Craving all the worst things...

Hey all,

Let me begin by saying this is my third pregnancy. My first two were rife with nausea and exhaustion. I had lots of aversions, but no cravings. I was able to gain a minimal amount of weight and eat pretty healthy. I nursed my children beautifully. I ended up weighing less than before pregnancy, and actually formed some decent habits (simultaneously my husband was getting his act together in terms of food so it helped a lot). 

Over the past year I found Whole30 and I loved it. While I have never done a W30 since I have done lots of W5s, W20s, W7s... I can't say I annihilated the sugar dragon, but I have definitely enjoyed a lot of good and healthy eating.

Which brings us to today.... I have my first appointment with my doctor on Thursday, but judging by my LMP I'll be 9 weeks on Friday. I have no of the "bad" pregnancy symptoms such as heart burn, nausea/vomiting, exhaustion ( I personally attribute this to having started a W30 about 3 weeks ago) BUT I am having all of the symptoms of a bottomless appetite and craving junk! I just want all the bad things, pizza, ice cream, cake. I can't begin go tell you how NOT me this is! I am like, the healthy person! I mean I have always enjoyed cake, and I am about a size 6-8, so its not like I don't know how to eat.  I feel like I don't know myself.

I am really concerned about eating this crap and gaining a ton of weight. I have already gained about 5 lbs, which is a horrible trajectory for such an early start. I know so many people who never lose their baby weight and feel both uncomfortable in their skin and just blah and out of shape. 

Help! How do I eat veggies again? Do i just be gentle and eat lots of fruit, sweet potatoes, almond butter and coconut ice cream? Eat all the junk and worry about weight loss after the baby? Commit to a W30 no matter what my cravings are? 

Thanks in advance for the advice!

• Administrators

I don't think you have to eat all the junk nor do you have to eat all the veggies. If you are craving, try and figure out what you are craving. It sounds to me like carby, fatty foods. So maybe you need more starches, more fats. Its possible that right this moment you just need more food overall. The same as we tell people approaching their period to respect their bodies and eat more if they need it, we would say the same for you.

Are you having strong aversions? If not, try to eat more of the good stuff at meal times so that you can edge out that "need" for junkier stuff.

And if you have to go the cake and ice cream route then yes, try and choose alternatives that might be less disruptive to your insides.

Ditto what ladyshanny said.

I gained 15+ pounds during my first trimester.  My second trimester, I gained 1 pound.  Third trimester I packed on another 15+ pounds.  So 5 pounds early on doesn't necessarily mean you'll continue gaining at that rate throughout the pregnancy.  I was back below my pre-pregnancy weight (not shape) by my daughter's first birthday.  So, try not to stress about that 5 pounds too much.

I'm totally there with you! I didn't crave anything during my first trimester but the aversions were awful. I was eating straight carbs for several weeks straight (mashed potatoes, potato chips, GF toast, GF mac and cheese) and it definitely didn't leave me feeling too great but got me through. I gained about five pounds in a very short period of time as well from the carb-fest I was having just to survive. Once I was able to get past those, though, the weight gain slowed considerably and has evened out back to the recommended levels.

I'm 19 weeks as of today (almost halfway - how did that happen?) and my total weight gain is only around 12 pounds (I think - I didn't weigh myself very often but I usually fluctuated between 150 and 155...given today's weight and how my body looks, it's unlikely that I was 150 when I conceived because I'm 167 today and do not look like I've put on 17...how's that for confusing?). It's still a bit hard to tell I am preggo from the front or back...I definitely have a cute little round belly but I also still have an hourglass figure. The thing that has helped me the most lately as the aversions have passed but occasionally I'll crave something is to have what I want in a reasonable quantity after having something more healthy item first. So yes, I can have a small piece of that GF chocolate cake that is totally amazing, but first I need to eat my lunch/some applesauce with cashews/something to give my brain a little boost in willpower because it is focusing on something else.

I'm definitely glad that I'm not trying to do a W30 during my pregnancy at this point because I don't think I'd be able to. I've done two of them, I've done a Whole 14 and a couple W7s even. But my body right now wants two things: fat and carbs. I can eat sweet potatoes maybe twice a week before my body is done with them and white potatoes are okay but when I want something carby to go with breakfast it's my homemade GF bread or tater tots. Not at all compliant but if those are the worst things I'm eating this pregnancy, I can accept it.

Thanks for the input ladies. I have decided for now W30 is out. I ate a bowl of whole wheat penne, ricotta cheese and sauce last nigbt. I ate one serving and J was done. My first 2 meals were compliant and healthy, and I feel like if I eat one meal a day thst is not the greatest, that's ok with me. Plus what is important to me also is thst this was not a FWOB meal.

Try not to worry too much. During my two pregnancies I ate the worst I have ever eaten in my life, I did have terrible morning sickness with both of them and when I could eat it was pure junk. I even ate Big Macs and fries which I hated before and have never eaten since. I paid for it with a weight gain of 20kg's each time and I won't lie it has been a struggle to get it off but it really is possible to get back in shape and healthy again. 

Archived