Saree's Log

Saree_maree

Day 16

Sleep: I was in bed for 11 hours, but I had a very bad night (really terrible menstrual pain and heavy bleeding) and didn’t actually fall asleep and stay asleep until 2:30AM. Then I woke up at 7:30AM.

Meal 1 (8:00AM): 2 hard boiled egg yolks (saved the whites for post-workout), fist-sized baked sweet potato, half an avocado. 16oz black coffee.

Morning workout (9:30AM): 15 mile ride, easy pace (15mph, 1h total ride time). No fuel, 24oz water.

Post-workout (10:45AM): 2 hard boiled egg whites, small banana, 12oz home brewed kombucha

Meal 2 (12:45PM): chopped salad: 2-3 cups chopped raw veggies (tomatoes, carrots, celery, onion, bell peppers), handful of olives, half of a large can of salmon (bones & skin included), apple cider vinegar. 2 fresh figs. 12oz sparkling water.

Nap after lunch. Really needed it today.

Meal 3 (5:00PM): Palm-size baked chicken breast, baked sweet potato (2 fist size), half an avocado. 12oz sparkling water.

Evening workout (6:30PM): 3.5 mile run, easy pace (9:00/mile)

Post-workout (7:10PM): 12oz coconut water.

I always have terrible periods – I have uterine fibroids and endometrial polyps – but I choose not to take hormonal birth control for symptom management. Normally I can keep the pain under control with ibuprofen but after what happened last week I am trying to stay away from that drug as much as possible. Acetaminophen doesn’t touch this pain. So last night I just had to keep getting out of bed and lying on my back on the floor, which helps somewhat, and at one point I took a hot bath. But it made for a pretty sleepless night. Luckily after the first day or two I always feel much better.

My run tonight was just okay. I could definitely still feel something in my left leg, I wouldn’t really call it pain, more of a discomfort, but enough to know that it’s not 100% better. I kept the pace easy and my strides short and stretched/iced immediately after. Whether or not I’m limping at work tomorrow will be the real test, I guess.

Day 17

Sleep: 8 hours. Woke up at 4:30AM for work.

Mini-meal (5:00AM): 1 hard-boiled egg, half cup sauerkraut.

Meal 1 (8:45AM): 1 hard boiled egg, fist-sized baked sweet potato, half an avocado, small banana. 16oz black coffee.

Meal 2 (3:00PM - got super busy at work): chopped salad: 2-3 cups chopped raw veggies (tomatoes, carrots, celery, bell peppers), handful of olives, palm-size baked chicken breast, apple cider vinegar. 2 small kiwis. 12oz sparkling water.

Snack (5:00PM): A patient's family brought in a beautiful fruit platter and I ate waayyyyy too much fruit, like half a cup of grapes and probably 2 apples worth of apple slices. I feel pretty terrible about this actually because I have been really good about limiting fruit to 2 servings a day until now. On the plus side they also brought a giant cake and a box of assorted chocolates, and I didn't touch those, so at least there's that.

Meal 3 (8:00PM): Can of water packed sardines, half an avocado, handful of carrot and celery sticks. 12oz sparkling water. (Skipped my usual sweet potato to try to make up for the mini fruit binge.)

Logged 10,000 steps.

So obviously today was not a great food day, probably my worst one yet, and this just when "tiger blood" is supposed to be kicking in. I'm disappointed and ashamed of myself. Just glad I didn't eat anything non-compliant and don't have to start over. Hoping for a better tomorrow.

Day 18

Sleep: A little over 7 hours. Woke up at 4:15AM.

Meal 1 (4:30AM): 2 hard boiled egg yolks (saved the whites for post-workout), baked sweet potato (2 fists), half an avocado. 16oz black coffee plus 8oz water.

Workout (6:00AM): 10 mile run, easy pace (9:10/mile) followed by 12 mile ride, easy pace (15mph). 2h15min hours total workout time. In between the run and the ride I ate half of a banana and drank 12oz home brewed kombucha. I also drank a lot of water throughout.

