Failed Mayo 101

klassyart

On 10/17/2017 at 5:16 PM, BarbaraP said:

I tried to make the mayo recipe in the book and it was a mess.  It would not "gel."  I had a bowl of nasty looking liquid.  My ingredients were at room temp.  Any suggestions>

What kind of blender are you using? Immersion tends to work best, but others have definitely had luck with others. If you add another egg yolk to your un-gelled liquid and re-blend it should come together!

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So we had two great batches of homemade mayo and thought we were experts LOL. The third batch is a liquidy mess. I have already read the posts about fixing mayo with a new egg yolk, tried it today and it is still totally runny (maybe I whisked in too much too quickly?) First I tried a hand whisk, nothing happened, so I moved to an immersion blender. Still nothing. Had to go to work so I threw it back in the fridge. Is there any reason to believe that if I mix it in a blender/ninja, it will emulsify at this point? Or do I just start over? If I should just start over, what can I do with this mayo-like substance? I have read you can use for cooking fat but I'd like to make a sauce or something from it if possible. Has anyone made a delicious salad dressing or anything like that? Thanks! I have already googled this and still don't know if I should give up on this particular batch.

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, hotwheels said:

So we had two great batches of homemade mayo and thought we were experts LOL. The third batch is a liquidy mess. I have already read the posts about fixing mayo with a new egg yolk, tried it today and it is still totally runny (maybe I whisked in too much too quickly?) First I tried a hand whisk, nothing happened, so I moved to an immersion blender. Still nothing. Had to go to work so I threw it back in the fridge. Is there any reason to believe that if I mix it in a blender/ninja, it will emulsify at this point? Or do I just start over? If I should just start over, what can I do with this mayo-like substance? I have read you can use for cooking fat but I'd like to make a sauce or something from it if possible. Has anyone made a delicious salad dressing or anything like that? Thanks! I have already googled this and still don't know if I should give up on this particular batch.

You can find lots of good sauces online to use runny mayo in... coleslaw dressing likes to be quite runny, ranch dressing

https://whole30.com/2014/08/mayo-ghee-sauces/

Here's an article that might help :)

I've tried THREE times to make mayo using the recipe in the Whole 30 book and every time it comes out runny like water!! 

What am I doing wrong?!?! I left the egg out to get to room temp, I slllloooowwwwlllyyyyy added the olive oil while the blender was running. I'm so discouraged, not to mention out of olive oil!!!

HELP!

Hey @Whit6410 - sorry to hear about the failed mayo - have you searced the forums to find a fix? This has been discussed at great length and there are a number of really informative threads on the subject.

Best way of searching is via Google. In this case type 'Whole30 failed mayo' into Google and see what you come up with......

Personally I 'dump & grind' - you'll see what I mean...... ;)B)

I was just hoping someone who had the same issue could say, "it's your blender..." or "it's the egg". You know, that whole forum thing where it's a real person that responds directly to YOU and not just searching endlessly on the internet.

But thanks for just telling me to google... 

6 minutes ago, Whit6410 said:

I was just hoping someone who had the same issue could say, "it's your blender..." or "it's the egg". You know, that whole forum thing where it's a real person that responds directly to YOU and not just searching endlessly on the internet.

All of the mods will suggest that you Google your query before asking as most of what you will want to know will have already been answered.

It keeps the forum tidy and saves us from having multiple threads on the one subject. 

Here's the first of the two most popular threads.....

And another....

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, Whit6410 said:

How would we know if it was your blender or your egg without being in your house?  The mods and everyone who participates in these threads are volunteers who generally do this during work and on our limited down time.  That means that when the information is all over the forum already in hundreds of posts, it's not a good use of our time to type out every tip and trick that is already mentioned on the forums.

@jmcbn also didn't say 'just google' she told you how this site is most easily searched using google so that if you have any other questions that may have a lot of useful information (such as 'can I have pancakes' for instance), you can find information easily at your fingertips.

Archived