! So that's one less potential slip another day. I love it each time I learn a new compliant choice to replace an old less healthy choice. They all add up over time to very significant changes that are sustainable just by changing the particular brand you purchase (like the basic marinara I now buy that has olive oil and no sugar instead of soybean or canola oil and sugar or corn syrup) or eliminating something like granola bars in favor of actual nuts and dried fruit (good to limit on a Whole30 but still nice whole food options compared to processed snacks). My family is not Paleo but they still benefit from all these little changes as we eliminate some really unhealthy foods from our home. They don't even notice I stopped buying some of them either. My goal is to buy the least processed food period whether it is for me or for them. The fewer ingredients the better and best is an item with no label at all because it is a whole food... :)

Enjoy the next 28 days!

Thanks y'all!! Very helpful information!

Renee .. I do not work at the moment (trying to find a job after being laid-off in January!) so I can cook at home its just that a SP each time after i workout might not be doable just because of having to buy tons of them! Are there any other options besides the SP that I can have after a workout?

jhmomi ... thanks for your kind words and helping! This is DEFINITELY a learning process!

FYI - You weren't asking me but I saw your question. I typically workout in the morning from 7am until 8:00 or 8:30. I eat one egg preworkout and three eggs after. Sometimes with veggies, sometimes not. I put coconut milk in my coffee too and have some preworkout, some during, and some after (I really like coffee). I am generally fine and have plenty of energy with eating breakfast at 8:30 and lunch between 12:30 and 1:30. At first my breakfast was two eggs and veggies. Now I need a heartier start to my day. I have some sweet potato and fruit puree (baby food pouches) for an occasional post workout carb that is fast and easy if I don't have some leftover veggies to grab at home. The pouches are a bit pricey for every day though. I eat plenty of veggies with lunch, dinner and snacks so I tend to not worry about them too terribly much in the morning.

• Moderators

You don't have to eat a carb-rich food after your workout and you might want to skip the carbs if you are trying to lose weight. The important thing after a workout is protein, and ideally lean protein because it digests faster and therefore your muscles get fed faster. Chicken breast, sardines or tuna packed in water, etc. are good post-workout protein choices.

Now don't take this to mean that you should be restricting calories during a Whole30. Trying to lose weight by keeping your calorie intake low often backfires. But you don't have to eat sweet potato, butternut squash, turnips, yucca, etc. if you don't want to.

The carbs are useful for keeping your energy levels up, so you might want to eat them if you find yourself tired too often.

Archived