Post-workout (8:45AM): 2 hard boiled egg whites

Meal 2 (12:45PM): 2 palms chicken breast, arugula and tomato salad dressed with EVOO and lemon juice (about two cups arugula and one whole tomato). 16oz sparkling water and 8oz decaf coffee.

Nap after lunch.

At 3:45 I felt hungry and dinner was still a ways off so I ate half a baked sweet potato, less than fist size. Probably I should have just eaten this post-workout.

Meal 3 (6:00PM): My boyfriend took me out to a nice restaurant on the water. I told the server I had dairy and soy allergies just to be sure nothing would be cooked in any non-compliant fat. I had grilled wild Atlantic salmon (2 palms), steamed broccoli with olive oil and lemon juice (at least a cup, maybe more), and a plain baked potato. The potato was enormous, I ate about half, so maybe a fist and half total. 24oz sparkling water.

Of note, I had some minor GI distress this morning which I am positive is the direct result of yesterday’s fructose overdose. I know from some previous carb-loading experiments prior to some races that I have a minor fructose intolerance, and apples are a pretty high fructose fruit.

But other than that, I am feeling great today! My leg was bothering me a little on my run but nothing intolerable. Moreover though I just feel really positive and energetic and happy about my food choices. Maybe the tiger blood is starting to kick in after all!

Day 19

Sleep: 8 hours. Woke up at 4:45AM for work.

Mini-meal (5:15AM): 1 hard boiled egg, half cup of sauerkraut. 8oz water.

Meal 1 (7:45AM): 1 hard boiled egg, fist-size baked sweet potato, half an avocado, small banana. 16oz black coffee.

Meal 2 (12:15PM): chopped salad: 2-3 cups chopped raw veggies (tomatoes, carrots, celery, bell peppers), handful of olives, palm-size baked chicken breast, apple cider vinegar. Half cup of melon. 12oz sparkling water.

Meal 3 (5:45PM – transferred out my patients and left work early): can of water-packed sardines, whole avocado, handful of celery sticks, baked sweet potato (1.5 fists). 12oz sparkling water.

Logged 11,500 steps.

Hoping to get cancelled tomorrow. Census in the unit has been low and we transferred out a bunch more today. Still feeling good and upbeat for the most part although I felt hungry again today. I thought I had gotten past that so it did bum me out a little, but I distracted myself through it – ran some errands on the way home from work, did some laundry, stuff like that. I did eat my dinner on the early side but that’s ok. If I get hungry again before bed I’ll have some more vegetables.

Day 20

Sleep: 8.5 hours. Woke up at 4:30AM for work … And I got cancelled! Decided to go for a short run since I was already up.

Pre-workout (5:15AM): 1 hard boiled egg, 8oz water.

Workout #1 (5:30AM): 4 mile negative-split run (10:00, 9:00, 8:15, 7:30/min miles). I think starting out really slow gave my leg a chance to warm up thoroughly, and I was able to finish fast with minimal pain. Stretched and iced immediately afterwards.

Post-workout (6:15AM): small banana, 8oz water

Meal 1 (7:15AM): 1 hard boiled egg, fist-sized baked sweet potato, half an avocado, half cup of sauerkraut. 12oz black coffee.

Workout #2 (9:00AM): 25 mile ride, very easy pace (14mph, riding with my slowpoke boyfriend haha). Total ride time 1h40min. Halfway through I had a compliant baby food pouch (banana-squash). Drank 12oz water.

Post-workout (11:00AM): 12oz home brewed kombucha

Meal 2 (12:00PM): chopped salad: 2-3 cups chopped raw veggies (tomatoes, carrots, celery, bell peppers), handful of olives, baked chicken breast (only 3/4 palm size, used up the last of that batch), apple cider vinegar. 12oz sparkling water.

