How (did) you re-add sugars?

jknolmed21

I feel like I want to stop watching so closely about my sugar intake. I obviously haven't had any for the 30 days, but I wanted to go to a coffee shop and have something there. I am not really craving it, I more just want a drink. I don't know. How do you decide how/when/if you add back sugar (or at least not watching out for added sugars in things as much)?

Assuming you're talking blatant sugar (e.g., in drinks, recipes and sweets vs sugar in seasonings and dressings in restaurants), it's really a personal decision to decide whether having sugar in drinks or sweets is "worth it" to you in a post-Whole30 world.

You might find the Whole9 guide to nutritional off-roading to be helpful: http://whole9life.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Whole9's-Guide-to-Nutritional-Off-Roading.pdf

I didn't do a formal reintro for sugar like I did for dairy and wheat.  I relaxed about added sugars in otherwise-good things (like my organic kielbasa, for example) and occasional treaty drinks from Starbucks (the Orange refresher is one of my faves) pretty soon after my 30 days was up.  I had really lost my palate for overly sweet things for a long time--it really took some extreme stress for me want and enjoy legit JUNK FOOD.

It's up to you, really.  If you want a drink, get one.  But you might not like it so much anymore.  ;)

Your condition of health coming into a Whole 30 can determine what you want to do going out of a Whole 30.   Some simply return to their original style of eating and that works for them.

Others, not so much.  For me, insulin primes the pump and sugar turns the gears.  If you find a little sugar starts messing with everything,  you can reevaluate as you tool along.

Just bear in mind that sugar is sugar is sugar, and despite what the food manufacturers would have you think there is not really any one type any healthier than the others.

Sugar, upside down sugars, honey, date sugar, molasses, stevia, fruit juice concentrates ...mmmm hmmm. 

We are planning to reintroduce sugar on its own:

Day 1 Legumes

Day 4 Gluten Free Grains

Day 7 Dairy

Day 10 Gluten

Day 13 We're either going to break out anything that we suspect bothered us in first couple of days (corn? soy? peanuts? we'll see how we react)

And lastly on Day 16 We'll reintroduce sugar (followed by two days eating W30)

So, essentially we'll take the month to see what we can learn about what contributes to our seasonal allergies or acne or muscle aches, etc.

Archived