Muscle cramps, ouchy!

EllieBellie

Hey Paleo peeps

I've been getting a lot of muscle cramps in my lower legs and feet, which are kinda ouchy and can wake me up in the night. I never had trouble with this before turning paleo. After a little bit of googling I figure it's probably to do with not drinking enough or not getting enough calcium or magnesium.

Right now I'm living out of a suitcase and don't really have the means to cook up bone broth - are there any other ways to get calcium or magnesium in my diet? I already eat a ton of dense leafy greens like spinach and kale. I'd try supplements but I'm not sure which brands in the UK are deemed OK by paleo standards (I went to Planet Organic and Holland and Barrett and was rather overwhelmed but the amount of supplements on offer).

Any ideas?

FWIW I'm sure this muscle fatigue is not caused by exercising as I, er, don't really exercise as much as I should.

I woke on my first night with my right calf completely cramped up (to the extent that it is still sore today, 3 days later...). I remembered from my pregnancies that bananas were supposed to help with leg cramps (that and never pointing your toes). I have added banans in daily and haven't had any leg cramps since. Good luck!

Agh!! I am here to post the same thing. Yesterday was day 4 and I had major cramps in my feet during yoga last night. The kind that feel like your whole foot is twisting itself & won't leg go :( it would happen when pointing or flexing the foot. I do wear heels during the day & I'm sure this contributes.

I've been living Paleo for about 6 weeks prior to starting this whole 30.

I will have a banana this morning for breakfast it's the only thing I can think of unless anyone has some more wisdom to share??

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

I had a terrible leg cramp in each leg in the middle of the night last night! I'm going to try drinking more water and getting some magnesium.

If I can't find the Natural Calm brand, is there another you would recommend? How much would you recommend taking?

Archived