Nap after lunch.

Snack (3:45PM): handful of carrot and celery sticks, 2 little kiwis. 12oz sparkling water.

Meal 3 (6:30PM): Grass-fed beef patty (2 palms), baby potatoes roasted in EVOO (about ¾ cup), green salad dressed with EVOO and balsamic vinegar. 24oz sparkling water.

Awesome day. My boyfriend took the day off to be with me when I told him I got cancelled. Nice run, leisurely ride in beautiful weather, delicious nap, yummy meals. And I have three more days off after this, too! Like a mini-vacation. Twelve hour shifts can be rough, especially since they usually end up being more like fourteen hours when all is said and done, but only having to go to work three times a week is a pretty sweet deal.

Day 21

Sleep: 9 hours. Woke up at 6:00AM.

Pre-workout (6:15AM): 1 hard boiled egg, 8oz water.

Morning workout (6:30AM): My plan for this morning was for a 4 mile run, easy, then a bike ride. But exactly the same thing happened as the last time I tried running the day after speed work – immediate sharp pain in my left leg and buttock that affected my form, making me unable to maintain my normal easy pace. So I only ran 2 miles, came home to stretch and ice, and delayed the ride until after Meal 1.

Meal 1 (7:00AM): 1 hard boiled egg, baked sweet potato (1.5 fists), half an avocado. 16oz black coffee.

Morning workout (cont.) (9:30AM): 17 mile ride, easy pace (15mph, total ride time 1h10min). No fuel, 24oz water.

Post-workout (11:00AM): small banana, 12oz home brewed kombucha

Meal 2 (12:45PM): chopped salad: 2-3 cups chopped raw veggies (tomatoes, carrots, celery, onions, bell peppers), handful of olives, can of water-packed sardines, apple cider vinegar. 2 fresh figs. 12oz sparkling water.

Nap after lunch (very short, interrupted by phone calls)

Afternoon workout (2:45PM): 10 minute warm-up walk/jog followed by 25 minutes strength training.

Meal 3 (6:00PM): 2 palms baked chicken breast, baked sweet potato (1.5 fists), about 1.5 cups roasted broccoli. 12oz sparkling water.

Seeing the orthopedist tomorrow. Hoping for a quick fix – steroid shot? – but fearing that’s unlikely. I don’t know if it’s my piriformis or my ITB or what, but I just want to run pain-free. I don’t mind missing the 5 and 10Ks I have coming up in the next few weeks, but I have a half in early November and then a full marathon in early 2016 and those events are both important to me. As of now I still have enough time to rest a few weeks and then get my training to where it needs to be (I’ve already done a couple of 14 milers this season and was doing some decent speed work before the pain set in), but it’s cutting it close.

Day 21 (cont.)

Its 8:15PM and I feel hungry ... I can't stand going to bed hungry so I'm eating a half cup of sauerkraut. Looking back at my day it seems like my dinner was probably light on fat which would explain my hunger, and I also didn't have anything post-workout for my afternoon session (although it wasn't particularly intense). But I don't know an easy fat to just eat except avocados, and they're so expensive I strictly ration those for the week! I have some walnuts but I know nuts are discouraged for eating by themselves, and olives, but I don't like to eat them alone because they are so strong-tasting. What I'd really like to eat is a banana, but I already had my two fruit servings today. So sauerkraut it is, and more attention to the template tomorrow.

Day 22

Sleep: 8.5 hours. Woke up at 6:00AM.

Meal 1 (7:00AM): 2 hard boiled egg yolks (saved the whites for post-workout), baked sweet potato (1.5 fists), half an avocado. 16oz black coffee.

Workout (8:15AM): 16 mile ride, moderate pace (16mph, total ride time 1h). No fuel. I had a bigger ride planned for this morning, like 25 miles, but the weather looked ominous and I didn’t want to push my luck and get caught in a downpour. Oh well, I’m already ahead for the week in terms of training hours thanks to the extra day off work I had on Monday.

