Amish Butter vs. Pasture Organic Butter

bailey.derby

I just made my first batch of ghee, but I am nervous about eating it because I'm not sure I did it right. If anyone can help, please comment! 

So I put three large sticks (like really large) of butter into my crockpot, turned it on high and covered it for 45 minutes ish before I remembered you aren't supposed to cover it. A little while after, I noticed a lot of bright yellow substance forming on the bottom, with the clear melted butter and then the foam on top. So I stirred it.... it started to boil really quickly and the yellow film went away, but so did most of the foam on top. I waited for it to reaturn, but most of it didn't, just a little. It started getting brown and carmelizing, so I turned the heat off and double strained it.

Does anyone have any advice on whether or not I should eat it? Did all the proteins get out? I'm very sensitive to dairy protein, so it's not just messing up my whole 30 I'm worried about....

I just made ghee and I used amish butter I bought from my local co-op. Does anyone know if this butter is actually healthier than Organic Valley Pasture butter? It seems like it would be naturally organic and pastured, but if not I'll stick to the Organic Valley one since it's cheeper. Thoughts?

Oh, as far as Amish, I don't know... I have heard good reports and bad reports... Bad being they like snack food at Walmart like most other humans... Take your pick, if Organic Valley is better, so be it

Just avoid Horizon "Organic"... Feel free to look up how they are anything but organic...

• 2 months later...

The Amish butter in this area is Amish-style, which means it's rolled, an Amish method of butter making. It does not mean that it's organic or that the milk it is made from comes from Amish farms. Organic Valley butter is much better tasting, in my opinion.

Archived