Time to ditch my rheumy?

I have been seeing the same rheumatologist for 10 years since I was diagnosed with Ankylosing Spondylitis. He is very smart (or so I thought) and in high demand. I have always valued his opinion....until recently. I have been unable to get pregnant for nearly 5 years.  A few years ago, when I asked him if he thought my inflammation had anything to do with it, he said no way. Today, at my quarterly check up, I told him how I was on a program (I did not say Whole30) and had cut out all dairy, grains, etc this entire month, but that my flares have been worse than ever ( I suspect I need to go AIP and cut back on eggs and nightshades as my intake has increased significantly while on the program). Before I could even finish my thought, he explained that diet has absolutely nothing to do with inflammation. Say what? this is SO closed minded. To not even be interested in what I have been doing and just shut me down like that stunned me, and pissed me off. So, I think it is time to find a new doc. However, how do I make sure I don't have this problem with another Doctor? I need someone covered by insurance because I do have to continue my Humira, but do I just start trying different doctors and feeling them out? Any advice would be appreciated (and if you are reading this and in the San Diego area, please give me some names!)

• 7 months later...

I was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis about 3 years ago. I had a HUGE flare and could barely move and made the appointment. Before the appointment, it was pretty clear that it was PA, so I had done a bunch of research. I talked to the doc about diet. She was "cautiously optimistic" - she explained that body of scientific literature did not support an anti-inflammatory diet for arthritis but that there were promising studies, unfortunately with conflicting results. I told her about an elimination diet I was considering and she nodded her head and said that being proactive was one of the best qualities in patients and encouraged me to do it as long as I was still eating healthy. She did warn me not to pin all my hopes on it and to research the various drug therapies that I could use as well (though she also said I was unlikely a candidate for them at the time since I had only had the pain for about 2 weeks and who knew how it would progress).

Anyway, I thought it was best of both worlds. A very matter-of-fact "science supports x" attitude combined with a "try it and see" one as well.

• 9 months later...

My rheumatologist is actually the one that introduced me to "It Starts With Food," & the Whole30 program, so there is hope out there.  I am a gastroenterology nurse, and there are mixed "reviews" with my docs regarding the Whole30 premise.  I decided to proceed with the Whole30 because I trust my rheumatologist and she has seen the results in many of her patients.  No change in diet should every be taken lightly if you have a health condition, and if my doctor hadn't told me about this, I wouldn't be doing it.

• 11 months later...

I agree, both my GI and RA docs recommended this program. A biopsy showed I have 80% fatty liver with my RA and they are working as a team to attempt to resolve starting with this program and exiti all methotrexate. P. S. My GI doc has same problem and is on W30. 

Archived