Tips for a second go-round?

EmilyK

Hey everyone!

So, I'm planning to start a second "official" Whole30 on Sunday.  My first round truly was life-changing, and I have managed to maintain some of the things I learned but I've started slipping and slacking in a lot of areas and I'm starting to feel it.

Those who have done multiple W30s, how did your second (or third or fourth or whatever) go differently than your first one?

Thanks!

Thanks.  :) 

I am certainly not starting from as low as I began in February, and much of what I had to adjust to last time are still a part of my daily life.  But I need to snap back into line with the treats, the "occasional" flour tortillas or bread, and the daily glasses of wine--I'm starting to feel less than stellar overall and I don't want to slide all the way back.

A lot of the personal stresses I was dealing with have eased off or shifted some, so I'm ready to do this again.

Looking forward to hanging around here a little more regularly again, too.  ;)

• Administrators

A lot of the personal stresses I was dealing with have eased off or shifted some, so I'm ready to do this again.

Glad to hear this, Emily, I've wondered about you as the days have gone by.  :)

I found my later Whole30 efforts to be far easier than the first.  I never really hit consistent "tiger" blood as a sudden shift in everything I felt.  It was a much more gradual achievement of better health and feeling better.  I attribute that to more than just a change in diet, but the shift in food was the second thing in the series (significantly reduced external stress was first).  

I did find that it was much easier to work through reintroduction after the first time around -- I found that I understood the process and the reasoning better, and could be more conscious of the effects new foods were having on me.  It's still a work in progress, but hey, so is all of life!

ThyPeace, forget sugar.  Corn chips are my dragon.

Thanks.  :)  It was a rough few months--not only was everything going INSANE with my mom, but I was also trying to navigate the first few months of being married again.  Long story very short, I attempted to establish boundaries in order to maintain a relationship with her and that failed repeatedly, so I cut contact for the time being.  It's been difficult in its own right, but my anxiety has been a lot better and now I have a whole bunch of energy that needs to go somewhere again.  :)

I've been working intensively with my therapist to work toward finding my balance.  I know that it'll all be a lot easier if I can kickstart my nutrition again--I miss feeling so good!

I found my later Whole30 efforts to be far easier than the first.  I never really hit consistent "tiger" blood as a sudden shift in everything I felt.  It was a much more gradual achievement of better health and feeling better.  I attribute that to more than just a change in diet, but the shift in food was the second thing in the series (significantly reduced external stress was first).  

I did find that it was much easier to work through reintroduction after the first time around -- I found that I understood the process and the reasoning better, and could be more conscious of the effects new foods were having on me.  It's still a work in progress, but hey, so is all of life!

ThyPeace, forget sugar.  Corn chips are my dragon.

I agree w/ ThyPeace. My second W30 seemed much easier than the first. I was still trying to sort out some digestive issues, so kept a detailed log and I made it a priority to try new foods/recipes, mixing things up, to make sure I didn't get bored. Also the reintroduction was much more meaningful to me the 2nd time around.

I found my second and subsequent whole30s easier. I tried so many recipes in my first one that were either expensive, time consuming or horrid (chocolate chilli, I'm looking at you). The second time and in all the others I altered what I have always cooked and now don't really look at recipes much...easier, cheaper and I know we like what I'm cooking

Today for example I found chicken livers (not easy to find in the shops in my village and I don't drive) and I'll be altering my mother's recipe tomorrow, the one I grew up with oodles of mushrooms but without the sherry, and we'll be eating them with baked potatoes...the way she always served them ;)

Ooo, family stuff that gets crazy can really be tough, EmilyK!  Been there, done that, got the t-shirt and the post-traumatic stress stuff (it was my ex, not my mom).  The good news for me is that after years of severe stress, it shifted into just awful, and from there into relatively good and then very good.  So it is possible to work your way out of that hole!  Boundaries are awesome and always necessary.  When you can't maintain them, yeah, I've had to cut ties too.  Hurts like heck -- you are cutting something that's really, really important.  And that's why I have the handle "ThyPeace."  Because I chose peace over chaos over and over and over again until I started to get it right.  

Made life much better.

BritishGal, I am not brave enough to eat chicken livers, but the way you describe them sounds almost (almost!) tasty.  I'm still not going to try cooking them, but if someone else made them, I would possibly taste the dish! :)

ThyPeace, DH is making sausage and potatoes tonight.  With sauerkraut and apples and onions, all cooked in one pan.  I'm really looking forward to it.

I am currently on day 29 of my 4th W30 (over the course of two years). Each one is easier than the last because I'm not having to learn how to cook new food. Between the W30s I'm still eating 90% Paleo. Of course a little sugar/bread/wine/fill-in-the-blank gradually turns into a lot (at least for me) and I find a strict W30 gets me back to feeling great and reminds me to truly keep those "special" foods a rarity. All that to say, do it! It is all a process, and I find I'm learning more and more about myself each month that goes by. Best wishes!

Archived