Preparation has Begun!

Lissa Kristine

So, I'm currently working on my preparations to begin my Whole30 on September 8 (SIX days earlier than I originally intended). I'm starting off by stocking up on some pantry staples. I've decided to take advantage of a free Thrive Market trial AND a couple stacked discount codes by stocking up on some things that I either cannot get at the grocery store I work at, or are more expensive at said grocery store:

-Paleo Mayonaise made with avocado oil 

-Lard

-Coconut Flour

-Coconut Aminos

-Shredded Coconut

-Avocado Oil

-A few various cans of approved seafood (tuna, salmon) packed in water and olive oil

Total after discounts comes to under $30. 

Granted, I can probably make the lard and mayo at home, but I'm a little overwhelmed by everything, so I'll buy it this time and make it next time. I AM going to make my own ghee, however. 

You're a thrifty shopper and you did very well.  You don't have to buy all of the fancy extras.  I get by with the bare bones which I use for Bone Broth, too.   Compliant tuna, salmon and kippers are part of my stashes of food. Vinegars. Olives.  KerryGold butter for making clarified butter.  EVOO and macadamia nut oil.   Avocados and every vege I can find. Berries.  I have my own freezer of beef, bison,pork, wild game and fowl.  We make our own jerky with a food dryer.  Compliant bacon from our meat processor.   Spices, lemons and limes, herbs.   Booch  {Kombucha} for the belly as needed. 

Don't be overwhelmed by the planning process.  Some have overplanned and let it get the best of them.  The flipside is trying to figure things out as you go which leaves you wide open for error.

Right in the middle is a good place to be.  I would say you're doing swell. 

I know I don't need all the fancy extras, but I figured a few splurges might do me some good. 

I plan on buying Kerrygold to make ghee. I have a coupon that will make the baking sticks $1.99. The store brand butter costs more than that! 

I already love cooking compliant recipes, so I have a few ideas up my sleeve- some recipes I plan on experimenting with and whatnot. I may use coconut flour and the mayo to attempt some kind of chicken recipe- similar to the mayonnaise chicken recipe on a jar of Hellman's. There was also a curry chicken salad recipe that was on the W30 Instragram page that looked interesting- and I'm not even a chicken salad fan!

And I'm SO glad I can still have my Synergy. If I find that I'm not feeling well- a cold symptoms or an upset stomach- I'll pick up a bottle of Synergy (usually Trilogy) and it helps. I can't take a lot of medicines- especially cough and cold medicines, so Kombucha is my go-to. (As are ice pops if my throat is sore. If I get a sore throat, I won't feel guilty freezing some 100% juice or pureed fruit and coconut water to soothe my throat. Is it SWYPO? Probably- especially for an ice cream lover like me-but I think it beats taking medicine with sugar and artificial colors and flavors.

I'm a little scared to try making my own, but I'm considering it. I figure buying it on occasion works for me- for now. I've found some fairly good deals on it at certain stores in the area, and I try not to drink it too often (I generally buy it a couple times a month). 

• Administrators

If I get a sore throat, I won't feel guilty freezing some 100% juice or pureed fruit and coconut water to soothe my throat. Is it SWYPO? Probably- especially for an ice cream lover like me-but I think it beats taking medicine with sugar and artificial colors and flavors.

Yes, this would fall under the realm of SWYPO and would not be permitted on Whole30, sick or not, unfortunately. There are many other options that are Whole30 compliant when not feeling well. Do you get sick/sore throat once a month? Hopefully not and you'll be fine during your Whole30. Probably best not to plan for what off plan thing you might do on the off chance you might get sick. I say this because that sort of thinking opens windows for allowing yourself to make decisions that are not in keeping with your original committment to yourself.

Actually, I am prone to getting coughs and sore throats that come on suddenly and can last anywhere from a day to three or four weeks. I usually try to ignore them, but they can get to the point where I'm downing cough drops and popping Advil like it's candy. (And my options for cough medicine is fairly limited since I can't have artificial sweeteners). I can't take any cough drops if I get sick (or, rather, if I'm still sick) come Tuesday because they have sugar in them. So, frozen fruit is my next best option.

Try making ginger tea if you have a sore throat or cough. It's best if you use fresh ingredients. I sing in a concert choir on a regular basis and frequently use this "singers cure" for a sore throat or cough: peel fresh ginger root and cut into thin slices. Fill the bottom of a mug with the sliced ginger, then fill the cup with boiling water. Allow this to steep for 5 mins, then strain out the ginger slices. Add some fresh squeezed lemon juice. Ginger is a natural anti inflammatory. Also, gargle with warm salt water every 2-3 hours. For a cough I also use eucalyptus and peppermint oil. Bring a pot of water to boil on the stove. Add 20 drops each of peppermint oil and eucalyptus oil. Turn off the heat and bend over the water with a tea towel over your head and breath in the vapor. Just be careful and don't burn yourself!

P.s. When not on a Whole30 I also add honey to the ginger tea. But it works well without it.

Archived