Coffee and coconut milk

Katka

Hi can I have just a coffe and coconut milk? I found in istruction you are not supposed to make creamy thing to coffee made of coconut milk, almond flour and other ingredients but not sure about just coffee and coconut milk. Thank you

• Administrators

Coconut milk in the can is more likely to be located without any off-plan ingredients. I have heard rumours that certain variations of "Silk" brand are compliant but they certainly are not in my area (watch for sugars and carrageenan). I am able to find a carton coconut milk in my big-box store that is just coconut milk and water which is lovely......but I understand that this is quite rare. Your best bet is the cans.

Coconut milk in can or the coconut milk in the refrigerator section of grocery store (with the almond milk)?

As ladyshanny stated, your best bet, especially in the U.S., is cans, which you'll typically find in the Asian food aisle of your grocery store.  

Watch out for potassium metabisulphite in the canned coconut milk, which would make it non-compliant.

I am able to find a carton coconut milk in my big-box store that is just coconut milk and water which is lovely......but I understand that this is quite rare. Your best bet is the cans.

What brand is that? I used to buy the brand that Costco sold, but it had carrageenan in it so I stopped buying it a long time ago and hadn't looked at any other brands assuming they were all the same. 

• Administrators

What brand is that? I used to buy the brand that Costco sold, but it had carrageenan in it so I stopped buying it a long time ago and hadn't looked at any other brands assuming they were all the same. 

To be perfectly honest I can't tell you the brand.  It's a black box with red chinese writing on it.  I'm not even sure if it has an english brand name on it.

Just to return the favor, in case you did not know, Langley Farm Market in Pitt Meadows carries compliant turkey & chicken sausage by Freden which is a local company. No sugar or additives or nitrates. The other locations might too!

• Moderators

Just to return the favor, in case you did not know, Langley Farm Market in Pitt Meadows carries compliant turkey & chicken sausage by Freden which is a local company. No sugar or additives or nitrates. The other locations might too!

Right on, thank you!

I'll look up other places that sell Freden... I don't make it out of Vancouver very often ;)

• Administrators

The one on Harris & Lougheed?! I was just there!  Also note that the Jamie Oliver sausages that they sell at Thrifty's are compliant...for sure the herb & garlic one and I think the roasted red pepper and onion one.

The one on Harris & Lougheed?! I was just there!  Also note that the Jamie Oliver sausages that they sell at Thrifty's are compliant...for sure the herb & garlic one and I think the roasted red pepper and onion one.

Yes, that's the one! I wish I sent this a little earlier for you! Thanks anyway on the tip, but I don't eat pork and most sausages have pork. I didn't mention that Freden also sells beef, lamb, pork & chorizo sausages, but I have only ever had the beef too, which are compliant.

Sometimes they run out too (probably because of me!), so you don't want to miss out!

• Moderators

Thanks Ladies :)

No problem!  I would just kindly ask everyone in this thread to stay away from MY Superstore... It's like a hidden gem and I always sneak into the aisle, look around like I'm about to theive and then jam as many into my basket as I can lift... sometimes they go out of stock and I would be devestate to run out... so enjoy your new found black box coconut milk... just don't buy it from MY superstore ;)

No problem!  I would just kindly ask everyone in this thread to stay away from MY Superstore... It's like a hidden gem and I always sneak into the aisle, look around like I'm about to theive and then jam as many into my basket as I can lift... sometimes they go out of stock and I would be devestate to run out... so enjoy your new found black box coconut milk... just don't buy it from MY superstore ;)

That's okay, you can take Vancouver, LadyShanny can take Coquitlam, Fuzzeenavel can take Cloverdale and I'll take Pitt Meadows, is that a deal? ;)

• Administrators

That's okay, you can take Vancouver, LadyShanny can take Coquitlam, Fuzzeenavel can take Cloverdale and I'll take Pitt Meadows, is that a deal? ;)

Deal!  And following our complete wiping out of Superstore of all their Whole30 compliant coconut milk, perhaps we should consider getting together for a Whole30 potluck? And make all coconut-milk inspired things?!

• Administrators

Yes, that's the one! I wish I sent this a little earlier for you! Thanks anyway on the tip, but I don't eat pork and most sausages have pork. I didn't mention that Freden also sells beef, lamb, pork & chorizo sausages, but I have only ever had the beef too, which are compliant.

Sometimes they run out too (probably because of me!), so you don't want to miss out!

Yes, the Jamie Oliver are pork based....and you're not really missing out, they are just alright (and expensive) but handy when you literally just cannot make another meal from scratch.  But it sounds like you have a sausage sub, so that's perfect!  I'll try the Freden ones next time I come out there.  

There's an awesome source for chicken eggs out that way for $4.50/dozen.  Look up Reggie's Egg N Veg on Facebook.  It's 249 and 112A approximately (Maple Ridge).

Deal!  And following our complete wiping out of Superstore of all their Whole30 compliant coconut milk, perhaps we should consider getting together for a Whole30 potluck? And make all coconut-milk inspired things?!

The imagination boggles, no SWPO's though, I take it? (just kidding!) Coconut milk is like food for the gods on Whole30!

Yes, the Jamie Oliver are pork based....and you're not really missing out, they are just alright (and expensive) but handy when you literally just cannot make another meal from scratch.  But it sounds like you have a sausage sub, so that's perfect!  I'll try the Freden ones next time I come out there.  

There's an awesome source for chicken eggs out that way for $4.50/dozen.  Look up Reggie's Egg N Veg on Facebook.  It's 249 and 112A approximately (Maple Ridge).

I think the Freden sausages are quite tasty! I get Maple Hills (also local) eggs from LFM - $4.99 for regular or $5.99 for organic. There is also a couple farms around our area that sell eggs for around $5-6/dozen, when they have them. We like to try to support local farms too, but I will definitely check this one out too!

• Moderators

I do the Rabbit River Farms eggs from Richmond Country Farms (they sell them all over the place tho) and they're between $5.99 and 6.29/dozen organic, free range... I do feel the heft of all the cartons of large eggs lately tho because some of them are hardly 'large' so maybe the hens were feeling the effects of the heat.

RRF also sells duck eggs (delicious!) at the farm as well as most T&T's in the city.

Maple Hills sells organic "jumbo size" eggs which are truly bigger than a large size and at LFM, they are the same price as the extra large, they come in a slightly larger egg carton so you can tell they're bigger. You can buy Maple Hills anywhere too if you can't get to LFM.

• Moderators

Maple Hills sells organic "jumbo size" eggs which are truly bigger than a large size and at LFM, they are the same price as the extra large, they come in a slightly larger egg carton so you can tell they're bigger. You can buy Maple Hills anywhere too if you can't get to LFM.

I think they sell them right beside the RRF at the farm... I didnt' know they were local tho! I'll try them, thanks!

Sorry Katka for hijacking your thread!

I think they sell them right beside the RRF at the farm... I didnt' know they were local tho! I'll try them, thanks!

Yes, Abbotsford and they are quite good!

Sorry Katka for hijacking your thread!

Yes, sorry about that!

Archived