Post-workout (9:30AM): 2 hard boiled egg whites, small banana, 8oz water

I had a second cup of coffee around 10, which is unusual for me, but I just felt like it today. Black. And then I felt REALLY wired.

Meal 2 (1:00PM): chopped salad: 2-3 cups chopped raw veggies (tomatoes, carrots, celery, bell peppers), handful of olives, half a large can of salmon (bones & skin included), apple cider vinegar. 12oz sparkling water + 6oz home brewed kombucha (tasting the new batch)

Meal 3 (5:30PM): can of water-packed sardines, leftover oil-roasted potatoes (about ¾ cup), steamed greens (spinach/chard/kale mix, the whole 5oz bag made maybe a cup total once cooked). 2 fresh figs. 12oz sparkling water.

Had an unsettling experience at the orthopedist. Wrote about it here. But the good news is, he said I was free to run within the limits of my pain tolerance, that it’s a nerve injury and nothing musculoskeletal that requires extended rest, and he wrote me a prescription for PT. I’ll work on setting that up first thing tomorrow. Also on the to-do list for tomorrow: buy some more handy fat sources!

Day 23

Sleep: 10 awesome hours! Slept in until 7:00AM.

Meal 1 (8:00AM): 2 hard boiled egg yolks (saved the whites for post-workout), baked sweet potato (1.5 fists), half an avocado. 16oz black coffee.

Morning workout (10:00AM): 10 minute warm-up jog followed by 25 minutes strength training. This was in addition to the exercises I did at PT.

Post-workout (10:45AM): 2 hard boiled egg whites, small banana, 12oz home-brewed kombucha

Meal 2 (12:45PM): chopped salad: 2-3 cups chopped raw veggies (tomatoes, carrots, celery, bell peppers), handful of olives, half a large can of salmon (bones & skin included), EVOO & apple cider vinegar. 2 fresh figs. 12oz sparkling water.

No nap today.

Meal 3 (5:00PM): palm-size baked chicken breast, the last of the oil-roasted potatoes (3/4 cup). 12oz sparkling water.

Evening workout (6:30PM): 4 mile run, steady-state pace (8:35/mile)

Post-workout (7:15PM): 12oz coconut water

I called the physical therapy place this morning and they were able to see me right away for my initial evaluation and first session. I really liked the therapist. He assured me that my problem is highly treatable and that it all stems from a weak core that has led to excessive forces on my lower spine and irritation of the sciatic nerve. Interestingly he blamed not running but my job, which involves lifting and repositioning heavy patients (and in the ICU most of them are sedated and intubated and therefore completely unable to assist), and – this was shocking to me – cycling. He said that even though cycling may not hurt, the highly flexed position it puts me in is exacerbating pressures on my lumbar spine and compounding the problem. So, he gave me several exercises to do at home daily to strengthen my glutes and core and open my hips, and recommended limiting cycling, and, when I do ride, to try to be more upright and not spend so much time on the drops. As far as running, he recommended treadmill over street when possible, and limiting most runs to three to four miles at easy pace (although he did say one long run weekly was okay as long as the pain was within my tolerance). He did clear me for speedwork as long as I keep intervals short (200-400 meters) with full recovery in between. Longer fast runs, tempo and so forth, are out. He did say that overall I was likely overdoing it and that I need to moderate my training and try to listen more to my body: if something hurts more than a little, if I feel tired or worn out, if my form is affected – just take a day off. That’s hard for me, but I’m going to try.

I stopped at the grocery store this afternoon and bought a jar of organic virgin coconut oil. I had a little bit of sticker shock, but at least it looks like it will last a pretty long time.

Day 24

Sleep: 7.5 hours. Woke up at 4:30AM for work.

