Day 10. I really wanted to quit.

MerAnne

Today has been rough, well the last few days actually. I feel totally exhausted and really impatient with my kids/husband- they are not loving that part. But today it was soooo hard to to slip up. I finished my 90 min Bikram class, which was (by my standards a sub-par practice) I was so mentally and physically exhausted it took every bit of will power not to leave. After all I wanted was a 7.2 Protein Smoothie. The thought of meat made me sick, I was not a big meat eater before Whole30 so the meat is a huge change for me. All I could think was how depleted my body felt and how good that shake looked at the juice bar. They are super healthy plant protein shakes, with no soy or whey but they contain a bit of brown rice protein- so they are off limits. They just looked so cold and hydrating and full of protein. I sucked it up and ate an epic bar (the only thing I had) and drank a big bottle of water. I'm not going to say my body felt better, because I had to literally choke it down but-my mind felt strong because I didn't break my whole30 and I stayed on track.

I still feel incredibly exhausted all day. I've decreased my running tremendously, in the past year I've never skipped training days and in the last 10 days I've skipped 3 and done crosstraining because my legs just felt horrible. And I was getting really depressed running at so much slower than my typical pace, so I decided to hold off on anything tough until the Tiger Blood. Which I hope hits soon. Anyways, I didn't quit but it was sure hard. My body doesn't seem super happy with me, but at least mentally I'm acting strong

I'm glad you made a great decision not to quit.  Those protein shakes are made of denatured protein. They're engineered in a lab and manufacturing plant.  The benefits are often more mental {convinced the marketing is true} than physical.  The true protein comes from whole foods.  Today on the news, after years of study on the elderly - seniors receive more nutrients from an actual salmon than Omega 3 pills.  They saw no real boost in their brain power over those who ate real fish.

Real proteins will trump any protein powder out there on the market.  

Just so you know, days 9 and 10 are the most popular days that people quit a Whole30. I tell you that to hang in there.

Further, it typically takes people 2-3 weeks of Whole30 eating to become fully fat adapted.  Another reason to stay the course.  Treat you and your body VERY gently during this time.

Instead of an epic bar for post wo, go for whole food of protein and optional carb. 

If meat is a big change for you, incorporate more fish, seafood and eggs for your protein.  Try different meat textures to see what works for you.

Keep on keeping on ... it may also help to remind yourself of all the reasons you chose to take on a Whole30, to keep yourself motivated.

Thanks, yeah I typically do meat and starchy veg after a workout but today I was away from my office (where my food was) running to a meeting after yoga and it was either epic bar or nothing. And I felt like nothing would make me pass out. I know it's all marketing, it's just hard to train my body to eat real food (history of ED here). It's a good thing, because Whole30 is helping to heal so many if my food fears. I just keep reminding myself that and hopefully my body will catch up soon. On the plus side it's been really beneficial to my marriage because I have an over paranoid husband who is always worried about me eating enough, and no that he sees me eating real meat and fat he's happier. I'm just hating the exhaustion, with a full time job, two toddlers, marathon training... It's hard to feel tired and weak all the time. Come on tiger blood!!

I'm only on day 4, but I can so relate. It's been hard to not have my protein shake after working out too! That cold and refreshing pull is there post-workout, whereas it feels like a bit of a chore to eat meat or a hardboiled egg with sweet potato when I'm still sweaty.

I am sore enough that I felt like my body needed a break from my workout yesterday, and I only did restorative yoga today. I'm hoping it improves soon (although if you're on day 10 that doesn't bode well for me) because I don't want to put my training work on hold due to body changes from W30, if I can help it. 

I'm only on day 4, but I can so relate. It's been hard to not have my protein shake after working out too! That cold and refreshing pull is there post-workout, whereas it feels like a bit of a chore to eat meat or a hardboiled egg with sweet potato when I'm still sweaty.

For post workout, the recommendation is protein and carb, no fat. As such, a hard-boiled egg is not the best option here, as the yolk is a fat.  Instead, go for egg whites, chicken or tuna, for example.

Archived