Failed Mayo 101

klassyart

Remember too to have your egg be at room temperature. Every time the mayo fails in my house that's the reason why.

I never bring mine to room temp and I never drizzle oil. A lot of it has to do with your process and how firm you like it. I did note my friend who did the Well Fed mayo process had much thicker than mine, but mine is plenty thick enough for me.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrators

Remember too to have your egg be at room temperature. Every time the mayo fails in my house that's the reason why.

This isn't entirely true.  I put all my ingredients in a jar (egg & lemon fridge temp, oil room temp), pop the stick blender in and press go.  Works every time.

• Administrators

This is honestly the strangest thing I've ever heard, klassyart!  I'm with Physibeth, can you post a video of yourself making it?

I use Chosen Foods Avocado oil exclusively.  

I have the deLonghi stick blender but I've also used the $9 store brand one and a $20 off brand one.  The two cheap ones I used on the higher speed and the deLonghi I use on about setting 4-5 of 6...so fairly high.  I've also done it successfully many times in my Kitchenaid Pro food processor with the drizzle method and in my husband's old Kenmore food processor that he got for a wedding gift over 40 years ago.  

SUCCESS! Finally! Thank you all for telling me to keep trying. I followed Ladyshanny's method and dumped it all in, at room temp, using Bertolli Extra Light oil, and it actually worked! And I love it. Now I see what all the fuss was about and I don't even like mayo but I licked the spatula on this one. As Gomer Pyle used to say, "Thank, thank you, thank you!"

OK, fingers crossed, I'm trying mayo again today after I go to the Farmers Market later this morning. I used up my last batch fairly quickly on ranch dressing and protein salad. I won't be confident until I've made it three times in a row. Will need another bottle of oil, though. Better stock up. I love this stuff!

Second time successful! Feeling better and better. Will do it one more time before attempting any changes, like using lime juice instead of lemon, using the bottled juice instead of fresh squeezed, etc.

Bottom line - don't give up if you, too, have failed Mayo 101!

post-59010-0-06305800-1441898434_thumb.j

Third time also successful! I think I've passed Mayo 101.

This time I used a cold egg right out of the fridge and lemon juice that wasn't fresh squeezed but out of one of those little lemon juice things, dumped it all in together and it still worked. I've concluded that the oil is the key and won't change that. I know people use avocado oil but that didn't work for me, so why try it again when I've found the one that works for me.

Happy mayo, everyone!

• 3 months later...

I'm hoping to revive this thread :) Just started my 1st Whole30 today. Last night I tried making mayo. Now I've made homemade mayo before, and it was delish. But I used vegetable oil, which I know is not allowed. Its not the technique I'm having issues with (both my batches of mayo did come out right as far as the texture is concerned) my issue is with flavor. Both batches tasted like nothing but heavy oil. Like HEAVY oil. Terrible.

Batch 1: I used a combo of avocado oil and extra light olive oil. Egg yolk, lemon, dried mustard, salt, and apple cider vinegar. GROSS!! Is it just me? Is it supposed to taste like this? I added more vinegar, added more salt. Nothing takes away from the super heavy oil taste.

Batch 2: I used the same combo, but mostly the light olive oil. Same other ingredients as batch 1. And STILL, very overwhelming oil taste.

I saved batch 1 and added in some fresh herbs, put it in the fridge to "marinate" and hoping it can be used elsewhere.

Maybe I'm just expecting it to taste like the mayo I've made before (which was delicious and tangy)? Maybe I'm super sensitive to the taste of the oil? Anyone else NOT like the taste of this homemade mayo? I am 100% sure that the olive oil was extra light and not EVOO, I triple checked that. 

Help! I love mayo and already planned so many meals around having it, but I cannot eat this one that I made.

It IS possible to pick up a bottle that has gone "off".  i had this not long ago and I am a long time mayo maker.

The mayo I was making from the particular bottle I had - tasted really heavy and oily tasting - kind of like your above description.  So I encourage you to maybe buy a different brand of Extra Light Tasting Olive Oil - or maybe buy a bottle from a different store.  Sometimes for some reason or other a bottle of oil has gone rancid.

My favourite mayo is 1 whole egg, squeeze of half a lime, 1/4 tsp of apple cider vinegar, 1/2 tsp of salt and a good tsp of Dijon mustard + 1 1/4 cups of Extra Light Tasting olive Oil. 

Tasting the oil before you start is a good idea too. If you really hate it, you're not likely to find it nicer when it's in mayo. EVOO is the one exception to this, it tastes fine except in mayo lol bitter oils only get more bitter.

