Macros Addict and Pregnant and Curious/Concerned

Ok--So I've read on here that I'm not supposed to log, that I'm supposed to trust the system, etc. And I do... sort of. BUT I come from a 600 day streak of logging my food and watching my macros, and I've been told by nutritionists to aim for 20% Protein, 30% Fat, and 50% Carbs or thereabouts (since I'm not working out anymore). I was curious, so I logged my food today at the end of the day, and I got 32% Protein, 42% fat, and 26% Carbs. I get that Whole30 works--I trust that part of it, but I do want some actual explanation as to what my macros can be SAFELY for my body, especially while pregnant. I don't want to be doing any damage. I want science, not a lecture on trusting the system and not logging. PLEASE help. I've looked everywhere, and I'm not seeing the answers I need. 

So the fact is, you won't find macro guidance on a Whole30.

The closest you will get is the recommended meal template, which advises 1-2 palms of protein, 1-3 cups of veggies and the specified amount of compliant fat per meal. http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf Eat the first meal within 1 hour of waking, and build meals that satiate you for 4-5 hours. For pregnant women we typically advise to add an additional meal or mini-meal as needed, based on hunger.

Instead of giving specific macro numbers, Whole30 focuses on eating to satiety and composing meals using your individual hand/thumb size as a basis. The Hartwigs arrived at the template via much of the research and science detailed in It Starts With Food.

• Administrators

I do want some actual explanation as to what my macros can be SAFELY for my body, especially while pregnant. I don't want to be doing any damage. I want science, not a lecture on trusting the system and not logging. PLEASE help. I've looked everywhere, and I'm not seeing the answers I need.

Besides the fact that Whole30 doesn't address macro counting, I would also like to discuss the fact that no on can tell you this and anyone who says they can is lying. The body is flexible and resilient and adaptable. It's made that way because before computers and calculators and the common human learning about macros, people just ate. Food. In quantities that felt good and allowed them to do the things they needed to do. Science is not smarter than your body. Consider that you are pregnant right now and your body knows exactly what to do to grow that baby. It get signals from hormones and chemicals and it was born able to moderate its function to allow a baby to grow inside of it.

Eating food is no different. It responds to hormones and blood sugar and chemicals and it was born to be able to let your brain know what you need. If you can quiet the noise of "they" who are trying to tell you how to exist wihtout even knowing who you are and what you need, you can hear the signals from your body. I know it's scary and you indicate above that you are a macros "addict". During this pregnancy when your body is naturally tuning in to itself is a perfect time to allow it to do so with food as well.

If we told you that you needed 30% protein and 30% carb and 40% fat, what would you do on the days that you simply couldn't stomach protein? Or on the days that your body was screaming for carbs? What about when you're breastfeeding (assuming you do this) and your body needs as much fat as you can give it? No human body and especially not a pregnant one, is static. Take this opportunity to try and tune in to yourself, you might be surprised. NOTHING that you do, as it relates to food intake (outside of drugs and alcohol) is going to hurt you or your baby. The stress and anxiety you cause yourself from trying to put numbers to something as natural as eating....that can cause problems for blood pressure, cortisol etc and that is not good for you or your baby.

I'm 19 weeks right now and just wanted to say that listening to your body is going to be the key. I've just been eating what sounded good and for me, that has severely dropped my protein intake. Certain meats are completely out, some are okay in small quantities or if I don't have to be the one preparing them. I've stopped trying to force myself to eat exactly this or that at my meal and just ate what sounded good (within reason). The one meal where I'm the most okay with eating meat is dinner, so I try to eat a little bit of either meat or a non-compliant protein like Greek yogurt at breakfast and lunch so I have some. The thing I find I want the most for sure is fat, at every meal. Without enough fat (and I add it to everything at this point) I'm starving in 2 hours even if my plate was full of chicken, potatoes, carrots, and green beans out of the crock pot. It's all my body wants, and the richer (i.e. butter, not olive oil) the better. Oh, and I'm still on track with my weight gain and getting in walking and weight lifting at least 3 times a week.

Since you said you want answers, not lectures on trusting the system, check out this link from Melissa's article about Pregnancy and Aversions (which is http://whole30.com/2013/01/pregnancy-and-food-aversions/)- http://perfecthealthdiet.com/2010/07/the-danger-of-protein-during-pregnancy/. It does discuss macros some, but I'm not sure how much I'll trust their number (7% protein seems really low).

Archived