Lori's Checking in

LoriLifts

Today is my first day of Whole30.

I'm the typical overweight marathoner who consumed large amounts of grains and sugar. I'm also the typical overweight vegetarian who consumed large amounts of grains and sugar.

Yesterday I ate meat for the first time in 25 years.

It should be an interesting month...

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm pushing my start date back to next Sunday.

Not because I need an extra week to eat large amounts of grains and sugar. It's because I have a marathon scheduled for next Saturday. I read in the FAQ that it's not recommended to do excessive exercise in the first 14 days of the program.

Last weekend I completed my first 50 mile race. Although I'm happy to done it, I hit the wall really hard from miles 33-46. I don't want to have that happen again.

I'll use this week to transition from a vegetarian to a carnivore.

Back next Sunday with a first day report...

Welcome to the Former Vegetarian Club! :) I was veg for 18 years before starting my Whole 30 in January and I also eased into it a bit. My suggestion is to get a good digestive enzyme with HCL in it (NOW makes one that a lot of people take) to help you digest the animal protein that your body isn't used it. If you're not ready to just dive into a big steak (I wasn't), start with shredded chicken or turkey in a soup or stew and work your way up to bigger portions. You don't want to have a bad experience right out the gate, you know? I ramped up my meat intake over the first two weeks using just chicken, and then about a month into it I added red meat, again, in a stew. Now I'm all about the meat, making bone broth and jerky and lamb. :)

Good luck on your marathon too! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Jess,

Thanks for your helpful tips. I wish I would have read your post before I began my "conversion to a carnivore" project!

I had to push my start date back again, this time it will begin Sunday, May 20. I needed extra time to introduce meat and poultry back into my diet. I think I'm fully acclimated now. Last week I wasn't sure I was going to be able to do it.

Who knows how I'll be in a month or so. Maybe I'll be making bone broth and jerky too! First I need to get used to seeing roast beef in my refrigerator.

wow.. no meat for 25 years.. and you run marathons.. COOL!... I went six weeks once with no meat, that was it.. I'm curious why you decided to eat meat (unless you're sick of talking about it).. I've told people at work what I"m doing and so far everyone has said "I thought you were eating healthy - you can't have red meat and ghee and be healthy!"... I need to be able to articulate why I'm doing Whole30...

Good luck on your marathon... and your Whole30!

Hi Annie!

I'm tickled pink that people are reading my ramblings!

My decision to eat meat again wasn't an easy one. I've been reading about the paleo lifestyle for over a year while still staying a vegetarian. I attempted to be a "primal vegetarian" a couple times. I ended up eating way too many nuts and fruits.

After many months of "should I" or "shouldn't I", I finally decided to fully commit to following a paleo diet. The only way I'll know if it will work for me is to jump in with both feet. And both feet means becoming a carnivore.

What's the worse that will happen? I'll go back to being an overweight bagel eating marathoner? I'll never know unless I try.

Thanks Annie, my next marathon is on June 3, I'll be about 2 weeks into the program.

So today is Day 1. My first Whole30 meal was a couple eggs and some melon.

I picked a jam packed month to do this program. I'll be traveling every week for work. Plus I'm doing another marathon.

I didn't want to postpone my start date again. I'll be Whole30 compliant while juggling lots of social situations.

I love a good challenge!

• 4 weeks later...

Look who's back in Whole30 town!

The good news is that I'm still wheat and grain free. The bad news is that I haven't been entirely Whole30 compliant.

But then I bought "It Starts With Food". I can't be wishy washy anymore. I need to get this done.

I'll be traveling for the next 2 weeks. During that time I'll finish the book then dive in.

Back soon...

I've been off of grains and wheat for a month. I've dodged many wheat mine fields during that time. Last week I was in San Diego for a business conference. Every morning I faced the bagel and muffin table, for lunch it was sandwiches. I resisted their carb-y siren calls and turned away. Although it's tough in the moment, challenges like this make me stronger. The more successes I can string together, the better I feel.

Now I'm back home and ready to begin the program, today is Day 1.

I love "It Starts With Food", I'm on my second reading. I'm keeping it on my bed table. Every night I'm going to read a few pages to ensure the info is permanently in my brain.

I'll be checking in daily for the duration of the program. Many people seem to record their food, I'll do the same.

I'll check in again later today.

I have a hard time eating clean when I travel for work, too. But, I typically manage to do ok. On the Whole30, though, I think we'll both be better with it!

Are you enjoying eating meat yet, or is it something you have to force yourself to eat? I'm just curious. The most I've gone without meat is 7 day and I was miserable...

Here's to the next 30 days!

Hi Karen!

I don't know which I'm more surprised by, giving up grains or how easily I made the switch back to being a carnivore. I was walking past a steakhouse the other day. A meaty aroma was wafting in the air. I said to myself "That smells delicious". I had to stop and shake my head! For 25 years the smell of meat would make me gag, now I'm craving it!

Since I'm logged in, I'll record what I've eaten today..

