Starting September 7

giss7diaz

I have been trying to slay my sugar dragon today. There are cookies at my house and cinnamon twists from Taco Bell just sitting out. Taking everything in me not to eat them and to eat a burger and a pickle instead. Going to be a long 30 days. Does anyone have experience working out while doing the whole 30?

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was ok for me, could have been better. Since i didnt have to work i was able to spend a lot of time in the kitchen but i hadnt planned much for today so i got very hungry at lunch. I planned and prepped for the rest of the week today so tomorrow should be better. The hard part for me is at work when everyone is eating the cookies and all that at around 3pm. 

I didnt work out too much during my last whole30 because i just couldnt find the time with all the time i was spending in the kitchen but im trying to work out more this time around. 

Great first day!  We had farm fresh eggs with bacon, spinach, tomatoes, and guacamole for breakfast.  Lunch was a Spinach Fruit Salad topped with chicken breast. And for dinner my husband made a wonderful crock pot Red Sauce served over sauteed zucchini noodles.  I'm so glad the Red Sauce recipe made enough to have 3 containers to freeze for later.  It is so yummy - I highly recommend it.   

I keep some massaged kale in the fridge to be a base for breakfast every day...top it off with a couple of hard boiled eggs or leftover meat and throw in other leftover veggies, avocado, and even some fruit...apples of blueberries a favorite. This is meal one most days, with other meat and veggies set aside for lunch. I have lots of meats defrosting in the fridge, and I took my Instapot for its first trial run today...next time I will try it with some food in it!!

I just think of each meal and each day as a fresh opportunity to practice great habits that will stick with me after these 30 days.....

Hey katjames, I'm with you with the mid afternoon slump and date with the sugar dragon...I SWEAR that if you eat enough at meal one and at lunch...and that probably means more than you think of as your usual portions, and make sure you have good quality protein and fat at BOTH meals...you will be able to make it. Get up from your desk, take a walk around the building, go up and down the stairs a couple of times, DRINK WATER or tea...think of it as your chance to develop a bag o tricks to beat that sugar trickster...he is not your friend and will just leave you feeling bad and wanting more.

You can do it!!!

Hey everyone - I'll be starting tomorrow, Tue 9/8. This isn't my first go at it, but this time around, I would like to incorporate exercise, something I haven't been able to do in any of the past rounds. Will probably wait until this heat wave is over though.

My first Whole 30 was last October, and I managed to continue through to 60 days. Felt so much better: improved digestion, sleep, skin, etc. I actually just finished another round a couple of days ago, but for some reason, it was much, much harder, especially during the last week. I was very irritable and just plain angry with how "restricted" things felt. I think I was going through some sort of funk that extended beyond Whole 30 though (work, finances, home). Hoping some relief is around the corner. 

Did a bunch of food prep today. Meaty tomato sauce, spanish tortilla (basically, onion and potato omelette), prep'd chicken in brine to cook them up in coconut flour tomorrow. And then I have chicken-apple sausage and peppers waiting to be cooked for later this week. Last month's Whole 30 round got me back on black coffee, thankfully. 

Ok good luck to everyone, whether you've started or are about to. We can totally do this!

I have been trying to slay my sugar dragon today. There are cookies at my house and cinnamon twists from Taco Bell just sitting out. Taking everything in me not to eat them and to eat a burger and a pickle instead. Going to be a long 30 days. Does anyone have experience working out while doing the whole 30?

how many people live at your home?   Can you toss the cookies?  or request the others in your household hide them from you? My husband has gotten quite  creative hiding food from me (at my request!)  and he has agreed to eat non-whole30 trigger foods when I'm not around. There may be creative ways for others in your household to help you stay on track & slay that sugar dragon   --you can do it!!!

Thanks mergthemagnificent - great ideas! I will definitely be battling the "sugar dragon" this afternoon. I had a time with it last nite while reading before bed. I always snack - my recent addiction has been those Pop-Ice popsicles you buy for kids in the summer. All sugar.

Hang in there flora 123. I hope crazy life stuff won't be coming my way this month and make things harder. Sending good vibes your way :)

Good luck today everyone!!

how many people live at your home?   Can you toss the cookies?  or request the others in your household hide them from you? My husband has gotten quite  creative hiding food from me (at my request!)  and he has agreed to eat non-whole30 trigger foods when I'm not around. There may be creative ways for others in your household to help you stay on track & slay that sugar dragon   --you can do it!!!

There are 3 of us living there, and I didn't buy them so I can't really throw them out. Just have to tell myself "I  CAN NOT HAVE THEM" and walk away. Ate a dill pickle instead of a cookie yesterday and it seemed to do the trick! Will be moving to Germany with my husband shortly, and I'll have more control of the foods around us then. Thanks for the support! :D I think the next few days are going to be super hard. When my body realizes that I'm not giving it sugar or caffeine (I know I can still drink coffee, but am choosing to kick my caffeine addiction at this time as well)

Wow! There's already a lot going on in this group! Love it. I'll try to throw down some thoughts after reading all the latest posts.

Afternoon slumps... I get to get up and distract myself or have more water. I have a fitness tracker which also helps me get my bum moving at regular intervals. I never notice how long I've been sitting until it goes off. Although if I drank more.... Well, you know how that rolls.

Working out: I haven't added additional workouts to my routine but I also dance 3 nights a week which is pretty much a 3 hour aerobics class a pop. It's fun so you don't realize how much work you're doing but I burn a while lot of calories in one pop. I do take snacks with me to ensure I don't fall off plan.

