Starting September 7

giss7diaz

I haven't seen dizziness outlined anywhere. Does anyone know if this is normal or what could cause it?

I haven't experienced dizziness, but there are a couple of threads about it on the Troubleshooting your Whole30 forum:

Maybe something there can help you?

I concur that carrots for breakfast are not enough.  And especially if you are working out.  Have you considered eating the pre- and post- workout mini meals?  That would also help, I bet.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well today is day 4 and it's been a little odd. The day was fine overall, but just an off day. I started out the morning with my workout which seemed sluggish. I didn't run as far as normal or as long. I did arms today and I didn't feel like I could push through as much. So I shrugged it off. Had a great conversation with my husband on the phone today (he's in Germany and I'm in the US). And went to happy hour with co-workers after work. No, I didn't eat bad or drink. Thought about it pretty heavily, but didn't do it. Ordered a burger (just the burger) and a salad with vinegar. On the way home from happy hour, I felt a little off balance/dizzy. I actually felt like I might pass out in the car when I was stopped at a light at an intersection. So I made it home, and went to my room to change and my balance was so off that I ran into the doorway passage as I was walking. As I write this, I still feel dizzy. I haven't seen dizziness outlined anywhere. Does anyone know if this is normal or what could cause it?

Breakfast: Carrots

Lunch: Lettuce, celery, cucumber, topped with chicken and hot sauce. Grapes and about 7-10 almonds.

Dinner: Burger and salad. Got home, ate some grapes

Have drank plenty of water throughout the day

Agree with other folks. Looks like you're not eating enough and might want to add in a complex carb like a potato. Maybe some eggs with those carrots and pre/post workout snacks.

I have a question for those of you who are repeats and diabetic / pre-diabetic.  I take my blood sugar levels in the morning and today, after 3 full days on the program, my blood sugar level spiked to 187 upon waking up.  I don't think I've ever had anything even close to that high (I'm not on insulin).  I'm eating very little fruit and plenty of meats, veggies, and fats.  Has anyone else had this happen?  I have my annual checkup in 3 weeks so I'll discuss with the doctor at that time unless it continues to be elevated.  Just curious if anyone has had the same issue or knows why that could happen.  Thanks in advance! 

Are you eating a lot of starchy carbs?

Well today is day 4 and it's been a little odd. The day was fine overall, but just an off day. I started out the morning with my workout which seemed sluggish. I didn't run as far as normal or as long. I did arms today and I didn't feel like I could push through as much. So I shrugged it off. Had a great conversation with my husband on the phone today (he's in Germany and I'm in the US). And went to happy hour with co-workers after work. No, I didn't eat bad or drink. Thought about it pretty heavily, but didn't do it. Ordered a burger (just the burger) and a salad with vinegar. On the way home from happy hour, I felt a little off balance/dizzy. I actually felt like I might pass out in the car when I was stopped at a light at an intersection. So I made it home, and went to my room to change and my balance was so off that I ran into the doorway passage as I was walking. As I write this, I still feel dizzy. I haven't seen dizziness outlined anywhere. Does anyone know if this is normal or what could cause it?

Breakfast: Carrots

Lunch: Lettuce, celery, cucumber, topped with chicken and hot sauce. Grapes and about 7-10 almonds. 

Dinner: Burger and salad. Got home, ate some grapes

Have drank plenty of water throughout the day 

Your breakfast isn't a meal, and it's very hard to pull back from a poor start to the day. THe recommendation is that every meal contain 1-2 palm sized pieces of protein, 1-3 cups of veg (with three being optimum), and 1-2 thumb sized pieces of fat (or a handful of olives, a dollop of mayo, some compliant bacon etc etc etc...)

You should also be incorporating at least a postWO meal of lean protein & optional starchy carb when working out.

It's hard to tell portion sizes in your other meals, but I'm guessing that overall they are too small.

Remember that the meal template is the minimum recommendation, and it's actually okay to eat more... you'll honestly feel better for it.

