Confused about snacks?

Hi, today is day 3 of my Whole30 journey.  I read on the "Daily" that if you're hungry, eat; however, I've been avoiding snacks because I thought it was encouraged to keep at 3 meals a day.  I've been fine with just the 3 meals, but I do fill up quickly and I wonder if I'm eating enough.  I'll give you a look at yesterday's meals:

Breakfast: 2 eggs [from our chickens] over easy over a bed of salad greens with TBS chia seeds and 1/2 avocado and about 1/2 cup of locally grown cantaloupe.

Lunch:  Venison sautéed in coconut oil with mushrooms and red, yellow and orange pepper, black olives, 1/2 avocado,  homemade salsa over a bed of fresh salad greens; 1/2 cup of cantaloupe.

Dinner:  1/2 sweet potato [baked in oven in a little coconut oil], homemade spaghetti sauce [tomato paste, water, basil, oregano, parsley, salt and garlic and onion sautéed in coconut oil; I probably had about 1/3 cup of sauce] over a bed of zucchini "noodles" [lightly cooked in a little coconut oil] with about 4 oz. of local ground beef.  1 cup of locally grown watermelon. 

I know that we are supposed to eat fruit occasionally, but I'm also dealing with a thyroid disease that I've been told does better if I'm nourishing with good carbs.  Too much fruit???

Doesn't seem like many calories but I haven't calculated.  Should I be adding some healthy snacks? Today I did have a cup of coffee with a little homemade almond milk and a little coconut oil blended in the vitamix--Mmmmmmm, so good!

Thanks for any input.  

Your meals look on the small side to me. You want to work towards preparing 3 meals a day that fit the meal template and satiate you for 4-5 hours in between. When eggs are your primary protein you want to eat as many as you can hold in your hand without dropping them...for women that is usually 3-4 large eggs. 

We recommend limiting fruit to 1-2 fist sized servings a day best eaten as part of or directly after a meal. If you need additional carbs you should focus on increasing starchy vegetables as they are more nutrient dense and have less sugar than fruits.

If while you are figuring out how to compose your meals you are getting legitimately hungry (could eat something really boring and bland) we encourage having a mini meal as apposed to a snack. This should be composed of at least 2 of the groups (protein, fat, veg).

Hope this helps. 

You aren't supposed to make any type of fries from your potato or sweet potato.

What northwoodsmom8 did was fine, as she stated she *baked* her sweet potato fries.

Here is the official word from the Whole30 Can I Have Guide:

French Fries: Not if they’re commercially prepared or deep-fried

Ordering fries with your (no bun, no cheese) burger and green salad really misses the point of the Whole30. Fries are the epitome of “food with no brakes,” and anything deep-fried in vegetable oil is be default unhealthy. Make your own potatoes at home using coconut oil, duck fat, or ghee, and baking or roasting them in the oven instead of deep-frying them; or order them baked or mashed (no cheese, sour cream, or butter!) if dining out. - See more at: http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/#sthash.Lclm2QvP.dpuf

Archived