Meal 1 Eggs and fruit

Meal 2 Turkey slices, avocado and some cherries

Meal 3 will be dinner out with the husband. I'm going to have a bunless hamburger and salad

I also went on a 2 hour hike with my husband. I had some coconut water (coconut water rocks!) afterward.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the congratulations Karen!

Wow, lots of things have happened since my last post. Here's the condensed version..

-Since Memorial Day I've been off grains and wheat.

-Since July 4th I've been of sugar.

-A couple weeks ago I had a yearly physical from a doctor I located on the Paleo Physician's Network. Mostly I checked out A-Ok. Dr Gerber said I have one of the highest amounts of HDL cholesterol he's ever seen! That's a good thing since it protects me from strokes and other nasty things.

The one not so good thing was my weight..146 lbs..ouch. And my blood pressure was a little high. Double ouch. What I like about my Paleo Doc is that he didn't suggest blood pressure meds (I wouldn't take them anyway). Instead he suggested if I lose about 10 lbs, my BP will probably decrease. Since my visit I'm down to 142 lbs, I have a follow up appointment mid-August.

-So, I figured that Aug 1 will be a good time to re-start Whole 30. This time it's not just to fit into my skinny pants. When my health is involved, I can get serious.

I've got a couple days to transition off dairy. Compared to the grain and sugar monkey that was on my back, it should be fairly easy.

I also subscribed to the Whole30 Daily. Now that I've invested money, I'm commited!

PS..I must be the queen of starting and stopping this program. I was tempted to wipe the slate clean and begin again with a new blog. Then again, maybe someone else in cyber-ville has had a commitment problem. They can read my blog and say "At least I'm not as bad as walkerlori!" :)

• 2 weeks later...

Did I say Aug 1?

I meant Sept 1 ;)

Hold on..there's a reason to my madness.

I'm not procrastinating (well, maybe a little). The main reason is I'm in the middle of a series of athletic en-devours.

Last weekend I was in Las Vegas to complete a marathon.

In about 17 days (but who's counting), I'll be hiking in the Grand Canyon. Twenty four hours later, I'll be doing a 12 hour event in Las Vegas.

I've got events planned through the rest of the year. The only month that the calender is empty is September. That really seems like the perfect month to focus on a Whole 30 challenge.

So, until then, I'll remain grain-less and sugar-free. I still need to wean off dairy, that will be my project.

Thanks Maeva,

My path is chocked full of detours, dead ends and U-turns!

I'm actually thinking about starting August 12. I completed last weekend's marathon without consuming grains and sugar. The only tweaks I need to make is eliminating dairy and (darn it) wine. Dairy and wine wouldn't be in my backpack in the Grand Canyon. Nor would they be included in my food bag for the 12 hour race. Seems like starting on Sunday wouldn't be a bad idea.

Another good thing is that I'm going to be very busy for the next 4 weeks. I won't have much time to miss cheese and merlot.

My start date will be August 12. Thirty days later will be Sept 10.

Sounds good...

Go you!

You will learn a lot in the next 30 days I'm sure. I am on day 11, and I feel different even though this isn't even a big departure from my regular way of eating.

Check in often for support ;) .

Maeva

Maeva's on Day 11! Look at you go! Or should I say, Look at you eat! :)

One of my 30 day goals is to write in my blog everyday. There may be a couple days when I don't have internet access (like when I'm in the grand canyon). With those few exceptions, I'll be here. I also want to be an encouraging participant, I'm going to post at least one supportive comment to my fellow Whole30ers. We're all in this together!

Today is Day 1. I just had my breakfast of eggs and a peach sprinkled with nuts and coconut.

Since today is Sunday, my husband and I usually go for an afternoon hike followed by dinner at a restaurant. Today is no different. We've got a tough hike planned. Even though we did a marathon last weekend, we need to ensure our legs are ready for the tough elevations in the Grand Canyon. Afterward we're going to our favorite dinner place. It will be easy to be Whole30 compliant. I'm going to have a local, grass-fed burger (bunless) and a side of steamed broccoli.

Enough about me, I'm going to go read other people's blogs!

Day 2 and it's cool!

I had a strange but tasty breakfast this morning. I ate a piece of grilled trout with blueberries and coconut cream. Not mixed all together but eaten as a meal. That odd concoction kept me going until lunch.

I'm seeing a disturbing trend at Starbucks. I was there this morning for my grande black bold. Ahead of me was a woman with a girl who was maybe 10 years old. The girl ordered a strawberry frappachino with whipped cream! I know I'm kind of old but when I was growing up, no kid drank coffee. All that caffeine is bad enough but just think of all the sugar! That kid's going to be bouncing off the walls all day.

OK, I'm off my soapbox. Time to scramble some eggs..

As much as I try to convince myself otherwise, Pellegrino with lime isn't as good as a glass of Merlot.

:angry:

The good news is that I have fewer typos drinking water!

I subscribe to the Whole Food Daily. I like getting the daily tips and suggestions. My favorite part is when you click the link that said you had a successful day, you're taken to a short video. Today it was a sleepy bear! Yesterday was a man with a dog, a cat and a rat! I love them!

Archived