Thank you everyone who replied. I appreciate the input as this is my first whole30 and although I'm sure I'll get the hang of it, I'm in trial and error mode right now. I didn't even realize I wasn't eating enough, but that makes sense now. I guess I'm so used to eating small portions of crappy meals, that my brain needs time to adjust to being able to eat more of "good for you" foods.

Happy day 5! Who's all still with it?!? *Raises hand* 

Today I did not want to wake up at all to go work out...but I did. Had a better day in the gym than yesterday, but still not up to where I was. I'm aware that my physical performance may be lower right now though. 

What are everyone's plans for the weekend and what are your plans for eating in any "special situations" you find yourself in? 

Have a great day 5! ;)

My weekend plans are: Tonight:I'm going to see "The Visit" with a friend. Taking sparkling water with lemon and grapes instead of pop and popcorn

Tomorrow: I'm going to bury my Grandpa's ashes (he died recently and was cremated) and after, my huge family is getting together for food and drinks. Planning on eating before I go and then snacking on the veggie tray. Will be drinking sparkling water at that as well.

Sunday: I have a hot date with netflix! I'll be sticking around my house for the most part, so I'll be able to stick to plan pretty easily. 

Thank you everyone who replied. I appreciate the input as this is my first whole30 and although I'm sure I'll get the hang of it, I'm in trial and error mode right now. I didn't even realize I wasn't eating enough, but that makes sense now. I guess I'm so used to eating small portions of crappy meals, that my brain needs time to adjust to being able to eat more of "good for you" foods.

Happy day 5! Who's all still with it?!? *Raises hand* 

Today I did not want to wake up at all to go work out...but I did. Had a better day in the gym than yesterday, but still not up to where I was. I'm aware that my physical performance may be lower right now though. 

Yep, it can take a few days to get the hang of things so any questions don't be afraid to ask...

Your work outs may suffer for the first two weeks as your body adapts to the changes but so long as you're eating enough (& specifically enough fat) though you should overcome this & then power through.

Happy day 5 (even happier that its Friday  :) )!! Im looking forward to the weekend. 

My plans are:

Tonight- I'm just staying home watching Netflix and making dinner (im happy to eat a full meal at home and not eat left overs)

Tomorrow- Going to the farmers market in the morning to get vegetables and fruit for the week, take my dog to the park, and then watching football with some friends at a friends house so i plan on having lunch before and bringing sparkling water and compliant snacks 

Sunday- Meal prep day! Will spend some time prepping meals for next week and cleaning at home. 

My weekend plans are:

Friday dance like nobody's watching!

Saturday is weather dependent but a concert or two with food and drinks are in the menu and I'm planning to bring all of it with me.

Sunday Renfaire and an evening concert. I feel as though this day will be the most challenging. But I'm planning to do the same thing as the day before and bring stuff. Lots and lots of compliant food so I don't feel like I'll fall of the wagon. Cause steak on a steak sounds awesome. But I bet it's marinated. I'll also be surprised if I can find a salad there.

I made it thru the potluck and no one even KNEW that I was eating differently! since it was at our place, I knew that I could "bring" several things that would be healthy & have leftovers :)  I put out a tray of veggies, a huge salad and chicken marinated in Tessemae's dressing (great stuff, no sugar or additives!)  I loaded my plate with veggies and fruit and chicken and thoroughly enjoyed the evening. :)       the person that was going to bring pie (a personal favorite) ended up bringing cheesecake (I'm not a big fan of that) and that was the ONLY dessert; everything else was fruit, veggies & meat on the potluck buffet!! 

this weekend...?  laundry, cleaning and lots and lots of meal prep  -I am getting ready for surgery on the 21st and won't be able to do much with my arms for 2 weeks after that, so I have A LOT of meal prep to do!  this is my second surgery & after the first it was at least 2 months before I could cut a sweet potato!! My husband really took care of me, but I want to be more prepared!    

GMG & G7D - what are you watching on Netflix? I am looking for good binge material post surgery!

