What symptoms did you feel with which foods?

jknolmed21

21 minutes ago, LeeAnn2017 said:

Maybe I just had a stressful day and just couldn't wind down or something. Yesterday I was SO tired. I reintroduced dairy and I had some AWFUL dreams (like multiple family members died). 

Could dairy (I'm thinking hormones) cause restless nights and weird dreams?

I'll vote yes. Be sure to keep a log!

But you van always do your other reintro and test again. 

30 minutes ago, wineisafruit said:

I reintroduced wine first and the next day I had 5 new breakouts and nasal congestion. Really disappointed, but good to know. I guess it's the sugar? Anyone else find that you immediately broke out after having alcohol?

Sulfites can do that

I completed my first W30 and this is my first reintroduction. I've introduced legumes and non-gluten grains so far. Oh, and sugar (just a small piece of dessert at the Super Bowl party). 

Legumes- I did fine with peanut butter. I had black eye peas and soy sauce at dinner. My stomach felt so heavy that night and the next day I had to go home from work. I was nauseaus, had a headache, and had some intestinal issues. I wish I'd not done both soy and peas. I have no idea what was the culprit. I'm pretty sure it was the peas that made my stomach feel heavy and I think the soy was the cause of the headache, but the stomach problems I'm not sure about. 

Non-gluten grains- I took the W30 book suggestion and had corn tortilla chips at lunch and that went fine. I had some white rice with dinner and the next day I was SO sleepy. 

Sugar- Had 1/2 of a homemade whoopie pie made by my friend that I knew was going to be fantastic. It was. I haven't noticed any effects today and was super proud that I was able to only eat 1/2 of one and resisted all the other cakes and desserts. 

• 7 months later...

I began the reintro 5 days ago. I skipped legumes as I don't have an interest in consuming them. I put half a cup of brown rice on my plate with breakfast and couldn't take more than two bites. Within about 30 mins every part of my body felt absolutely gross, like a neurosurgeon winched my head open and hit the bundle of nerves responsible for extreme disgust. Dairy was yesterday. Almost immediately after having yogurt I experienced stomach pain. Ice cream later on tasted phenomenonal but I experienced insomnia and horrific bloating/ diarrhea. I've been on the toilet for about an hour now and I'm laughing a little at the idea of having to take a day off because of milk 

Yesterday at a family gathering I had wheat, sugar, and dairy. Today I have a headache. No clue which did what. I find that a half glass of red wine is fine. A whole glass will give me a headache. Dairy if fine once in a while, but every day will cause congestion and a break-out on my arms.

LeeAnn: That's interesting about your reaction to dairy. My nephew has really bad dreams when he eats ice cream. So, yes, it could cause weird dreams.

• 4 months later...

I know this is a dated thread but it’s relevant to me as I’m approaching the last days of my Whole30.  

Im really going to have to decide if ANY food is worth introducing since I have had so many positive changes in the last few weeks.

Thank you to everyone who has posted here.  

I am keeping a daily blog on MyFitnessPal through my 30 days so I think I will continue it during my reintroduction...if I dare to add anything back!

So glad to have found this thread! 

I started reintro about two days ago, and last night when I had a small amount of beer and a bite of cheese my jaw ached so badly, like I got hit.  It was nuts... I've only ever had that happen when I've accidentally gotten into MSG (which I avoid like the plague).  I can't think of what else it was other than those two things.  Any one else come across this?

• 1 month later...

I'm vegan and used mushrooms for the major share of my protein intake.

Very surprised that at least certain use of legumes may be making me depressed. I have no idea what that's about and I haven't isolated it to more specific circumstances. And I'm not 100% certain of this yet either.

Anyone else have this issue? Any ideas on whether I should try to find what it is in certain legume sources that doesn't make me depressed. Travel, especially, is much simpler when you're vegan if you can consume legumes.

Thanks for finding this thread, it’s very relevant

On Saturday I reintroduced legumes, I wasn’t expecting any reactions but...

Breakfast included hummus for chickpeas ... happily I enjoyed the taste and had no adverse reactions 

Lunch included Kraft peanut butter (my regular) it didn’t taste great  ... omg ... stomach cramps & diarrhea within a half hour followed by muscle pain in my right shoulder radiating up into my neck.

