1st day NOT good!

lowreyredmond

Busy at work and with my kids, and obviously did not plan well enough. But I'm trying!

However ....

I cant eat reheated frittata! -- but I wanted to try since the easiest thing for me is to follow a meal plan, not ready to improvise

I can't make the mayo! - so my protein salad is dry tuna and dry spinach. I definitely can't sustain that.

Thanks for any help. I see a lot of templates but no meal plan with options like scrambled egg or frittata. protein salad or this. etc.

Thanks,

Lowrey

• Administrators

Hi Lowrey,

Why can't you eat reheated frittata? Personal aversion or you don't have a microwave? If you are heating it in a microwave and it's turning you off, try putting it in a baking tray and covering loosely with foil and popping into a 350F oven while you get ready for work?  This should make it less watery/spongy and more like fresh. Then top with some avocado and some cherry tomatoes.

Why can't you make the mayo? Did it fail? No time? Dislike mayo?

There are no specific meal plans to follow; we want you to eat protein, veggies and fat at every meal in the proportions linked in our template (below) but you are free to put whatever you like on your plate to make that work.  If you don't like eggs for breakfast, try ground beef/pork stir fried with some green beans, sweet onion, garlic, ginger on a pile of steamed spinach and topped with hot sauce.  Don't like hot sauce? Try that same stir fry but throw some coconut milk in at the end with some curry powder and serve it on a bed of sauteed cabbage for a creamy, warm curry dish.  Don't like that idea either? How about cold cooked chicken dipped in sunshine sauce beside half a peach and 3 cups of roasted brussel sprouts?  Hate sprouts? Try roasted butternut squash with a sprinkle of Ras el Hanout or Za'atar.  If you like the taste of the squash and za'atar, try this recipe and top it with three drippy eggs.  See the problem?  No one knows what you like...but you do!  You can make what suits your own pallette!  :)

Obviously dry tuna and dry spinach is the saddest meal ever, no one expects you to eat that for 30 days!  Check out Mel Joulwan's website and do a search for weekly cookups/weekly meal plans.  She has a lot of resources available there that you can start with.

Hey both,

Thanks for the replies.

I reheated the frittata in foil in the oven, hoping it was like a quiche. But I have a personal aversion to proteins reheated - especially eggs. I know I need to get over that since I need to have a lot of leftovers to make this program work. But this morning didn't work, even though the frittata looked beautiful and smelled great last night.

The mayo failed! Hoping to try again tonight or get other ideas on salad dressing.

I wanted a plan to follow the first week, so I followed the plan in the book to help me get started. But I didn't realize the frittata and salad dressing would fail. So I didn't have a back up. I love the ideas above, but right now it seems very time consuming and complicated. Right now, I'm not prepared to whip up a curry egg cabbage dish but I guess that is where I'm hoping to get by the end of this. On the weekends, I can do that sort of thing. But during the work and school week, I need easy! I wish there was a chapter or link that said click here for 5 easy weekday meals for the busy working mom. I'm sure there is one so I'm still hopeful ...

thanks, still hoping day 1 turns itself around.

It doesn't need to be fancy or complicated. Keep it simple: protein, veg and fat at every meal. Do that three times a day.

Make friends with your crockpot. Bulk cook on weekends. Use canned tuna, salmon, chicken and sardines, and compliant hot dogs and sausage. Always have veggies on hand (fresh and compliant frozen). 

You'll get the hang of it.  Have some compassion for yourself along the way.

I wish there was a chapter or link that said click here for 5 easy weekday meals for the busy working mom. I'm sure there is one so I'm still hopeful ...

I'm a single mum of two boys both of whom have extra curricular activities, I work five days a week, I train, and I study. Like Chris has said above I keep it simple. I cook at least one protein in my crock pot each week, one on my stove top, and one in my oven. I also cook at least a tray of oven roasted veg (none of which I peel to save time!), another of braised mixed greens (mixing up spices & extra ingredients each week), & make some homemade mayo, and I keep a steady supply of eggs, tinned fish, avocados, olives, oils/fats and salad veg. Every meal time I decide what protein I fancy, then build my meal around it grabbing the sides from what I've got in the fridge.

I keep the fancy schmancy stuff for when I've guests over, and I'm quietly hoping they don't eat it all....

Chin up - it can be overwhelming at first, but once you get into the way of things it all becomes second nature.

I would love some simple meal ideas! 

My Day 2 was better ... scrambled eggs so I didn't have to reheat. leftover beef/squash/pepper/tomato sauce, and then grilled chicken/cole slaw/roasted potatoes. 

I'm planning my meals for Day 3, thinking about other meal 1 proteins to get a break from eggs (sausage, bacon, etc), a steak salad for lunch ... so wondering if anyone had a lunch plan that isn't a salad, isn't leftovers, and is easy to assemble at work? Should i go deli meats? I still can't make mayo, so protein salads not working yet.

Thanks!

Hey Lowrey!

Once you get the mayo thing down, you can do canned chicken, with mayo, sliced dill pickles, and I even cut up some apple to add one time & it was DE-Lish!

For breakfast, I have found that baked chicken is really good. I cook several at once, and keep in a container so they're easy to grab & go. I add sliced zucchini or broccoli, throw in about 10 black olives. I can heat this at work, add some sliced tomato, and yum!

Also- ground beef is great. The other day I tried something new, it was so good. In one bowl I put a handful of spinach leaves, added ground beef, and sliced summer squash, about a 1/4 cup of my homemade ranch dressing and about a 1/4 cup of salsa. Heated, stirred and devoured.

So- probably more than you wanted to know about me, but it's my 2nd W30, and it works. On my first 30, I lost 16 pounds, and my cholesterol went from 221 to 184!

If you need help with the mayo, let me know and I'll ask my husband about a site he found with an instructional video.

Have fun!

Archived