That's awesome JNardin! Proud of you!! Hope your surgery goes well and they get whatever's going on taken care of. Proud of everyone in the group! We got this!

Trixie- is Renfaire like a renassiance fair? My husband just went to one of those and I really want to go with him sometime. 

giss7diaz- Sounds like a productive weekend!

I really liked Narcos on netflix (about Pablo Escobar). I also have watched all the seasons of Orange is the New Black (it was alright- wasn't crazy about it because Piper got gangster). And am currently watching Season 2 of Bates Motel (which is kind of twisted on a lot of levels). I recently watched a movie called "If I stay", and that was a good one. The main actress in it is gorgeous and you can't help but love the character. I like the murder shows on there and the conspiracy theory shows. 

J.Nardin- Im planning on starting Narcos this weekend which I've heard is really good. I watched all seasons of House of Cards and Orange is the new black and they are both really good. The latest one i finished was New girl which is pretty funny. 

Woooo! Can't believe it's day 5 already! 

I'm starting to feel good and like I could really keep up this type of eating when 30 is over (which is SO surprising to me - I was the sugar/dairy/bread queen). The first few days were tough because it felt so "different" but now it's starting to feel normal and I know what to expect throughout the day. 

Some things I've realized lately: 

• I'm becoming a much better cook and so much more confident in the kitchen! I always wanted to improve my cooking skills and I think this really helps because you have to get creative (which for me is so fun). And there is something so rewarding knowing you made that mayo in your chicken salad from scratch! 

• One thing that's been huge: mindfulness and being “in the moment.” When I first started I was like "Wahhh I can’t have certain foods for 30 DAYS?!” But now I’m more likely to ask myself: “Can I eat right for the rest of the day?” or “Can I stick to it for my next meal?” or even “Can I NOT eat sugar right now?” and the answer is always yes. Taking it one day at a time (or one minute at a time!) really helps.

• A trick that works for me: I make it a point to not linger when looking at non-compliant food. If I go to the grocery store and see all the candy at checkout, I look at the magazines instead. If I’m driving and see a Dunkin Donuts (my fave) I just look to the other side of the road (or at the road, haha!). It’s not a thought of “Don’t you dare look at that” but more like I just glance away, which I think sends the message to my brain “Eh, not interested.” I also made sure to follow tons of other W30-ers on Instagram, Pinterest etc so when I’m scrolling through my feed and see someone eating cake or something non-compliant, its usually directly followed by a yummy W30 meal. Basically, I don’t even give my brain the chance to start thinking about how “good” something non-compliant would taste.

I can definitely see how this is not a diet though, it is a lifestyle change for sure! 

We’re spending a quiet weekend at home and hopefully doing some meal prepping. Hope everyone has a great weekend!

PS - I highly recommend Narcos also! And we're watching all the episodes of Psych again - it's just a lighthearted fun show and easy to watch on repeat.

PSS - gizz7diaz I see you're in ATL too - which famers market do you go to? Maybe I'll see you there!  :)

Just joining in if I may? My roomie and I started Sept 7 too. So far so good. Haven't had any of the symptoms described in the book except a very, very slight headache. We know we are doing everything right - religious about labels etc. and we were severe sugar addicts so I keep wondering why I don't feel worse! Bizarre to be actually wanting to feel crappy so I know it's working! I DO get hungry at night around 11. I'm a night owl. Usually have a banana or a hard boiled egg. I took last week off so we could get in the groove - made a ton of mayo and have tubs of pre-roasted veggies, cooked ground beef and undressed cole slaw ready for the week ahead. I work shift work. It changes from days to afternoons to overnights so I'm a little worried how that will go. Anyway...good luck everyone!

