So sore from work-outs

Deezah82

I'm on day 10 and feeling SO sore from the last couple day's workouts. I don't usually get this sore.

I do crossfit 4 times a week and am training for a half-marathon in early November which  means running 3 times a week.

Before starting my Whole 30, I would supplement with a protein shake in the morning and one within 30 minutes before or after crossfit. I would not have a second one on run days unless it was a run/crossfit day. (I do actually take breaks during the week--always have at least one rest day and listen to my body if an additional is needed.) I also used BCAAs during workouts.

I've been training like this for several years, so its not a significant increase in work.

Doing the Whole 30 does not significantly alter my diet--just cleans it up. The biggest difference is eliminating dairy and alcohol, Saturday pizza and mimosa cheat meals, and the occasion sweet cheat. And the elimination of protein shakes and BCAAs.

Exercise the last few days--rest on Saturday, run on Sunday (was supposed to be 6.5miles, only ran 2, walked the remainder because it was 95 degrees outside), crossfit Monday (metcon and skills work) and Tuesday (mostly strength work). 

Typical Meals: (generally follow the guide)

Breakfast frittata at 7a--eggs, veggies (spinach/cauliflower/etc), fat (either olives or avocado); slice is about the size of my hand, slightly smaller

Lunch--leftovers from dinner so meat, veggies, fruit (peach, apple, banana, grapes--pick one)

Dinner--very similar to lunch, eaten 30 minutes-1 hour after workouts or runs

Pre-workout snack--Run day--fruit, hard-boiled egg; crossfit day--hardboiled egg, nuts

I don't usually feel hungry between meals. I prefer fattier cuts of meat, so think I'm getting enough fat from those--but maybe not?

What can I do to help my muscles heal faster and not be so sore?!

Okay - a magnesium supplement should help with the muscle recovery soreness.  Most people, even with a healthy diet do not get enough. 

The brand we recommend around these parts is Natural Calm - make sure it's unflavoured.  You could also take an Epsom salt bath, or rub a magnesium oil on your skin after a shower.

Eggs - when eggs are your main source of protein for a meal, it should be the number of whole eggs you can hold in one hand.  For most women that is 3 to 4 eggs.  So my question to you - does your frittata have 3 to 4 eggs in it for a serving?

Also since you workout a lot make sure you are eating a starchy vegetable daily.  It makes a difference.

Also drop the fruit for your prework out snack.  You are better with the boiled egg nuts combo.  Personally I would go boiled egg olives as nuts are not an ideal fat source.

Are you doing a post-workout meal? It should be lean protein and carby veggies (think chicken with yams, tuna and potato). I would think that would be especially important on long run days, or days you do doubles (cross-fit and a run).  You need to give your body what it needs to repair and replenish after your workout.

I know you're eating dinner 30 min to 1 hr post workout, but if you just have even a few bites of a Post-WO snack directly after you'll still be hungry for that meal.

Archived