Re-introduction while training for a half marathon

ktwhitwat

I was training for a half marathon for 6 weeks before I started the Whole30. I've been a consistent runner all of my adult life, but had more or less taken off two years due to an injury, and then pregnancy and being a new mom. A recent commitment to find ways to take better care of myself in my new life as a mom led me to both the half marathon and whole 30. The first two weeks of the program were BRUTAL on my running. I mostly felt good except during workouts, during which I was exhausted, sluggish, etc. I felt like I hadn't been running at all, instead of mid-training. By the third week, things got much better. I'm still about 30 seconds slower than I was before, but I feel strong and good and am enjoying my runs again.

My question is how to handle re-introduction post-30. I know I don't want to go back to the old way of doing things, but I don't want to risk low-carb eating and somehow disrupt my flow again. Is it better to just maintain the Whole30 principles for an additional month to get me through the race? What will happen if I introduce some whole grains and low-fat dairy? Any suggestions for staying on track with both would be great!

Thanks in advance for the help!

• Moderators

I'd say you could go ahead and do reintros according to the schedule. Just pay attention to how each thing affects you as you reintroduce it. Only you can find out what will happen. Try to log all the results including mood, stomach, energy, sleep, effect on running. Get detailed in your notes. And remember, sometimes you can feel somewhat ok when you intro something, only to discover that you're not ok eating it daily, only occasionally.

Good luck!

Archived