Just joining in if I may? My roomie and I started Sept 7 too. So far so good. Haven't had any of the symptoms described in the book except a very, very slight headache. We know we are doing everything right - religious about labels etc. and we were severe sugar addicts so I keep wondering why I don't feel worse! Bizarre to be actually wanting to feel crappy so I know it's working! I DO get hungry at night around 11. I'm a night owl. Usually have a banana or a hard boiled egg. I took last week off so we could get in the groove - made a ton of mayo and have tubs of pre-roasted veggies, cooked ground beef and undressed cole slaw ready for the week ahead. I work shift work. It changes from days to afternoons to overnights so I'm a little worried how that will go. Anyway...good luck everyone!

That banana is continuing to feed your Sugar Dragon when eaten on it's own like that - it's pretty high in naturally occuring sugars. Stick to the hard boiled egg if you really must snack, but you'd be better increasing the size of your earlier meal.

I had work today (but I was ready!).  I had my lunch packed.  Got home to find the husband making a lamb and eggplant stew.  It's an experiment, but we had these gorgeous eggplants (no macadamia nuts at the market = no ricotta stacks with those) and I found some discounted lamb, so BAM.  I'll report back if it's good.  I'm making some oven roasted cauliflower rice to go with it.  I prefer this method to others of making cauli rice because the result is nuttier flavor and drier "rice".

It's towards the end of Day 7 for me!  Tomorrow I get a treat.  NO, not that kind of treat.  I might splurge on compliant bacon or some such.  I did this every week for my last Whole30 and it was pleasing to get a little reward, but I tried to keep everything within the scope of my project.  Last time I got spices at Penzey's, organic cosmetics from Tastyface and a new exercise top.  It's neat to mark my progress.

Congrats to everyone in their continuing progress!

Well this weekend has been a little challenging, but definitely do-able to eat by whole30 guidelines. I stuck to the eating plan 100%. Even today, when my grandma made spaghetti - I stuck to plan. I am currently grilling hamburgers for the week. Planning on having one tonight with grilled asparagus and unsweetened applesauce. 

I had a hard time earlier today. Right around 1pm, my sugar dragon was being a pest and was telling me to go get Biggby (a coffee franchise here in Michigan, basically the equivalent of Starbucks). I was a huge Biggby addict before the program and if I cave for anything in this program, it will be for a nice warm "Teddy Bear" latte from there. But I made it through the craving this time so my sugar dragon will have to try again another day. I have been super lazy feeling and tired today. Actually just woke up from a nap a little bit ago. 

I've noticed that I don't usually experience too bad of cravings unless I see someone else eating the food. My weakness is definitely sweets. I went out to eat with a couple friends on Saturday and they got a brownie and ice cream for dessert and watching them eat it really made my cravings start. But I sat through it and the cravings stopped once we were walking out to the car to leave. 

What problems is everyone experiencing and how are you dealing with them?

I've pretty much outlined mine above. Sugar cravings, tiredness, grumpiness, laziness. If it's a craving, I let myself experience the moment, tell myself I'm not going to cave in and I'm 100% fine without it, and let the moment pass. Tiredness- I have only really experienced that this weekend and I have let myself take a 30 minute nap each time. Grumpiness- I tell myself that it is part of the program and it's normal and it will pass. Laziness- Haven't quite figured this one out yet as it's really only struck today (Maybe that's because it's a Sunday and Sundays are usually pretty lazy anyways)

Hope everyone had an awesome first week and now we can start getting out of the "withdrawal" phase and start reaping some benefits! We've made it past day 7! :D  :rolleyes:

This weekend was really eye opening for my husband and I- we realized how much of our weekends revolve around food and drink!  We found ourselves kid-free on Saturday and wanted to take advantage of going on a date.  EVERYTHING we would normally do is pretty much off limits now lol.  To make matters worse, the weather was rainy and terrible so we couldn't even do something outdoors.  We ended up going to Elevation Burger and getting lettuce wrapped burgers with sautéed mushrooms, sautéed onions, and tomato.  The meat is grassfed and the only other ingredients added are salt, pepper, and olive oil to those items (I checked!).  I brought our own spicy mustard from Trader Joe's that is compliant.  They even had a bottled sparking water with only lemon juice added that was really tasty!  Afterwards we went to a local sports bar and played pool and darts.  We got club sodas with lemon and lime.  Our bill at the end for everything (before tip) was $3.56!  I was shocked and actually thought it was a mistake...so on the bright side it turned out to be probably the cheapest date we've ever been on!  Then we came home and marathoned Walking Dead.  It was a great experience for us to have a fun-filled day without anything bad for us.  I am especially proud of myself for resisting the tator tots with queso that the bar had on special (may as well have been kryptonite for me)!

