How to lighten up meat-heavy chili

robtish

I made the famous chocolate chili, but it was so heavy with meat that it was hard to enjoy. And I love meat. I realized it could use a second can of chopped tomatoes, but that wasn't handy so I tried a different solution.

Raw shredded cabbage. Added right before serving so it doesn't have chance to cook. I won't say it was a perfect solution, but it broke up the density of the meat, gave the dish a nice mild crunch, and added just a bit of sweetness without altering the basic flavor

Even better, it was a painless way to add vegetable (not a fan of vegetables!) and cabbage is quite healthy.

Give it a try.

I don't like chocolate chilli, prefer a modified version of my mothers...but regardless her (passed from her mother) methods of bulking may help?

For every pack of mince I use in chilli, usually 750g, I add at least 6 chopped bell peppers right after browning the mince...often 9 (they come in packs if 3 here...that's in addition to loads of chopped onions I add before the browning (probably double the cc recipe).

For all other mince dishes (cottage pie, ragu etc) I add at least the same amount of finely chopped mushrooms as I do mince...I don't do that for chilli but you could try it?

Oh and I'd add 2 tins of tomatoes ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Last time I made chilli (this week) as well as the usual peppers and onions I oven roasted a butternut squash and added the mashed flesh to my chilli just before the end of the cooking time...it was amazing and made the chilli thick and unctuous ;) I'll be doing it again. My chilli is 3/4 veg!

Vegetable stew!

We all grow up with different foods and different ways of cooking...chilli to me is my mothers (without the corn...ugh) and the chocolate chilli I loathed because it was heavy, far far too strong and muddled with all the spices. We don't all have the same tastes and the poster asked how to add veg (which I do). To me a stew would not contain spices or heat...but each to their own.

• Moderators

I don't know how to do this because wouldn't bulking the recipe ensure you get insufficient proteins at the meal o.o

Allia,

each meal should fit the meal template -- 1 - 2 palms worth of protein, 1 - 3 cups of veggies, and your fat portion. So you would want to eat your chili with additional veggies. Very few recipes are written exactly to fit the template.

Allia,

each meal should fit the meal template -- 1 - 2 palms worth of protein, 1 - 3 cups of veggies, and your fat portion. So you would want to eat your chili with additional veggies. Very few recipes are written exactly to fit the template.

Oh um I know! I just mean like, if the chili is lightened up with veggies how would you get enough protein ;; because then the same amount of chili would have less meat.

We all grow up with different foods and different ways of cooking...chilli to me is my mothers (without the corn...ugh) and the chocolate chilli I loathed because it was heavy, far far too strong and muddled with all the spices. We don't all have the same tastes and the poster asked how to add veg (which I do). To me a stew would not contain spices or heat...but each to their own.

I feel extremely stupid asking this because I do not usually consume chili, but wouldn't you end up not being able to consume as much protein if you made a really veggie-heavy one? Like, you would have to have substantially more chili to have the same amount of meat.

As in, if you mixed the vegetables in while making the chili, not at the end.

I usually consume about one cup of meat-heavy chili. If I were to make it vegetable-dense and consumed a cup of that, I wouldn't get to have enough protein. Do you have any way to combat this?

Sorry this sounds stupid x-x

I eat a large bowl full...that way my chili is mostly veg (like a template meal would be) but it certainly contains enough meat. Just a cup full of my chilli wouldn't fill me at all...

If you were to look at the original packet of mince I use and split it 8 ways (as I would to make burgers) it is more than palm sized...so an 1/8 of my pot of chili is a large protein portion plus more than the necessary veg requirement. Top with an avocado or bacon or other fat source and it's perfect.

• Moderators

I feel extremely stupid asking this because I do not usually consume chili, but wouldn't you end up not being able to consume as much protein if you made a really veggie-heavy one? Like, you would have to have substantially more chili to have the same amount of meat.

As in, if you mixed the vegetables in while making the chili, not at the end.

I usually consume about one cup of meat-heavy chili. If I were to make it vegetable-dense and consumed a cup of that, I wouldn't get to have enough protein. Do you have any way to combat this?

Sorry this sounds stupid x-x

Not stupid, I understand now what you are asking. You're saying you don't have a very big appetite.

What day are you on? Are you able to go 4-5 hours between meals before you start getting hungry again?

Even if you don't have much appetite, you should try to eat a palm to two palms size portion of protein plus 1 - 3 cups of veggies plus your two thumbs of fat (or half an avocado, or some coconut milk, or a big handful of olives).

If you can't eat that much, eat some of everything and wrap it up to take it along with you. When you get hungry again, eat the rest.

Not stupid, I understand now what you are asking. You're saying you don't have a very big appetite.

What day are you on? Are you able to go 4-5 hours between meals before you start getting hungry again?

Even if you don't have much appetite, you should try to eat a palm to two palms size portion of protein plus 1 - 3 cups of veggies plus your two thumbs of fat (or half an avocado, or some coconut milk, or a big handful of olives).

If you can't eat that much, eat some of everything and wrap it up to take it along with you. When you get hungry again, eat the rest.

I am on reintros! I often get constipated and have been for much of my life, (I suspect IBS... not sure, as I haven't talked about it with a doctor before) which makes it hard for me to eat a big volume sometimes. I am not sure about the 4-5 hours thing, as I think my hunger signals are slightly distorted due to stress right now. I think your suggestion, to set food aside for later, makes sense; thanks!

Archived