I use three different oils (not at the same time) for mayo, light olive oil, avocado and macadamia.

All taste quite different and some brands are totally different. I only like one brand of avocado oil, all the others taste yukky to me.

Same with my olive oil, have tried some alternate brands, but some taste "old" and "stale" and some taste really fresh and yummy.

Macadamia I have less trouble with, but it's more expensive so I think they store it more carefully.

I've also found I don't much like the taste of ACV in my mayo (I use fresh lemon & lime), but I'm sure those taste different too, mine might be too strong.

Some of the tang in commercial mayos though is sugar and nasty oils. My old favourite mayo doesn't taste like my new mayo.

This is my favourite recipe, has never failed me: http://thehealthyfoodie.com/fail-proof-home-made-paleo-mayo-whole30-compliant/

Well, I had one fail, but it can hardly be blamed on the recipe ;) I put all my ingredients into a jar, that was too small to fit the immersion blender into :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

SUCCESS! Finally! Thank you all for telling me to keep trying. I followed Ladyshanny's method and dumped it all in, at room temp, using Bertolli Extra Light oil, and it actually worked! And I love it. Now I see what all the fuss was about and I don't even like mayo but I licked the spatula on this one. As Gomer Pyle used to say, "Thank, thank you, thank you!"

Second time successful! Feeling better and better. Will do it one more time before attempting any changes, like using lime juice instead of lemon, using the bottled juice instead of fresh squeezed, etc.

Bottom line - don't give up if you, too, have failed Mayo 101!

Third time also successful! I think I've passed Mayo 101.

This time I used a cold egg right out of the fridge and lemon juice that wasn't fresh squeezed but out of one of those little lemon juice things, dumped it all in together and it still worked. I've concluded that the oil is the key and won't change that. I know people use avocado oil but that didn't work for me, so why try it again when I've found the one that works for me.

Happy mayo, everyone!

So glad to have come across this thread! I made the mayo per the Whole30 book/Melissa Joulwan's recipe in my food processor with fresh lime juice and "mild & buttery" olive oil (a gourmet orchard brand that I had heard of, but never tried, and this appears to be their 'light' version). It tastes awful! I assume it's the oil, but based on the taste, I haven't mustered up enough desire to taste test the oil alone. I thought the consistency came out okay, but after seeing your picture, I think I need to blend it longer to get a bit more fluff. Like you, I'm not a (commercial) mayo fan - fine for mixing into recipes, not gonna slather it on stuff solo. Now I'm curious, if I will love it when it's made correctly!?

Going to pick up the "Bertolli Extra Light oil" and use lemon juice out of a squeeze bottle instead of fresh, as you recommend. Thanks, for being the guinea pig, and for voicing your trials here - helps us newbies! 

I made it again, and it came out perfectly! The olive oil is key! I tasted the oil I had used on the previous batch, and it was gross. I used to scrape plain mayo off my sandwiches, and now I eat 1-2 tablespoons with meals, dipping meat and veggies into it, even licking the spoon! I love this mayo! 

I followed the recipe in the Whole30 book, using Bertolli Extra Light Olive Oil, and fresh squeezed lemon juice. I made it in the food processor - mine has a great 'small tube feed' that drizzles the oil in through a tiny hole, and only has 2 buttons - on/off or pulse, so I just let it run for about 3 minutes I think, when I saw the emulsion get thick, and kind of flopping around the sides of the bowl as it spun. 

It is delicious! Thank you, to everyone on this thread for your advice! 

post-83154-0-20069500-1453522081_thumb.j

• 1 month later...

Good morning everyone!  I just tried the mayo recipe in the Whole30 book.  I did everything exactly to specification... room temp egg and lemon. Drizzle oil in very slowly.  Add lemon last. It turned out like soup.  I used extra light olive oil.  Could this have been the problem?  Maybe avocado oil is the way to go.  What a bummer.  We really need sauce!  LOL   Also, I used a hand mixer, as I have no stick blender.  I do have a regular blender.  Does this work better than a hand mixer?  Help would be greatly appreciated. :P

People make it both ways  I use a stick blender.. but others have success with a regular blender.. 

Good sized Masson jar

One egg  fresh out of the fridge or not.. either way works for me

1-1 1/2 tbls spoons apple cider vinegar

Good dash of salt

Good shaking of granulated garlic  

One cup of  Light Olive Oil

Add to jar in that order...

Lower stick blender to the bottom and turn it on..

Slowly  pull it up, while watching the ingredients turn into mayo,  

once at the top a few more ups and downs and vohlaa.. you have MAYO in its own container to boot!