Mini-meal (5:00AM): 1 hard boiled egg, half cup sauerkraut

Meal 1 (7:45AM): 1 hard boiled egg, fist-sized baked sweet potato, whole avocado, small banana. 16oz black coffee.

Meal 2 (1:30PM): chopped salad: 2-3 cups chopped raw veggies (tomatoes, carrots, celery, bell peppers), handful of olives, palm-sized baked chicken breast, EVOO & apple cider vinegar. An orange. 12oz sparkling water.

Meal 3 (7:30PM): can of water-packed sardines, baked sweet potato (2 fists) topped with melted coconut oil, steamed greens (spinach/kale/chard mix, about 1 cup cooked). 12oz sparkling water.

Added the extra fats today. Didn’t feel much different but hopefully it stops the weight loss.

I got a call at work from my mom today that my grandmother is expected to pass away in the next day or two. She has been in hospice care for the past few months so we are prepared but I am still feeling very sad and a little overwhelmed by the need to make last minute travel arrangements, request time off from work, etc. Also worried about what I’m going to be able to eat while I’m away and feeling resentful I won't be able to go out for a drink with my brothers whom I see so rarely. Seems so selfish, doesn’t it?

Day 25

Sleep: 7.5 hours. Woke up at 4:15AM for a run.

Meal 1 (4:30AM): 2 hard boiled egg yolks (saved the whites for post-workout), baked sweet potato (2 fists) with melted coconut oil. 16oz black coffee + 8oz water.

Workout (6:00AM): 12 mile run at 8:20 pace (breakthrough workout, yeah!) At mile 6 I had a compliant babyfood pouch (banana-squash). Drank water several times throughout. Felt like a superhero!

Post-workout (8:00AM): 2 hard-boiled egg whites, half a baked sweet potato (less than 1 fist), 12oz coconut water.

Meal 2 (1:45PM): chopped salad: 2-3 cups chopped raw veggies (tomatoes, carrots, celery), handful of olives, baked chicken breast (3/4 palm, time to make more), EVOO & apple cider vinegar. Small banana. 12oz home brewed kombucha + 12oz sparkling water. Thirsty!

Meal 3 (6:00PM): half of a large can of salmon (bones & skin included), whole avocado, about a cup of celery and carrot sticks. 2 fresh figs. 12oz sparkling water.

I am definitely feeling Tiger Blood today, physically. My run was killer, my best run of the training season by a long shot. Emotionally though I am kind of a mess, all mixed up between mourning my grandmother and worrying about how I’m going to handle my Whole30 while traveling for her funeral and negotiating my family dynamics. Bottom line: I’ll do the best I can, and if I have to extend it a few days to get to feeling this good again when I get back, so be it.

Hi Quilter! Actually awhile back I checked in about that here and the verdict was that as long as I was eating a full template meal of protein, vegetables, and fats prior to my workout then no pre-workout was needed! Anyway what I am eating is way more than the recommended pre-workout, which is only a small amount of protein and (optionally) some fat according to the template, with no carbs. I make sure to eat it at least 90 minutes prior to my workout so I'm not running on a full stomach.

Day 26

Sleep: 9 hours. Woke up at 6:15AM.

Meal 1 (7:00AM): half of a large can of salmon (bones & skin included), whole avocado, about a cup of carrot and celery sticks. 16oz black coffee. Unusual breakfast for me, but I wanted to eat this stuff up before leaving for my trip.

Workout (9:00AM): 1 mile warm-up jog followed by 25 minutes strength training plus my PT exercises. Leg and back hurting pretty bad today after yesterday's long effort, which was disappointing.

Post-workout (9:45AM): 12oz home brewed kombucha

Meal 2(12:00PM): I packed and took with me to the airport 2 hard-boiled eggs and about 2 cups of cherry tomatoes. I added to this a handful of plain unroasted almonds from a big bag I bought in the airport (only ingredient is almonds). I figure if I'm desperate for something to eat over the next couple of days I can eat them, even if it's not an ideal snack, and since they are plain and unroasted I will be way less likely to binge on them. 12oz black coffee too.

