My 3rd Whole 30--Bloating?

This is my third whole 30.  Well, the second one I stopped at day 15 because I was losing too much weight too quickly.  So I started a third one to reset my eating.  My first W30 I felt great!  I was energetic and felt so good.  This time I'm bloaty and feel gross.  One difference is that for the 3 weeks before I officially "started" my first whole 30 I cleaned up my eating.  No ice cream, no fried food, none of that stuff.  This time before my whole 30 I tried to cram all that stuff in before I started.  Large blizzards, egg rolls, loaves upon loaves of bread (Okay that might be an exaggeration but still...).  Is this just my body detoxing?  I haven't changed my diet from my last ones to this one.  Typical day looks like this:

Breakfast:

Fried egg, banana & half of an avocado (sometimes mashed up with homemade salsa)

Lunch:

half of a sweet potato, chicken breast (cooked various ways), salad (kale, romaine, cabbage, carrots) with olive oil and balsalmic and a piece of fruit (an apple or banana)

Supper:

Turkey/chicken/beef, sautéed peppers/onions, salad, fruit salad, sweet potato of some kind (roasted, mashed, etc). 

This is the same types of food I ate last time and I was fine.  Does this mean I need to whole 30 until I'm not bloaty feeling?  That's what I'm thinking.  I don't think I have any other underlying medical issues.  What gives?

One thing that stands out for me is the raw veggies. That can cause bloat for some.

I'd advise switching to all cooked veggies, along with making sure you're drinking at least 1/2 oz of water per pound of body weight, daily.

Further, some tips to help you get the most from your Whole30.
- when eggs are your sole protein, the serving size is the number of whole eggs you can hold in 1 hand without dropping them. For most folks, that's 3-4 eggs.
- don't let fruit push vegetables off your plate. Aim for 1-3 cups of veggies per meal.

• Administrators

What day are you on, arosenberg? Bloating is a typical experience at around Day 8-9 and given the extravaganza you had prior to your Whole30, you could be right on track.  Check out the timeline article linked in my signature below.

I am on Day 15 and up until this week, I have felt fantastic but feel like I've hit a brick wall... bloating, gurgling stomach, sluggish.... I'm 100% positive that I didn't eat anything non-Whole30 compliant so not sure what is happening but it's strange and me no likey!

I am on Day 15 and up until this week, I have felt fantastic but feel like I've hit a brick wall... bloating, gurgling stomach, sluggish.... I'm 100% positive that I didn't eat anything non-Whole30 compliant so not sure what is happening but it's strange and me no likey!

Feel free to post 2-3 days worth of your food log, including portion sizes, water and other beverage consumption and we can see if anything stands out.

• Moderators

I see fruit in all 3 meals you listed. Is this typical or did you just have a lot that day? Fruit can cause bloating for many. We recommend no more than 2 servings of fruit, and advise using fruit more like a condiment than a side dish. Experiment. Some stomachs handle fruit better than others. We would much rather have you eat veggies, so there is no requirement to eat any fruit.

You can do this!

Okay--Thank you! to all of you who responded to help me trouble shoot this thing.  Today is actually my day 17, I was looking at the calendar wrong before.  AND!  I am feeling AWESOME!  I take a multi vitamin, trace minerals and fish oil.  So, this morning before I took all that I said "Hum.  I wonder what these have in them?" And?  Two of them had honey and one had soy!  So, I think my body was trying to detox but I kept feeding the beast.  I am feeling great!  And, I'm over the hump.  Cheesy, greasy, doughey stuff that I would normally go "Oooo that looks good" doesn't look good anymore.  Woot!  Doing a happy dance. :D

Archived