The key is to get the emulsion started with only a little bit of oil. An immersion blender in a narrow jar works because not all the oil is mixing up with the egg at once. Too much oil in the blending process at the beginning leaves you with sauce, not mayo.

If you are using a regular mixer, then start with only a very small amount of oil, and drizzle the rest of it in after you see the emulsion form (should look like pudding).

Good morning everyone!  I just tried the mayo recipe in the Whole30 book.  I did everything exactly to specification... room temp egg and lemon. Drizzle oil in very slowly.  Add lemon last. It turned out like soup.  I used extra light olive oil.  Could this have been the problem?  Maybe avocado oil is the way to go.  What a bummer.  We really need sauce!  LOL   Also, I used a hand mixer, as I have no stick blender.  I do have a regular blender.  Does this work better than a hand mixer?  Help would be greatly appreciated. :P

I think you should try it again, exactly as before (follow the Whole30 book recipe precisely, using extra-light flavored olive oil) but using your blender.

It might be due to the hand mixer, which I'll assume is using 2 beaters or worse, 2 whisks? Beating the mixture may be over-processing (blending) the mixture and breaking down the egg too much? I'm not a culinary scientist, so I can't be positive, but the cage-design of 2 beaters would mean the mixture is passing through 8 rods (more if whisks) and you are stirring all of the bowl simultaneously. 

While the blender would provide 4 prongs generating a turning motion upward from the base, similar to that of a food processor, just not covering as large of a surface area. I make mine weekly following the Whole30 recipe in a food processor, and it turns out perfect! The only tip I've learned is to let the food processor run a bit longer, until the emulsion is thick enough to flop around with the blade spinning, and then I add the lemon juice and blend for about 30 seconds more.

Best of luck!  

• 2 weeks later...

My mayo failed :(  That's the second batch this week to fail and I can't afford to throw away any more expensive ingredients. 

I use the stick blender method, light olive oil and farm fresh eggs. All at room temp. Adding an extra egg yolk was a waste of a good egg. 

Are there any compliant mayos available in the shops?

My mayo failed :(  That's the second batch this week to fail and I can't afford to throw away any more expensive ingredients. 

I use the stick blender method, light olive oil and farm fresh eggs. All at room temp. Adding an extra egg yolk was a waste of a good egg.

Are there any compliant mayos available in the shops?

Did you add the egg yolk to the broken mayo? Or the broken mayo to the egg yolk? Only the latter will work....

I've been making olive oil mayo for a while now, but I was always doing the method of bringing things to room temp in a bowl, the doing the super slow drizzle of oil while using the stick blender. It always worked for me but was kind of a pain in the arse. I tried the method of using a wide-mouth mason jar, dumping everything in, and raising the stick blended up and down a couple times. So much easier, and the second time I did this I didn't let things come to room temp first. Still worked great! I'm very happy to have found this thread.

Did you add the egg yolk to the broken mayo? Or the broken mayo to the egg yolk? Only the latter will work....

I just dumped an egg yolk into the mix. I've done that before and it thickened up. If it happens again I'll try your way. Thanks .

I love homemade mayo, and I hated mayo before. I'd like to contribute to the technical library on making mayonaisse.

I use the whole 30 recipe and Julia Child's technique: my 30 year old cuisinart food processor and the drizzle method for adding oil. The first batch was full white and fluffy, made with 1.25 c light olive oil from the supermarket. It smelled a bit rancid at first, and I thought I was in trouble. That smell dissipated in a few hours in the fridge. May have been due to the heat of blending with metal blade. Best thing I made on Whole 30: tuna salad with homemade mayo. Heaven!

This morning I made a batch. I had only 3/4 c light oil left, so I used a scant half cup of my EVOO to start. It thickened ok, but was dense, not fluffy. It tastes different but since I used to make tuna salad with olive oil only, I will enjoy this. 

Sunny dry weather both days. Conventional wisdom says mayo (and hollandaise) will curdle or separate, during a thunderstorm or low pressure. How was the weather when your mayo failed?

Remember that mayo is basically egg and oil. If you can't save a batch, you can use it to marinate meat or vegetable for roasting, adding whatever flavored herbs and spices you like. You may even can use it to saute something or scramble an egg. No need to throw away good ingredients!

Can we edit posts? I forgot something. I wanted to mention how cooks used to make mayo by hand with a whisk and a bowl. I think you can use a hand mixer just fine. Adjust the timing till mayo looks right. It takes a bit longer than you think. Also better results if you have the right size and shape bowl for your volume of ingredients when using a hand mixer. 

Archived