I didn't have much interest in doing a cookup this week, so I made some garlic cauliflower mash, and an eggplant/sausage strata thing and called it a day.  Oh, and spicy tuna cakes in the morning.  So I have *some* stuff.  Good thing I have a bunch of stuff frozen from previous weeks, because I am in NOPE NOPE NOPE mode today. 

My husband made me a spinach, mushroom and garlic omelet for breakfast, and then I made him waffles.  I didn't even feel tempted, which is pretty nice.  Although I had a dream much like giss7diaz's!  I accidentally ate a cookie and started to cry because I had to start over.  I don't remember these dreams from my first time, but maybe I had them then too.

We also went on a walk to see what might make a good route for me to start doing Zombies Run! (Or, more accurately, their couch potato to 5k program.)

Good job on rockin' out your Whole30 while out and about, Lauren.  That is an area in which I am still very hesitant.  I'm kind of a hermit anyway, so staying in is pretty normal....but I almost feel like I *can't* go out.  Maybe I'll follow your example and try a date night.

Congrats to everyone on completing their first week!

Awesome job everyone this weekend and completing week 1!

Yesterday was the thoughest day for me in terms of temptation. I went to a friend's house to watch football and for dinner everyone was getting five guys. I brought sparkling water and compliant snacks but was getting hungry. I researched five guys whole30 compliant options and was able to get a burger wrapped in lettuce with tomato, onions and mushrooms. The smell of the fries of my friends was soooo tempting but i didnt cave. After they all ate they were talking about how full and bad they felt that they ate all that food and it made me happy that i felt fine because i didnt eat the bad food. 

One thing that i've realized is that now i am more aware of the signals my body is sending me. I am more aware of when im actually hungry and when it is a craving. I am loving that!

Lately, i havent been sleeping as good as i did the first 2-3 days. I've been waking up in the middle of the night. I cant wait to be able to sleep better, its one of my goals for this whole30. 

Today i spent most of the day cooking!! Im exhausted, but i know it will be worth it when i save a lot of time during this week because of everything that i prepared. I made the chocolate chili, chicken fajitas (obviously no tortillas), shredded some sweet potato for breakfast hash and prepared some salads for lunches. What did everyone prep for this week?

This weekend was really eye opening for my husband and I- we realized how much of our weekends revolve around food and drink!  We found ourselves kid-free on Saturday and wanted to take advantage of going on a date.  EVERYTHING we would normally do is pretty much off limits now lol.  To make matters worse, the weather was rainy and terrible so we couldn't even do something outdoors.  We ended up going to Elevation Burger and getting lettuce wrapped burgers with sautéed mushrooms, sautéed onions, and tomato.  The meat is grassfed and the only other ingredients added are salt, pepper, and olive oil to those items (I checked!).  I brought our own spicy mustard from Trader Joe's that is compliant.  They even had a bottled sparking water with only lemon juice added that was really tasty!  Afterwards we went to a local sports bar and played pool and darts.  We got club sodas with lemon and lime.  Our bill at the end for everything (before tip) was $3.56!  I was shocked and actually thought it was a mistake...so on the bright side it turned out to be probably the cheapest date we've ever been on!  Then we came home and marathoned Walking Dead.  It was a great experience for us to have a fun-filled day without anything bad for us.  I am especially proud of myself for resisting the tator tots with queso that the bar had on special (may as well have been kryptonite for me)!

Your post was very inspiring!! I have felt like i cant do fun things because everything i typically do is related to eating and drinking. Seems like you all had fun!! 

Archived