I haven't done a weekly cook up yet. But I like the recipes already tagged here. Yesterday I distracted myself with house work. I've been trying to paint a bedroom for months.

For all this work, I had a good dream last night. They're starting early this time around. This one was about a bowl of Golden Graham. In this particular bowl, there was also lovely little square sugar granules in the cereal similar to what you might see on a muffin top. In the dream I'm picking out the sugar granules, nevermind that the whole graham itself was a no no. I realized this in the end but really, brain? How'd you come up with that one?

I hope everyone has a great day 2!

Until one is committed, there is hesitancy, the chance to draw back. Concerning all acts of initiative (and creation), there is one elementary truth, the ignorance of which kills countless ideas and splendid plans: that the moment one definitely commits oneself, then Providence moves too. All sorts of things occur to help one that would never otherwise have occurred. A whole stream of events issues from the decision, raising in one's favor all manner of unforeseen incidents and meetings and material assistance, which no man could have dreamed would have come his way. Whatever you can do, or dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Begin it now. ....William Hutchinson Murray

Anyone experience headaches early on in the program? Thought it might be from caffeine, but could abruptly stopping sugar cause this? Not quitting, taking an advil and pushing through, just curious. 

Yes, I got headaches...I'm pretty sure from the caffeine withdrawal....and then I got bloating....really unpleasant when I was hoping to feel better...BUT THAT CAME and then I felt great....so hang in there

Anyone experience headaches early on in the program? Thought it might be from caffeine, but could abruptly stopping sugar cause this? Not quitting, taking an advil and pushing through, just curious. 

Headaches are par for the course in the early days - particularly if you're withdrawing from sugar. Be sure to drink at least hlaf an ounce of water per pound of body weight, daily, and include a fist sized serving of starchy veg. Also, don't forget to salt your food, and remember fat is your friend...!!

Thank you both for the information. I found the timeline and actually found that really helpful to have a better idea of what to expect. So far the Whole30 program has answered a lot of my questions! I got stressed out at work today and had extreme sugar cravings today.  P.S. Sorry if anyone on here gets annoyed by my posting a lot, really trying hard to obey all the rules of the program and to make this change for myself. Trying to really take it seriously and stay accountable and connected to the program. 

GettinMyGoal.... I enjoy your posts. I'm brand spankin' new to this, so all of your questions and comments are info for me.

I didn't have time to worry about sugar cravings today - way too busy catching up from having a day off from work yesterday for Labor Day. I guess that was good, although a bit stressful trying to keep up and get things done before the end of the day. It's nice being able to come home and relax.

I had a hard boiled egg this morning for the first time in forever! I've had this paranoia about eating eggs for years now due to everything you read is saying something bad against them. It was delicious!

My first round I had them most days but water helped a lot so did a sweet potato. Needed to watch that hydration. It does get better though.

How did everyone do on Day 2?

It was a little hard for me but i made it! In the morning i was happy because i was able to get up early without snoozing my alarm 20 times! But then on my way to work i was very sleepy. I got very hungry at work at around 4 so i have to either pack more for lunch or have some emergency items. A coworker brought banana bread and it was sooooo tempting, everyone was eating it so i just took some advice i read here before and got up, got water and walked a little. 

I hope everyone is doing great!

Way to go giss7diaz....banana bread 0 giss7diaz 10!!

Those moments are so powerful, and when I give in to them, the joy is so fleeting and the regret so heavy...I just don't want to carry that anymore. I want to keep lifting that little two pound weight until I have REAL muscles...muscles that remember how to get me through the next time...and every time after that...

Good night on Day 2 and on to a GREAT day 3, everyone...

It was a little hard for me but i made it! In the morning i was happy because i was able to get up early without snoozing my alarm 20 times! But then on my way to work i was very sleepy. I got very hungry at work at around 4 so i have to either pack more for lunch or have some emergency items. A coworker brought banana bread and it was sooooo tempting, everyone was eating it so i just took some advice i read here before and got up, got water and walked a little. 

I hope everyone is doing great!

I hit the proverbial brick wall today.  I knew it was coming but I think it was harder to get back to work after a 3 day weekend.  I survived.  I count that a success for today.  I'm not hungry and I have a nice warm cup of herbal tea before bed.  Day 2 is in the books.   We're 6.67% there!  =)

Aw I'm glad someone likes my posts katjamez!! I was making the perfect mayo today and it called for one egg and I thought "hmm is that really going to be consumable?" Haven't ate any of it yet because I'm still a little freaked out about it. Great job everyone! Way to make a better choice giss7diaz! Mergerhemagnificent- just do what you can and you will build more and more muscles each time:). On to day 3 we got this in the bag! Had some more cravings tonight, didn't give in though. Think of our final results. How this program has such potential to change our lives. If nothing else, think of the accomplishment we will feel when we're at the end of our 30 days. Staying hydrated hasn't been an issue for me, I love water! Today's work out wasn't as strong as usual. That's ok though! Cutting myself some slack because the program does warn that this could affect physical performance in the first part of the 30 days. Hope everyone has a good day 3.

I was making the perfect mayo today and it called for one egg and I thought "hmm is that really going to be consumable?" Haven't ate any of it yet because I'm still a little freaked out about it.

Had some more cravings tonight, didn't give in though.

Have the mayo! It's delicious and I haven't had a problem and I've been making it for probably 6 months now.

Hooray for not giving into those cravings! It's tough sometimes and I have to hibernate away from food just to ensure I don't mess up.

Archived