Problems staying asleep

I'm not getting enough sleep at night.  I seem to wake up between 4:00 and 5:00 am every morning, even though it is still dark outside.  I get up and go to the bathroom (without turning on the light), but can't seem to go back to sleep.  I do occasionally sleep until at least 6:00, but that seems to be the exception, not the rule.  I have eliminated all of the light in the room that I can, but I can't afford black-out curtains (and I don't really think that is the problem anyway -- my room is pretty dark).  Any suggestions?  I've thought about trying to go to bed earlier, but then I would never get to see my husband.  :( Are there certain foods that help with sleep (or hurt sleep)?

I go to bed between 11:00 and 12:00 and fall asleep quickly.  And I stay away from electronic screens for 1 hour before bed.  I can't say that I have a bedtime routine yet.  But I don't drink any caffeine at all.  I've never been a coffee drinker, and I made the switch to herbal teas a long time ago.  Pretty much just drink water anyway.  Sunrise here isn't until 7:07 AM.  And I don't actually HAVE to be up until 8:00 AM.  But I'd be perfectly happy if I could rise with the sun.  I know I would feel better (and reduce those nighttime cravings) if I could get a solid 8 hours of sleep a night.

You can also try Amber glasses for a few hours before bed. These are the kind of glasses welders wear. They filter out blue light so the welder can see through the blue flames. You can get them for about 8$ on Amazon. Blue light from fluorescent bulbs, LED screens, etc decreases melatonin levels and blunts the natural melatonin spike. Wearing the amber glasses for a few hours before bed filters out the blue light. Yes, everything looks yellow, but I find I fall asleep much easier and rest much better on the nights I use them.

Archived