Mini-meal (4:30PM): I was pleasantly shocked to discover at my layover in Newark that I could buy an Epic Bar. I had never had one before and it was actually pretty tasty. I had the beef, habanero, cherry flavor along with an apple and a bottle of water.

Later, once I had arrived and was with my family, we gathered at one of my aunt's houses for dinner. There was only pizza and hoagies and chips and lots of alcohol, nothing compliant, but someone had sent over one of those edible flower bouquets. So I drank water and ate some grapes and pineapple. It made for a fruit-heavy day but at least I stayed 100% compliant. No one made any comments about my food choices.

Winding down now at the hotel. Tired and back aching from the long travel day, but happy to be here with my family.

Day 27

Sleep: 8 hours. Woke up at 6:30AM.

Pre-workout (6:45AM): 10 almonds, 8oz black coffee

Workout (7:00AM): 4 mile run easy pace (9:15/mile) on treadmill in hotel gym

Meal 1 (7:45AM): I didn't have time for a post-workout and a Meal 1 before the viewing. But I did get lucky in that this hotel has a "breakfast to go" fridge with hard boiled eggs. So I had 2 hard boiled eggs, about half a cup of melon, and some blueberries. And more coffee.

Snack (12:00PM): On the drive to the cemetery I ate a banana I had taken from the hotel breakfast bar

Meal 2 (2:00PM): back at my aunt's house for Shiva. I also did ok here. This was a traditional cold Jewish brunch so there were some compliant things available. I had 2 more hard boiled eggs, some sliced tomatoes, cucumbers, and red onion, and some black olives. There was smoked salmon but since that usually has sugar in it I skipped it. I drank seltzer.

After this however my eating became pretty disorganized. I am proud to say that I did stay compliant but I grazed all afternoon. I ate a lot, I mean A LOT, of fruit, mostly melon. There was so much food, pastries and cookies and pies, and so much alcohol, and while I wouldn't say I was tempted, I just felt like I wanted to participate in some way. So I kept eating the only compliant thing out: fruit salad. In the end I felt stuffed and disgusted with myself. But at least I didn't break my Whole30.

Much later, after most people had left besides immediate family, there was another cold meal. I only had a piece of plain roasted chicken breast. I was still full of fruit but thought I should get some protein in. I asked my aunt about the marinade and she told me it was just olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic, and lemon juice.

She also gave me some leftovers for traveling home tomorrow. More hard boiled eggs, some home grown tomatoes, and an apple. Plus I still have almost that whole bag of almonds left.

Emotional day, and not so good on the food aspect, but not a total failure. I'm going to forgive myself and move on.

Day 28

Sleep: Only 5.5 hours. Stayed up late talking to my brother and cousins, and had to wake up at 4:45 for an early flight.

Meal 1 (6:45AM): Didn't get to eat until I got to my gate at the airport. Had 2 hard boiled eggs plus one extra egg white (the only reason I didn't eat the whole thing - I swear! - is that they were way overcooked and the yolks were greenish-gray and kind of gross), two small tomatoes from my aunt's garden, an apple, and 12 almonds. Black coffee.

Meal 2 (1:00PM): Back home at last. 2 palms baked chicken breast, arugula and tomato salad (2 cups arugula, 1 whole tomato) dressed with EVOO and lemon juice. 12oz sparkling water.

Meal 3 (6:00PM): 4oz can compliant water-packed tuna, 1 whole avocado, cup of carrot and celery sticks, baked sweet potato (2 fists). Half cup of strawberries. 12oz sparkling water.

Exhausted. Early to bed.

Day 29

Sleep: 7.5 hours. Woke up at 4:45AM for a run.

Meal 1 (5:00AM): 2 hard boiled egg yolks (saved whites for post-workout), baked sweet potato (2 fists), coconut oil. 16oz black coffee.