Dinner included peas ... they were okay taste wise but nothing special... within a half hour I had some mild stomach cramps followed by the muscle pain again and then a brief headache... 3 hours later I was snacking on potato chips ..

• 4 months later...

Day 35 here... We are reintroducing foods in the "wrong" order to accommodate a work event where food will be limited.  We started a few days ago with non gluten grains (felt heavy, but no issues other than wanting to eat more carbs) and then reintroduced gluten yesterday.  The effects were immediate, but totally bizarre and I'm wondering if this was really due to the gluten or maybe lack of sleep or something?  We had a chicken and veggie wrap (in a flour tortilla) for lunch and a little whole wheat pasta with dinner.  My husband was uncharacteristically grumpy/angry all day and I was super gassy.

Could gluten really cause such a rapid mood swing in him, and uncomfortable gas in me? This was not the reaction I had expected!

Everyone is different but I know that gluten absolutely effects both my digestion and mood. I bloat immediately and over the next several days I have a severe increase in mood swings and anxiety. Its like my personality changes its so severe. I have tested it multiple times enough to know it is absolutely gluten and not worth it at least in my case. Its not what I expected either but it is real.

Peanut butter - made me feel bloated and gassy. I have never felt that before. Day 2 post peanut butter and still feel bloated. The peanut butter didn't have sugar, but had palm oil. I didn't finish reintroing legumes on Monday b/c I just had such tremendous gas. 

I am going to halt reintro until Monday. I am travelling this weekend and just don't want to not feel well while on the road. 

Of note - I can eat almond nut butter, like the kind you grind at the grocery store - and not have an issue at all. 

Also I reintro-d my pea protein with stevia smoothie mix this week. And BLOAT a rama. Not as severe as the peanut butter. I had been doing a few days a week of a hemp protein smoothie on mornings when I didn't do eggs for bfast. And I had no issues w/ that at all. It also didn't have stevia. 

I have been a huge user of stevia in the past. Intriguingly enough - I don't miss the sugary sweetness of it at all. 

On 3/18/2018 at 6:43 PM, uncledn said:

I'm vegan and used mushrooms for the major share of my protein intake.

Very surprised that at least certain use of legumes may be making me depressed. I have no idea what that's about and I haven't isolated it to more specific circumstances. And I'm not 100% certain of this yet either.

Anyone else have this issue? Any ideas on whether I should try to find what it is in certain legume sources that doesn't make me depressed. Travel, especially, is much simpler when you're vegan if you can consume legumes.

I am curious as well. Maybe it had to do with how it was cooked? I used to think that if I cooked the legume longer it was less likely to cause adverse reactions...

On 8/23/2018 at 7:44 AM, Babsie95 said:

Everyone is different but I know that gluten absolutely effects both my digestion and mood. I bloat immediately and over the next several days I have a severe increase in mood swings and anxiety. Its like my personality changes its so severe. I have tested it multiple times enough to know it is absolutely gluten and not worth it at least in my case. Its not what I expected either but it is real.

Thank you for that!  It was such a bizarre reaction and not what we were expecting, so I started to wonder if it might be other factors.  But we have had gluten once or twice since then and experienced the same things, though less severely.  For me I think it would be worth it for a real treat - but not for the convenience of a sandwich over a lettuce wrap.  I've been craving pizza for weeks and I think that would be worth it to me... once in a while at least.

On 8/23/2018 at 1:32 PM, -Kara said:

Peanut butter - made me feel bloated and gassy. I have never felt that before. Day 2 post peanut butter and still feel bloated. The peanut butter didn't have sugar, but had palm oil. I didn't finish reintroing legumes on Monday b/c I just had such tremendous gas. 

Me, too!  Actually most things I had a reaction to, just made me bloated and gassy.  When eating actual peanuts (whole as a snack, like the ones in the shell you might find at a circus) the effects were more severe.  Hubby got diarrhea - sorry for the TMI!

I'm happy to stick with almond butter... just wish it was a little cheaper.

Archived