Best Seafood Deals?

Shawie

I've always LOVED seafood, fish, shellfish, whatever if it once lived in the water I would probably eat it. lol  After doing the Whole 30 it's a fantastic excuse to eat more seafood for us. :)  I wanted to start this thread to kind of get a better idea on great values.  In your opinion, what are some of the best deals that you've purchased seafood for?

This morning I went to the local fish market and bought 2 mackerels ($2.50/lbs) - I'm not sure if that's a great deal or not but it tasted AMAZING. lol  Oysters usually run around $1.50 each ...not sure if it's worth risking buying from the store or just go to a restaurant for those. haha

Anyway, let's talk seafood prices people! Enlighten me. ;)

When I can get quality oysters at a restaurant for $1 each, I'm a happy camper.  Happened upon a deal at a Newport, RI restaurant this past weekend. (Benjamin's for anyone who lives in the area.) Yum-o!!!

If you have a Whole Foods near you, keep abreast of their fish sales.  I got wild coho salmon on sale about a month ago for $9.99/lb (usually closer to $17.99/lb).

Thanks for the tip Chris! At a local fish market there was a 5lb bag of frozen whole sardines for $10. I decided to give that a go. I remember my sister-in-law ordered sardines because it was the lunch special for $9.99 (it was only two pieces) so I decided that it was a good deal based on that. I've never fried sardines before but from the YouTube videos I've seen it looks pretty simple.

I usually watch for sales on white fish and salmon and stock up. Wrapped well and tightly or vacuum sealed (I love my Food Saver!) they keep in the freezer well for up to 6 months. Try farmer's markets, too. Here in RI fresh catches and even oysters are brought to the farmers markets and you can get them much cheaper because you are buying straight from the oyster farmer or fisherman. Also, you might want to search around on NomNom Paleo's blog. She is in CA and gets fresh seafood from some kind of seafood CSA type thing that she frequently raves about. I don't know if it's something that near you.

@GF Chris- We're in the same neck of the woods!! If you love fresh oysters try Matunuck Oysters, they farm the oysters right on the property, then bring 'em right to your table.

Archived