Workout (6:30AM): 8 mile progression run: 2 miles warm-up easy easy (8:30/mile), 4 miles at steady-state paces (ranging from 7:10 to 7:40), 2 miles cool-down easy (8:30/mile). Really tough workout made tougher by the fact I was running “with” my friend who is way faster than me (she’s a coach for the local high school girl’s track and cross country teams and a truly accomplished athlete – she actually ran 9 miles in the time it took me to run 8).

Post-workout (7:45AM): 2 hard boiled egg whites, banana, 12oz coconut water.

I noticed mid-morning that I was a little dehydrated (urine slightly dark), probably because of the plane rides the last few days, so I drank 24oz of water and it cleared nicely.

Meal 2 (12:15PM): turkey patty (2 palms) topped with sautéed onions (cooked in EVOO), green salad (no dressing). 16oz sparkling water.

Snack (4:15PM): Whole avocado. Not enough fat at lunch I guess.

Meal 3 (6:00PM): sautéed ground veal (1.5ish palms) with tons of veggies (tomatoes, onions, celery, carrots) including about a fist of white potatoes. Meat was pretty fatty. 12oz sparkling water.

Day 30

Sleep: 8.5 hours. Woke up at 6:15AM.

Meal 1 (7:30AM): 2 hard boiled egg yolks (saved whites for post-workout), baked sweet potato (2 fists), whole avocado. 16oz black coffee.

Morning workout (11:15AM): 20 minute (1 mile) walk on treadmill at 12% incline (back hurting a little, didn’t want to push it because I have a run tonight) followed by 25 minutes strength training.

Post-workout (12:00PM): banana, 12oz home brewed kombucha.

Meal 2 (12:45PM): chopped salad: 2-3 cups chopped raw veggies (tomatoes, carrots, onion, bell peppers), handful of olives, can of water-packed anchovies, apple cider vinegar. 12oz sparkling water.

The store was out of the sardines I like so I bought the same brand’s anchovies instead. They weren’t anything like the skinny little oil-packed ones that are so salty and come on pizzas – they were big and meaty just like the sardines and actually I could hardly tell the difference.

Had an hour of PT this afternoon, so no nap.

Meal 3 (5:00PM): palm size baked chicken breast, baked sweet potato (2 fists), coconut oil. 12oz sparkling water.

Evening workout: 4.5 mile run with speedwork: 1 mile warm-up (8:30/mile), 4x400m (6:30/mile) with equal recovery, 2x200m (6:00/mile) with equal recovery, 1 mile cool-down.

Post-workout: 2 hard boiled egg whites, 12oz coconut water

And with that – I’m finished!

I plan on one more full compliant day tomorrow – although I am going to weigh in. Then instead of starting my reintroductions right away I am going to celebrate my birthday this weekend with some off-roading to include added sugars (as an ingredient in savory dishes, not desserts) and alcohol but keep everything else compliant – no legumes, soy, dairy, or grains. Then on Monday I’ll go back to compliant eating for as many days as it takes to feel like I do now before I try reintroducing those other things.

Since this is my log, I’ll use this space to mention some totally non-Whole30 things that are really making me sad right now. The day after I got back from my grandmother’s funeral, my dog wasn’t acting right and seemed to be having some digestive problems. I took him to the vet, and what started out as an impacted anal gland ended up as a diagnosis of untreatable cancer. Then, the very next morning (today), my boyfriend’s business got some rather devastating financial news, which kind of throws everything up into the air for him (and by extension, us and our household). So between the expenses for the funeral trip, the veterinary bill, and the all-of-a-sudden uncertain future of his business, my traditional birthday weekend beach resort getaway had to be cancelled. I’m trying to see a silver lining there – fewer meals away from home means less off-roading and a quicker start to reintroductions? But this is really a lot of bad news all at once and a little difficult to handle.

Archived